• This topic has 8 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Please post archeological costumes from Slavic countries.

Archeological costumes are reconstructed from remnants of clothes and ***elry found in ancient burials. Sometimes written sources (maybe in southernmost countries?) and founds in neighbouring countries etc. also play a role t in reconstructing costumes.

Don't forget to include location (tribe, region) and age. Also, you can include other related information regarding costumes.

Illustration (this not from a Slavic country, I'm just giving this as an example):
    http://www.antiqua.lt/images/kostiumai/Sela/IMGP9582-2.JPG

Anonymous

I don't have any picture but i read once that most of ***ellery, weapons, etc. in the graves of Carantanians and old Carniolans were off Franko-Avar blend with Slavic base. I am talking about 7th-12th century here. Almost always sources talk about grayish clothing. During the enthronement of Carinthian dukes the duke had to cloth himself in a simple costume of the common people. According to the sources the duke was clothed like this;

They dressed him up with gray jacket, red belt from which hangs a big red bag, the kind which fits for master hunter. He is given two red shoes with red shoelaces. Over his jacket they give him a gray coat and on his head a gray Slavic hat with gray ribbon.

Gojmir Anton Kos made a picture of this act but i am not sure how realistic is this deciption supposed to be. Probably it is kinda erroneous but overall it gives us a bit of a grip on how Karantanian costume of the commoners might looked like;

The Windisch or "Slavic" hat apparently had quite important role in the culture of Karantanian and Carniolan Slavs since in sources it is always stressed as Windisch, Windic, etc. hat and not just any hat. In fact the hat is also stuff of heraldry but since heraldry is of later times it is highly debatable weather originally in Karantanian times it realy looked like that or the hat "design" went through big changes in shape and size. The land which used "Slavic" hat in heraldy was called Windisch Mark which means something like Slavic march however technically it was part of Carniola.

Depiction of Wendic, "Slavic" hat in 1488. It is in the middle under the Moravian and Styrian CoA. Unlike the earliest sources which tell of full gray hat here it is painted black with red ribbons;

[img width=510 height=700]http://www.grboslovje.si/shramba10/haggenberg1.gif” />

Depiction from 1687. Altho from much later century it somehow looks more like according to old sources since it is fully gray with gray ribbons;

Anonymous

The costumes of Kriviches

The costume was reconstructed by the Braslau club of archeologiests
    Source:http://tverzha.ru/archives/1145

[IMG]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9608/pic1dj.png” />

J ewellery mainly
    Source: http://dom-np.narod.ru/rekon/stl/dresslav.html

Severyanka

Radimich

Vyatich

Ilmen Slav

Anonymous

Fourth exhibition of Slavs and Vikings of 9-12th century at Novosibirsk museum of local lure.

Source: http://sashka-nsk.livejournal.com/37056.html
    (Vikings costumes were also presented at the exhibition which I did not include in this post)

I suspect archeological artefacts were not used to reconstruct all the the costumes below. The costumes were presented in exhibition at musuem in of a large city, I assume the costumes are very close to what people wore in 9-12th century.

Russian caftan 10 century

Slavic costumes

The costumes of Knyaz reconstructed by Yulia Kubareva, Moscow.

The costumes of Knyaginya reconstructed by Yulia Kubareva, Moscow.

Slavic costumes reconstructed by Alexandra Elagina

Knyaz costume reconstructed by Elena Krivtsova

The costume of Vyatich woman reconstructed by Svetlana Pushilina

Headress reconstructed using materials uncovered in Chernigiv burial mound.

Military costumes reconstructed by Evgeny Elagin

10th century costumes by Alexei Rogolev and Svetlana Osadtchuk

Women’s corner! The costume is presented by Anna Luneva

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't have any picture but i read once that most of ***ellery, weapons, etc. in the graves of Carantanians and old Carniolans were off Franko-Avar blend with Slavic base. I am talking about 7th-12th century here. Almost always sources talk about grayish clothing. During the enthronement of Carinthian dukes the duke had to cloth himself in a simple costume of the common people. According to the sources the duke was clothed like this;

Every day clothes probably were gray in many places. People were buried (and also burnt?) with their festive clothes i.e. clothes worn for special occasions. I don't remember in which century but my people aslo were described as wearing gray clothes, however, they weren't buried with gray clothes.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Every day clothes probably were gray in many places. People were buried (and also burnt?) with their festive clothes i.e. clothes worn for special occasions. I don't remember in which century but my people aslo were described as wearing gray clothes, however, they weren't buried with gray clothes.

I found some pictures of reconstructed Slavic costumes from early medieval times taken from a Ukrainian book.  There are fine details and different colours used in reconstructions which maybe an invention of the author.

If you are interested I will post the pictures.

Anonymous

Costumes of Ancient Rus'

Реконструкция княжеско-боярского костюма
    (составлена М.А. Сабуровой)
    1 – одежда княгини; 2 – одежда князя (knyaginja/ knyaz')

Детали одежд и украшений княжеско-боярского костюма (составлена М.А. Сабуровой)
    1 – цепочка и нашивная дробница. Старая Рязань. Клад 1868 г.; (Old Ryazan')
    2 – цепочка и часть очелья на бересте с тиснеными дробницами. Набутовский могильник. Киевская губ.; (Kievan Oblast')
    3 – дробницы тисненые из позолоченного серебра;
    4 – колт серебряный. Гравировка, чернь. Святозерский клад 1908 г. Черниговская губ.; (Chernigov oblast')
    5 – фрагмент воротника шелкового на кожаной основе. Набутовский могильник, Киевская губ.; (Kievan oblast')
    6 – перстень серебряный. Гравировка, чернь. Клад 1869 г. ок. Спасска Казанской губ.; (Spasso-Kazan' oblast')
    7 – обруч серебряный. Гравировка, чернь. Киев, клад 1939 г.; (Kiev)
    8 – лента шелковая с шитьем золотной нитью.
    Шарки, Киевской губ. (Kiev oblast')

Парадная одежда княгини и боярыни (составлена М.А. Сабуровой) (Celebrate clothes of knjaginja and bojarynya)
    1 – церемониальный убор княгини с перегородчатой эмалью; 2 – одежда княгини с тиснеными дробницами; 3 – костюм незамужней боярыни

Комплексы городской и княжеской одежды по данным изобразительного искусства и археологии
    1-3 – одежда подростков; (clothes of teens)
    4 – одежда мужчины ("платно"); (clothes of a man)
    5,10 – детская одежда; (clothes of children)
    9, 11 – одежда девушки и женщины; ( clothes of girls and women)
    12-13 – одежда горожанки (clothes of a female citizen)

Source http://www.liveinternet.ru/journalshowcomments.php?jpostid=167555711&journalid=4122861&go=next&categ=1

Anonymous

This is a reconstruction of female costume of Andronovo culture people. I have no idea, how it was reconstructed exactly, but it seems pretty close to Slavic costumes:

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I found some pictures of reconstructed Slavic costumes from early medieval times taken from a Ukrainian book.  There are fine details and different colours used in reconstructions which maybe an invention of the author.

If you are interested I will post the pictures.

Yes, youu can post them I think. As for the colours, they were quite the same in a large part of Europe.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Yes true. I don't know if there is any text about burial among Carantanians and Carniolans but i guess they had special clothing altho nothing is for certain. The gray costume mentioned was indeed the costume of the land. I am not certain whether red shoes with red shoelaces and red belt with red hunting bag is supposed to be widespread among the people however or it was just used during ceremonial enthronement.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yes, youu can post them I think. As for the colours, they were quite the same in a large part of Europe.

These Slavic tribes lived  on the territories of present day Ukraine. The reconstructed costumes are from 6-9th century described in the book: «Український літопис вбрання» writte by З. Васiна.

Source: http://swordmaster.org/2011/11/03/odezhda-slavyan-6-9-vek.html

Everyday clothing of Polans (eastern) and Volhynians

Drevlyanin

Polyanka

Severian girls in festive clothes

Volhynianka & Drevlyanka

Sieverianka (urban dweller) in festive clothes

Anonymous
    Quote:
    … The Windisch or "Slavic" hat …

I know I'm a pain in the ass, but it's ussually refered to as "Slovenski klobuk" not "Slovanski klobuk", as it the coat of arms of "Slovenska marka" in Lower Carniola. It never was in any other conection with other Slavs in the area, like Croats. The march itself is part of the Slovene lands, part of Carniola. Anyway, sore for off topic and please, don't be insulted Povhec. You know I can be an ass. ;)

@Povhec: You were talking about Caranthanian costume. Wasn't it ussual for the future duke to change his clothes with the free farmer, sitting on the knežji kamen? What was the meaning of it? Do you know anything about?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    @Povhec: You were talking about Caranthanian costume. Wasn't it ussual for the future duke to change his clothes with the free farmer, sitting on the knežji kamen? What was the meaning of it? Do you know anything about?

Carinthia somehow managed to preserve some tribal elements and old rights mainly thanks to strong local land nobility which had dominating role in the area and ofc. strong presence of Kosezi class. For example back then most of Celovško polje was composed mainly of Kosezi. Much of the high middle ages those who were enthroned as dukes of Carinthia were actually powerless since most of them didn't have any major possessions in Carinthia. The man who did have power was land Valpet (deželni Valpet). He and big land owning nobles had control over most of possessions in Carinthia. Adding the previously mentioned Kosezi class which had its interests in keeping their privileges it is these who insisted on this tradition. Intention was clear. To show the future duke his place in the realm. This meant he will clearly have little role.

Quote:
    I know I'm a pain in the ass, but it's ussually refered to as "Slovenski klobuk" not "Slovanski klobuk", as it the coat of arms of "Slovenska marka" in Lower Carniola. It never was in any other conection with other Slavs in the area, like Croats. The march itself is part of the Slovene lands, part of Carniola. Anyway, sore for off topic and please, don't be insulted Povhec. You know I can be an ass. ;)

The issue is very complicated. I will answer it later. :)

Anonymous

Club of historical reconstructions in Mogilev, Belarus : http://horugva.ucoz.ru/photo/21

Eastern Slavs

Vyatchi

10-11 th century. Archeological materials were used to reconstruct headdress.

Archaelogical material from nothern Ukraine.

10 th century Krivich.  8) (Archeological material used found in Smolensk)

Eastern Slav

12 the century

15 th century

11 th century

Anonymous

[img width=638 height=700]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4950/slavskirmishers.jpg” />

On first picture the guy on the left side more or less fits the description of peasant clothing of Slavic population in Carinthia and the way Carinthian duke clothed during coronation ceremony. Shoelaces seem to have some reddish color on this picture but shoes are more brownish so just imagine shoes also red and add a red belt with red hunting bag + gray jacket to him and voila there you have clothing of Karantanians/Carinthians during early middle ages. Anyway Wends also seem to have red shoelaces or at least on this picture from Sachsenspiegel it appears so;

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

13 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • Glockamole
  • GOGA
  • Nexius
  • Jan Pat II
  • jorgos