Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Julia Rokka-Auguścińska
    Participant
    @julia_rokka-auguscinska

I believe in the differences between members of a same pan-ethnicity, of course, like Austrians can be different from Northern Germans, or like Danes can be different from Swedes, but I also believe they all share the same deep core (a nation-soul, a Volksgeist), which in the end binds them all together somehow. That explains why every Germanic folk adopts a similar demeanor (thriftness, order, cleanliness, laws), or why Latin nations of Europe share some values (fashion, cuisine, loquacity).

Slavs, as a whole, seem to be a very emotional, sensitive, warm people. However, by what information I could find regarding many Slavic nations, it seems that Czechs, and especially Slovenes, are quite “Germanized”, as they seem to deviate from a typical Slavic posture. It feels like, as I have seen one commenting one, “Czechs are Germanized Slavs, and Slovenes are Slavicized Germanics”.

Do you agree with this all? Also, what about Sorbs? They are a small Slavic group inhabiting Germany. Have they therefore adopted a rather Germanic approach? I couldn’t find much on them, so opinions are welcome.

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

Both us Slovenes and the Czechs were part of the Holy Roman Empire for a long time, so I suppose we adopted a more “Germanic” or “Central European” mentality. But I wouldn’t really call it being germanised. That sounds like we adopted the german language and identity or something.

“Czechs are Germanized Slavs, and Slovenes are Slavicized Germanics”

That seems like some nice sounding nonsense to be honest. What does it even mean? The Czechs were warm and emotional but now they’re clean and orderly while the opposite is true for the Slovenes?

Anonymous

I agree with both… I also agree that “germanized” might be a strong word.

And, as for Slovenes being “slavicized germanics” – I call it an utter bulls**t. 😆 😆 

Anonymous

Slovenes are most Slavic people among Slavs. They are most stubborn Slavs refusing to assimilate into Germanic culture. Only Belarusians come similar to Slovenes in terms of Slavicness.

Anonymous

@Kust 

That is not really the nuance I mean by using “Germanized” (adopting language and identity). Rather, it is the word I am using to mean a cultural influence, whose imprints are better exemplified by cleanliness, “Ordnung”, laws, reservedness, individualism, and the likes, even regardless of genetics. The epitome of these traits is most often represented by Germanics, but of course, not necessarily (vide Japan, Basque Country, Ireland). “Nordicized” would be as a good term (as most such cultures are in the North, like Germanics, Celts, some Baltic Finns).

As for the second, “Czechs are Germanized Slavs, and Slovenes are Slavicized Germanics”, I think the author rather meant to be a figure of speech to indicate the degree of “Germanicness/Nordicness” perceived in each country. As in, Slovenes behave even more so than Czechs.

Also, if anyone reading this could comment on Sorbs, regarding these subjects, opinions are welcome.

Anonymous

@Guestuser I get what you mean but, like cHr0mChIk said, “germanized” might be too strong a word, or just inappropriate because it implies adopting the German identity. It’s a negative word for Slovenes and my guess is the Czechs don’t appreciate it either. But I agree that our values are more similar to those of the Austrians and Germans.

I think the nation-soul isn’t really what binds a pan-ethnicity together. I don’t know much about the Sorbs but I’m sure that if you were to observe their habits you wouldn’t be able to distinguish them from regular Germans. Thus it’s their language and traditions that binds them to the other Slavs. Traits and values are too tied to politics, history and just the location in my opinion.

“Czechs are Germanized Slavs, and Slovenes are Slavicized Germanics” The phrase is more philosophical than it needs to be and can easily be misunderstood. The author could have just said what you said.

@Sviatogor Damn straight man. May Kresnik smite them dirty Švabs! :D

Anonymous

Czechs are the most sophisticated Slavs, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are the closest to Germans.

Anonymous

Their culture was infuenced by Germanics that is true,they can be on distance, reserbed, cold and calculated and as a whole their mentality is probably closer to Austrian and German then to pan Slavic , but I would not call them as Germanic.They avoided complete assimilation which in my opinion deserve at least some respect.

Sorbs deserve hudge respect,but unfortunatelly they might get asimilated in future,it is objective posibility.

But on topic,answer is probably Yes,they are the most Germanized Slavs in my opinion as well.

Anonymous

I know many people from Latin and Germanic countries and honestly I’ ve never heard that any of them feel any deep core feelings with Germanic or Latin origin.I think that only Slavs today in Europe have that feelings.

Anonymous

@Knez 

Fortunately indeed they were not completely assimilated into Teutonic culture, having conserved their languages, for example.

Also, when I refer to a cultural core, I am not necessarily refering to an identification therewith. Rather it is something you perceive, sense, in how people of a certain nation behave, what their values are, and so on. Indeed, many nations of Germanic or Latin heritage nowadays don’t identify at all with notions of Pan-nationalism or a common pride (and justifiably so) like Slavs do, but they nonetheless share many traits within their respective groups, even more so with Germanics. They can be, for example, quite distinct from each other at certain regards (German hierarchy against Swedish equality), but a “Germanic soul” prevails.

Anonymous

Czechs should be a rolemodel for all Slavs in term of organization, law, order etc. I admire their country. They are somthing like slavic Tiger. And i do not think that is “germanic” thing. 
    All this goes for our dear friends Slovenci. 

I think that reason why are they sometime called “germanized” is position. Not so closeness to Germanic people rather lack of constant uncertainty due to unstable neighbours or wars in border vincinity

Anonymous

It’s ironic that this is even a topic because modern Pan-Slavism was propagated by a Czech/Slovak(well, later in life anyway)  Adam Franz Kollár and Pavel Jozef Šafárik.), and the forum, Prague, Czech Republic during the Hapsburg rule. This whole discussion of whom is more slavic than another slav is infantile and is exactly what separates the slavs from forming a Pan-Slav empire. On another note, this whole “purity” theme is more like what the Germans just did in the 30’s and 40’s. We as Slavs were persecuted by these people because they believed us unclean and mixed. This is pretty accurate actually because there is no race that is exclusively “pure”. Let’s all band together rather than pose weird questions of “purity”. We are stronger as one than separated and we need to celebrate our shared culture rather than indirectly tear each other down.

Anonymous

@2TailedLion love it, man.

Anonymous

We must consider this in regional terms. There is also vice versa Slavic influence on German peoples in the region, So the exchange was mutual. There’s also Italian and other influence as far Slovenes goes but our core is def. Slavic. There are some specific regional cultures in Europe which don’t necessarily band on linguistic lines. This is especially true for ex-HRE territories which were politically heavily fragmented. Now Slovenes are in a position being on the frontier with Germanic, Italic, Ugric (?) an a fellow Slavic nation So you can imagine there’s lots of different influences and of the non-Slavic influences yes the German is strongest.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • Shvo
  • MaRk0V
  • Nidžo
  • KratΩs
  • Vuk