• This topic has 8 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I see there is river Bóbr running thru Poland & Czechia. Dose it have any meaning in respetive languages? This word means beaver in Slovene. ;D

Anonymous

Bóbr is beaver in Polish, in Czech it's bobr, and just btw in Slovak it's bobor. There probably lived lots of beavers back then.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There probably lived lots of beavers back then.

My tought also. Judging from pictures it is indeed perfect for them; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Janowice_Wielkie%2C_Bobr_1.jpg

Anonymous

Anonymous

Uggh^^

Btw, In Russian also bobr or bob'or (бобёр) for beaver. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:

That's not exactly what I meant ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My tought also. Judging from pictures it is indeed perfect for them; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Janowice_Wielkie%2C_Bobr_1.jpg

Not really a veletok, this Bober.  ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Not really a veletok, this Bober.  ;D

Well yeah! :D After all i always imagined bobri to populate smaller creeks and streams but then again i am not biologist. :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's not exactly what I meant ;D

Jsem nechtěl googlit jiné partie a Anglicky jsem to neuměl říct :D

Anonymous

Be aware about placenames in Lower Silesia and other lands given to Poland after WWII, many of them (if not the majority of them) are given a priori names, completely unrooted in history nor language. There're few original Slavic names here (but the Bóbr river is called Bober in German, so it seems it's an original name) Good that the naming wasn't done in the 19th century, at least we don't have monsters like Bratislava.

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:

Yes, but that is Belarus …  :-X

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Be aware about placenames in Lower Silesia and other lands given to Poland after WWII, many of them (if not the majority of them) are given a priori names, completely unrooted in history nor language. There're few original Slavic names here (but the Bóbr river is called Bober in German, so it seems it's an original name) Good that the naming wasn't done in the 19th century, at least we don't have monsters like Bratislava.

or Stalinogród for Katowice, Upper Silesia

Anonymous

This is a completely different league :) Bratislava is only a failed reconstruction, while Stalinogród was an intentional renaming. Good that the name was reverted back.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    This is a completely different league :) Bratislava is only a failed reconstruction

True, they tried to reconstruct original name from "Brezalauspurc", "Braslavespurch" or "Pressalauspurch" from historical German annals (9-10th ct).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.