• This topic has 7 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm very confused about this question.I f someone knows,help me please. ??? ??? ???

Anonymous

I guess it is the same.

Anonymous

I also think it is the same god  :)

Anonymous

*dadjbog
    East Slavic –  ORu. Dažьbog" proper name 
    West Slavic –  OPl. Dadzibog proper name 
    Compound of the imperative *dadjь (' *dàti) and ' *bog". 

Anonymous

Yes, it is the same god.  Here is a thought.  Bog is the word for god.  In early cultures bogs (the swampy/marshy kind) were sacred places where sacrificial items were thrown and even some burials performed. Did we get the modern word bog from the old word for god and if so, which group started it?  Just a thought that has been bugging me  ???

Anonymous

youre mixing up different languages

bog in english = something like swamp
    bog/boh in slavic languages = god

no relation except that they sound similar.

Anonymous

What are different Slavic names or terms for swamp (or in English bog) ???

Anonymous

for example… slovak mokrina, močiar, czech močál, mokřina…
    theyre slavic words and swamp is an english word. of course theyre different, nothing surprising about that.

Anonymous

AFAIK Polish bagno (marsh) is of Germanic origin (an old one, probably dating from the Slavic expansion).

Of course we have also other names, for example mokradło (wetland).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    AFAIK Polish bagno (marsh) is of Germanic origin (an old one, probably dating from the Slavic expansion).

Of course we have also other names, for example mokradło (wetland).

That's what I thought.  I knew bog was an imported word to the English language, but all I was getting was the Scottish word bogach (soft ground). It is possible that it is a coincidence that the words are so similar.  But I think it was a term once used as sacred or connected with god or holy since some peoples used bogs as places of offerings and sacrifices.  The origin may be so old as to have been lost in the mists of time?

Anonymous

so slavic word for a deity (bog, boh) is supposed to have roots in modern english synonym for a swamp (bog) because some people long ago used to throw things and sacrifice people in mud…
    i lost my words  :-X
    you drink too much or what  😮

Anonymous

Than we can say that the English word for God comes from the Serbian "Гад" meaning "the scoundrel". In Russian the same word means "skunk".

Anonymous
    Quote:
    so slavic word for a deity (bog, boh) is supposed to have roots in modern english synonym for a swamp (bog) because some people long ago used to throw things and sacrifice people in mud…
    i lost my words  :-X
    you drink too much or what  😮

Reverse what you think I said.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Nexius
  • Fia
  • Tujev