• This topic has 18 voices and 107 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Anonymous

No?
    However most people are religious, so ofcourse there would be more dummies, but likely more intelligent people too.
    There seems to be a loaded question, with implications that to believe in the spiritual is stupid?
    Just as there are people who blindly accept religious views, there are atheists/agnostics who do the same.

Anonymous

Atheists are an interesting bunch.
    They deny the existence of the unknowable.

Anonymous

Yes, it is possible that atheists are smarter. Not every person has doubts and questions his faith – some blindly follow it without question. As long as atheists are mostly former theists (thus, almost exclusively the people that doubted), there may be a correlation. There's also a correlation between atheism and degree of education.

And no, I am not an atheist.

Quote:
    Atheists are an interesting bunch.
    They deny the existence of the unknowable.

No, they deny the existence of the unproven. Quite rational way, I think.

Anonymous

Anonymous

those articles prove contrary  ;D

Quote:
    As long as atheists are mostly former theists

mostly teenagers, or adults in latent "rebellion"
    its so cool and fashionable  ;D

Anonymous

There are too many ''blind'' religious people who just follow some basic rules or whatever and think that's faith , and there are too many ignorant atheist who simply reject the existence of god because something like that ''is impossible" , yet they ''believe'' in scientific theories about existence and know nothing about those at the same time.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    (…) atheist who simply reject the existence of god because something like that ''is impossible"(…)

Well, it's something rational to reject something one thinks to be impossible.

(…) yet they ''believe'' in scientific theories about existence and know nothing about those at the same time.

That's maybe the science now is *really* complex and it's really hard to just understand some of its principles – especially when it comes to quantum physics. And in science it's no belief: proven – OK, disproved – not OK, neither proven or disproved – well, more experiments should be made.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, it's something rational to reject something one thinks to be impossible.
    That's maybe the science now is *really* complex and it's really hard to just understand some of its principles – especially when it comes to quantum physics. And in science it's no belief: proven – OK, disproved – not OK, neither proven or disproved – well, more experiments should be made.

I don't expect from ordinary man just to simply fully understand all those stuff, I know I don't, but everyone can read those explanations of some theories from encyclopedias or school books and learn something xD

As for believing or not in science theories I was referring mostly to 'big bang theory' .

Of course someone would reject what he considers to be impossible,
    but there are those who question their beliefs and knowledge and those who blindly reject or follow.
    I just can't understand those ''atheist'' who don't know anything about religion yet they are convinced that it;s just a fairy tale ,
    and also I can not understand people who consider themselves religious but have no clue about their faith and/or don't practice what they preach.

Anonymous

Considering the fact that Slovenia has many atheists i must say i didn't notice atheist being smarter. They are the same fools as the rest of us. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    No, they deny the existence of the unproven. Quite rational way, I think.

There are people who deny the existence of the unproven and they are called idiots.
    Skepticism is different from denial.
    On the other hand the contention whether something we cannot perceive exists or not is a fundamental question in philosophy. An atheist belongs to the group that says a tree falling in the forest when there's no one around to observe it doesn't make any noise.

There's also difference between stuff we cannot perceive/comprehend currently and stuff we won't ever be able to comprehend. If you deny the existence of the second type, then you ascribe to the fundamental philosophical notion that the universe is ultimately knowable. :)

Anonymous

Slavenski_Komunist, if you wish we could compare level of education of believers and atheists on this forum.  8)

Anonymous

I don't think either side is more intelligent than the other.  There are fools who praise God and fools who deny him.  You can't criticise people for honestly having either faith or skepticism.  You can criticise them for trying to impose their views on everyone else. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't think either side is more intelligent than the other.  There are fools who praise God and fools who deny him.  You can't criticise people for honestly having either faith or skepticism.  You can criticise them for trying to impose their views on everyone else.

Amen =))

Anonymous

Its not a matter of education or lack of. One must specify what type of education. Of course people of scientific background will always be sceptical of all claims because it is their learned nature.

It is an undeniable fact that religion is slowly withering away. For instance, the USA is a nation origionally founded by puritan Christians who wished to uphold god over the government. Now those kind of people are a minority, some 200+ years later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • Glockamole
  • кошка
  • Nexius