• This topic has 15 voices and 63 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Quote:
    They do not.  I've met a lot of 'Russians' (including Rossiyane) in Europe and around the world and Baltid or East Nordid is not what I would describe them as.

Internet claims aside, most Russians (that were not Asiatic) I met were either East Baltid, Gorid, Pontid, North Pontid and East Nordid.  I saw a ton of blonde Russians in the Baltic and I assume this would be true in St. Petersburg (and the old Novgorod area in general) but most 'Russians' aren't as blonde as Scandinavians or Finns, albeit the rate of blondism among ethnic Russians may be higher than in Western Europeans (British women and dye jobs aside, most British people minus skin are pretty dark I think).

In my particular city, most Russians (Ruski and Rossiyane included) are mainly Brunettes.

On average, I thought Ukrainians in West Ukraine were lighter and more Europid than the Russians I've seen in my life but mind you there's a lot of racially mixed Russians in Russia and abroad.

I agree with this. Nordism among Russians is overstated.

Anonymous

I agree with the statement that the total nordism among Russians is an exaggeration, probably the majority of Russians have more baltid features. I can refer to the typical Russians in rural area of my region, they are likely baltids with light eyes and already mentioned "русые" hairs.  Brunettes and different kinds of pontids are usually assimilated native minorities, cossacks or anyone from the territory of modern Ukraine, very dark hair isn't a native Russian feature.

Also, personally I very doubt in total blondism among population of Western Ukraine, contrary to some opinions the appearance of Ukrainians is very weakly connected with their political views. Most of known people from Galician region have very weird appearance for me,  Nordic and other "aryan" people there are most likely assimilated Poles who have forgotten their roots.

Anonymous

IMO this is a good example of русые hair (look at the roots of hair) and gray eyes. Pусые hair doesn't look like light brown hair to me, but rather like dark blond. There is a difference between them.

Anonymous

On another forum,I saw people claiming that ethnic Russians have only 5% dark eyes.One girl claims that they don't look different from Estonians,and that so called "Arctic Nordid" type is present there(she classified herself as Arctic Nordid),and that majority of brunette people are churka/non-Russians.
    Is that true,most Russians I saw were light but definitely not as Scandinavians?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    On another forum,I saw people claiming that ethnic Russians have only 5% dark eyes.One girl claims that they don't look different from Estonians,and that so called "Arctic Nordid" type is present there(she classified herself as Arctic Nordid),and that majority of brunette people are churka/non-Russians.
    Is that true,most Russians I saw were light but definitely not as Scandinavians?

some nut-case most probably. every nation have them. and lol @ "Arctic Nordic"

Anonymous

Thank you all for the discussion. What do we say about the Finnic mixture in Russians? Also what can we say is the most common phenotype among Russians?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    IMO this is a good example of русые hair (look at the roots of hair) and gray eyes. Pусые hair doesn't look like light brown hair to me, but rather like dark blond. There is a difference between them.

I would like to add that i agree with Svatoslava. this picture is a good example of our apperiance. We all have русые волосы including me, I also have blue eyes. And Svatoslava you are right- this colour is not dark but light and  closed to blond(like me). My grandmother always say that we called "русские" because we have "русые" hair. And even In ancient time we were called русы. So i can say that this type is common in Russia.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I would like to add that i agree with Svatoslava. this picture is a good example of our apperiance. We all have русые волосы including me, I also have blue eyes. And Svatoslava you are right- this colour is not dark but light and  closed to blond(like me). My grandmother always say that we called "русские" because we have "русые" hair. And even In ancient time we were called русы. So i can say that this type is common in Russia.

That could be a coincidence.

Русский is a derivative of the word Русь. Русые is derivative of rudsъ (цвет руды). From Vasmer's dictionary of etymology

GENERAL: рус, руса́, ру́со, укр. ру́сий, др.-русск. русъ, сербск.-цслав. русъ ξανθός, болг. рус "светловолосый", сербохорв. ру̏с, ру̏са, словен. rȗs м., rúsа ж. "красный, желтый", чеш. rusý "светловолосый, телесного цвета", rysý "рыжеватый", слвц. rusý — то же, rysavý "пестрый, пятнистый", польск. rusy.
    ORIGIN: Из *rudsъ, связанного с руда́, ру́дый, рдеть, ры́жий. Ср. лит. raũsvas "красноватый", rùsvas "темно-коричневый", rusė́ti "тлеть", ruslės "жаровня", лтш. rusls "коричневый", rûsа "ржавчина", лат. russus "красный, рыжий", далее — греч. ἐρυθρός "красный", лат. ruber и т. д.; см. Траутман, ВSW 239; М.–Э. 3, 563 и сл., 572; Педерсен, IF 5, 41; Kelt. Gr. I, 54; Перссон, Beitr. 206; ВВ 19, 273 и сл.; Вальде–Гофм. 2, 455. Заимствование слав. слов из лат. russus недоказуемо, вопреки Романскому (JIRSpr. 15, 127), Г. Майеру (Ngr. Stud. 3, 57); см. Фасмер, Гр.-сл. эт. 169; RS 3, 280. Греч. ῥούσιος "темно-красный, бурый" заимств. из лат. russeus, russus; см. Прельвиц 400; Вальде–Гофм., там же.
    PAGES: 3,521-522
    http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?root=%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fshare%2Fstarling%2Fmorpho&morpho=0&basename=%5Cusr%5Clocal%5Cshare%5Cstarling%5Cmorpho%5Cvasmer%5Cvasmer&first=1&off=&text_word=русый&method_word=substring&ic_word=on&text_general=&method_general=substring&ic_general=on&text_origin=&method_origin=substring&ic_origin=on&text_trubachev=&method_trubachev=substring&ic_trubachev=on&text_editorial=&method_editorial=substring&ic_editorial=on&text_pages=&method_pages=substring&ic_pages=on&text_any=&method_any=substring&sort=word&ic_any=on

To me this colour is a light brown.  However, some would classify this colour as dark-blond. It doesn’t matter how one defines the colour, we know how people with русые волосы look like.  :) Руссые волосы and 'fair complexion' as some English speakers would say.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's а coincidence. IMHO

Русский is a derivative of the word Русь. Русые is derivative of rudsъ (цвет руды). From Vasmer's dictionary of etymology

руджав > руђав is an archaic form in our language meaning reddish, commonly depicting the colour of rust. However I haven't heard it being used anymore.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    руджав > руђав is an archaic form in our language meaning reddish, commonly depicting the colour of rust. However I haven't heard it being used anymore.

It makes sense why the colour is called русый. It is a light and fair colour, but it's not what many Russians would classify as blond. Traditionally people in Russia called blonds 'белокурые' which is derived from the word white.

Anonymous

More pictures of Russian people .  :)

Russian people

Anonymous

That could be a coincidence.

I don't know may be this is a coincidence, you remember this is only my grandmother and she may thinks what she thinks :)
    yes blond hair is something lighter than русый, but i don't think that русый- is a dark colour. I am one of them who classify it as a dark blond))

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't know may be this is a coincidence, you remember this is only my grandmother and she may thinks what she thinks :)
    yes blond hair is something lighter than русый, but i don't think that русый- is a dark colour. I am one of them who classify it as a dark blond))

I will never argue with any grandmother.  :) They believe whatever they believe in. I agree with you that русый is not a dark colour. I have русые волосы myself and fair skin. I get sunburns easily  ;D In some countries русые волосы are classified as blond. Maybe because those countries don't have people with white hair. In Russia blond usually means white imho or traditionally blonds were known as белокурые.  :)

Anonymous

Kudesnik, объясни мне пожалуйста на русском откуда произошло слово русский-русый, почему мы называемся именно так :) только не говори, что от слова "красный", мне почему-то в это с трудом вериться, а то я больше склоняюсь к бабушкиной версии  ;D
    and thank you for these videos about Russian people, I like them :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It makes sense why the colour is called русые. It is a light and fair colour, but it's not what many Russians would classify as blond. Traditionally people in Russia called blonds 'белокурые' which is derived from the word white.

I have to correct myself, don't know what I was thinking, not руђаво, but риђаво means reddish, or redhead, ридж > риђ meaning rufous coloured (synonym is рујан).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • Drizzt
  • Shnickstara89
  • Nefario
  • LCaine
  • ▽eurus▽