• This topic has 7 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm just wondering if there are any people on this forum who enjoy reading Tolstoy, Gogol, Turgenev or other Russian writers from before the Bolshevic Era. I have also studied the life of Pasternak who wrote Dr. Zivago. I would be interested in other opinions about these guys. They each seem to have deeper underlying themes in their stories. (I also read them in Russian)

Anonymous

Pasternak was a Jew.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Pasternak was a Jew.

I never knew that. I just knew that he was much inspired by Tolstoy. What kind of connection is there?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:
    Pasternak was a Jew.

I never knew that. I just knew that he was much inspired by Tolstoy. What kind of connection is there?

His parents were Jews who converted to Orthodoxy.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I'm just wondering if there are any people on this forum who enjoy reading Tolstoy, Gogol, Turgenev or other Russian writers from before the Bolshevic Era. I have also studied the life of Pasternak who wrote Dr. Zivago. I would be interested in other opinions about these guys. They each seem to have deeper underlying themes in their stories. (I also read them in Russian)

Read in school, obligatory lecture. I did however started reading Tolstoy's "Cossacks" last winter, could continue since the winter is coming again.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
    Pasternak was a Jew.

His parents were Jews who converted to Orthodoxy.

I read that Boris Pasternak's father had painted a mural scene from Tolstoy's book "Resurrection." One of the most famous musicians such as Rokmoninoff or someone such as that, sat and played the piano in this room with the picture, for Pasternak's or Tolstoy's funeral. It's forgotten from my memory exactly.  I learned this information from the wonderful book called "The Icon and the AX," by Billinger 1972. This is my sourse and a fine scholaraly book it is too!

So therefore Pasternak's father must have been very fond of Leo Tolstoy and his free Christian approach. Lev Tolstoy was excomunicated out of the Russian Orthodox Church for being a free thinker. He believed that salvation of the soul was to be found by a man just by reading the Bible thinking about it himself, and living properly. When Lev Tolstoy died, sometime in the 1920s, I think, it is said that the Peasants of Russia lined the streets and roads of the land for his funeral.

So I don't really know who was what, and if the millions of Orthodox peasants of Russia were fooled by thier enemies or not. I tend to be more of a positive optomist than face what might be actual reality sometime. Sometimes it is what is percieved by the collective masses that makes up the social Civilizational reallity. But thanks for the info, i will investigate it.

Anonymous

Well, I'm ethnic Russian, studied in Russian school. I have to honestly admit, I can't stand Tolstoy, Dostoevskiy and the most of old books. IMHO they did not affect Russian culture, their boring books can be used as a wastepaper or Russian propaganda for foreigners, although after reading of their books foreigners think we're crazy  :D

Anonymous

Of course, I read almost all authors you have mantioned and some others too.
    Tolstoy was a great thinker but a very bad stylist. Chekhov was both.
    Dostoyevsky… well, he is a separate case, however. He's too grim for me but he had a great influence on Russian literature.
    Gogol, on the other hand, was a Ukrainian who wrote in Russian but his syntax gives him away as the Ukrainian. :)
    Pushkin was great in all respects. And there were many, many others. :)

Anonymous

I read (actually listened to audiobooks) them in the adult age and that's the right time to do it. These works are even useful to know the history better. Now I better understand the reasons for year 1917 revolution (or whatever) and the following civil war. Dostoyevskiy had warned of coming of these grim days 45 years before 1917 in Demons (Бесы).
    I liked most Dostoyevskiy for his fine language and style and for the depth of thought. I also liked The Minor (Недоросль) by Fonvizin very much. I liked other writers too.

Anonymous

just one thing that irritate me. dostoevski had great sense of humor. yes crime and punishment lacking that subtle humor, but idiot, brothers karamazov are full of refined comedy. anybody remember the scene from the train in idiot with general smoking and that lady with a small dog, i think thats the one of the funniest piece of literature in russian literature including gogols comedy play government inspector.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • GOGA
  • Jan Pat II
  • кошка
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • 'las