• This topic has 10 voices and 33 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Music is my life. The music of the Slavic countries I like the most. Now I discovered that one of my anscestors was probably from East Slovakia,Ukraine or  Serbia,Croatia.
    He had the familyname of Ikots, Ikats or maybe it was orginal Tkots ot Tkats. He was in the Austrian Hungarian army in 1715. He went to Flanders from a Slavic country.
    The family could not read or write.

I am (and always was) very interested in the so called “Verbunk” or “Verbunkos” music. That was the dancing for the recruts (Verbunk = Werbung in German) in that 18th century. Not much info is to be find on the origin of that music.  Everyone who like this historical discussion is welcome! I can speak in several languages. My native language is Dutch, but I understand German, English and Russian also.

So I have two things that I like to discuss , about the history of the family name Ikats,Ikots, Tkats,Tkots etc. and the history of the Verbunk music.
    This is a Slavic forum , but I am aware that the Hungarians also have the name Ikats and the Verbunkos. It is al about history and music..
    I hope that also Hungarians join me.

Dank U!

Anonymous

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Tkots ot Tkats

I don’t know how it shifted to Ikots or Ikats, but it’s probably originally Slavic surname Tkáč, meaning “weaver”.
    There is also a Hungarian form Takács (cs = č = “ch” in Charlie).

I hope that also Hungarians join me.

I haven’t met any Hungarian on this forum yet.

Anonymous

He was in the Austrian Hungarian army in 1715.

I’m not a Historian, but Austria-Hungary didn’t exist at the time. There was Habsburg Monarchy, which according to Wikipedia had no official name.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg_Monarchy

Anonymous

Oh, so South Slavs have a surname Ikač, but I don’t know what it means, unfortunately.

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis”  I might be getting the exact time period wrong, but wouldn’t that be (part of the HRE) Austria?

Anonymous

@aaaaa It’s a bit more interesting. They overlapped.

The Monarchy was a composite state composed of territories within and outside the Holy Roman Empire

Anonymous

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the interesting replies! The name Ikač, is pronounced and written Ikats in Flemish and Dutch. But due to the Flemish dialect an A can be pronounced as O , and a K, becomes in writing (1715-1800) a C.  So Icats or Icots = Ikač etc.
    Yes, it was the Habsburg monarchy.  After Spanish rule , Flanders became Austrian until Napoleon.
    In Slovakia I found also the name Ikots , however the Slovakians say that must be Tkats…Or Tkots.

You can write it also as  ИКАЧ,  Ikáč, Ikacz…….Can it be of Gipsy origin? The name is so rare….. The where very Roman Catholic.

The first Ikots in Flanders was a soldier (1730)  in the regiment Hoch und Deutschmeister. Could be recruted in Kaschau (Kosice), now Slovakia or Huzst (Ungvar) near Uzjgorod, now Ukraine.

Anonymous

@Frisian

Can it be of Gipsy origin?

OK, I found that word “ikáč” was (or is) a dialectal form of “tkáč” (weaver) somewhere in eastern Slovakia and Zakarpattia Oblast in Ukraine. The word itself is of Slavic origin.

The name could come to Serbia and Croatia with the arrival of Slovaks and Rusyns.
    In Vojvodina, Serbia they still speak their own dialects, which are official languages (among others) in the region.

Anonymous

I just did a quick search on facebook on Ikač and Ikáč. Haven’t found anyone with Ikáč surname, but there are plenty of Ikačs, all of them Serbs and Croats (judging by their first names and location). I also searched for Tkáč on this site and most of people with that surname are in the eastern part of the country. 

Anonymous

“The name could come to Serbia and Croatia with the arrival of Slovaks and Rusyns.
    In Vojvodina, Serbia they still speak their own dialects, which are official languages (among others) in the region”.

Kapitan Denis, this is exactly what I thought. The family name “Ikats,Icots” came originaly from Slovaks or Rusyns.
    Than moved to the south.

For me this answer is very important. It proves that the name is indeed from Slavic origin. Very sad that my father passed away some years ago, he should have known that one of his anscestors came from the East..  He loved the music from the east of Europe. Many records he sampled with folkmusic from Russia,Ukraine,Hungary.. In Holland-Belgium at that time in1935 the Hungarian music was very popular.

I always wanted to study Hungarian, but I decided to study Russian.

Than I was interpretator at a folk festival in Holland and met (East) Slovak music from Hummene , that was an eyeopener for me. The music preformed, sounded exactly as Hungarian , but the words where in Slavic Slovakian!  I love that music. I understand Russian very good , so I can understand a little Slovakian too.
    That is my humble opinion.   

Everyone asked me overhere, why are you so interested in “the East” of Europe and in Russian,Ukrainian?  Now I know why :-)  

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1zxejuYKM

A video of the folk dance you must now do at family reunions.

Anonymous

@Dušan

I just did a quick search on facebook on Ikač and Ikáč. Haven’t found anyone with Ikáč surname, but there are plenty of Ikačs

Eastern Slovaks generally don’t use long vowels neither in their spoken language nor written, except maybe interjections or in songs.
    I don’t know about Rusyns, but I think it’s the same.

Do Serbs and Croats write acute accent marks?

Anonymous

Famous Slovak cyclist with last name Tkáč 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Tkáč

Anonymous

Verbunk – Werberlied in German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTfBdxiIHN8

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” accent marks aren’t usually written, only in some special situations. If there’s need to differentiate kôd (code) from kod (at/by), sâm (alone) and sam (am, as in first person of to be). ^ is mark for long descending accent. You see there’s no accent mark on the more common word.
    So no Serbs and Croats don’t write accent marks unless there can be some confusion or people are discussing grammar :D 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • m1tric
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • Shvo
  • Australian Santa
  • ☭Lil Commie☭