• This topic has 11 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm curious how many people suffer from back problems in people with Slavic ancestry. I will share my story first:

I was 19 and fairly decent shape when I herniated 2 discs in my lower back– between Lumbar 4 and 5, and Lumbar 5 and Sacral 1. I recently had AccuraScope surgery (laser discectomy). I had moderate to severe pain for 4 years, but was able to alleviate it by lifting weights (carefully…). About 3 months ago, one of my herniation "extruded" and surgery became necessary.

My father also herniated a disc at 34. My grandfather at 22.

Has anyone else here had back problems akin to this? And how do you deal with it?

Anonymous

I have a double curved spine, so… It doesn't hurt me – yet. :( But we have spine problems in the family.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I'm curious how many people suffer from back problems in people with Slavic ancestry. I will share my story first:

I was 19 and fairly decent shape when I herniated 2 discs in my lower back– between Lumbar 4 and 5, and Lumbar 5 and Sacral 1. I recently had AccuraScope surgery (laser discectomy). I had moderate to severe pain for 4 years, but was able to alleviate it by lifting weights (carefully…). About 3 months ago, one of my herniation "extruded" and surgery became necessary.

My father also herniated a disc at 34. My grandfather at 22.

Has anyone else here had back problems akin to this? And how do you deal with it?

I guess you were doing deadlifts and squats which f'cked up your back, right?

Anonymous
    Quote:

No, sir. I've never done anything of the sort. I had been jogging each afternoon, followed by push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. I was in the middle of finishing my work out with some "easy" sit-ups; I went down, and when I "sat up" I felt a *POP* *POP*! I've known that my back is genetically messed up, so I haven't done stupid sh*t like that since my coaches made me in 7th-8th grade.

Anonymous

One of my distant relatives has back problems but not me thankfully. :D

Anonymous

I have back problems but it's from an injury I endured when I was 18.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    No, sir. I've never done anything of the sort. I had been jogging each afternoon, followed by push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. I was in the middle of finishing my work out with some "easy" sit-ups; I went down, and when I "sat up" I felt a *POP* *POP*! I've known that my back is genetically messed up, so I haven't done stupid sh*t like that since my coaches made me in 7th-8th grade.

Do you have other joint or muscle issues? You have scoliosis?

Anonymous

get a foam roller. I have tight hips. I use it for my back and legs.

Foam Roller for a Healthy Back

Do you feel stiff in the morning? Is your back tight during work or play? Do your legs feel like tree stumps when pedaling up a long climb? Maybe you have an old, nagging injury that keeps bothering you? Well, there is one piece of equipment all cyclists should use on a daily basis to save you from these problems, and even prevent future injuries! It is inexpensive, it is simple to use, and easy to store.

The foam roller is your new best friend. You may hear people calling it names, such as the “pain stick” or the “hurt locker” but this tool will relax your muscle adhesions, knots, and trigger points if used correctly and consistently.

When used on your legs (quads, IT bands, calves, glutes, etc) it acts as a self-myofascial release—similar to a deep tissue massage—which loosens up tight fascia that binds our muscles together.  Tight leg and hip-flexor muscles are major causes of back pain, so breaking up adhesions will result in more flexibility and less pain.

To use the roller, simply start at the top of a muscle and slowly roll down until you find a tender spot. Stay on that spot for about 30 seconds, keep breathing, and the tenderness should decrease. Move down to the next spot, but avoid rolling back and forth, as it may aggravate the adhesions even farther. If the tender spot did not decrease significantly, you may return to it for another 30 seconds, but do not attack that same spot more than twice in one session!

There are many types of foam rollers and most range from $15-$45 in stores or online. Look for one that has a high-density Styrofoam rather than the real squishy ones which tend to wear down quicker, therefore are not as effective.

http://girlbikelove.com/2011/02/how-to-keep-a-healthy-back-part-2/

Anonymous

I have  scoliosis actually but I don't have any back pain.  I hope that will not bring some severe problems in the future though.

Anonymous
    Quote:

With proper form neither mess your back up. Deadlifts can be very beneficial to strengthen your lower back.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    With proper form neither mess your back up. Deadlifts can be very beneficial to strengthen your lower back.

That's actually a very factual statement. Although, I started having back problem before I ever began lifting. So, naturally, I never tried to deadlift or squat or "cling."

I recently found out that I kind of have the opposite of scoliosis. My back doesn't curve enough, so the pressure that is exerted on my discs isn't in the natural spot. I've begun a therapy, with the aid of a professional, that well hopefully correct the issue….(2 surgeries later)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's actually a very factual statement. Although, I started having back problem before I ever began lifting. So, naturally, I never tried to deadlift or squat or "cling."

I recently found out that I kind of have the opposite of scoliosis. My back doesn't curve enough, so the pressure that is exerted on my discs isn't in the natural spot. I've begun a therapy, with the aid of a professional, that well hopefully correct the issue….(2 surgeries later)

Do you perform ten excercises to strenghten your lower back?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Do you perform ten excercises to strenghten your lower back?

I've begun a series of exercises targeting the lower back, yes. I do them about 8-10 times throughout the day.

Anonymous

Dead lifts are one of the best all over work outs .  Did you try the sumo stance?  Often helps you from straining your back.  Dead lifting looks so easy, but the form is the key

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • 'las
  • Fia
  • Drizzt
  • Piachu
  • Woodju