• This topic has 8 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Bosniaks and Poles – Bosnjaci i Poljaci

Encompassing mountainous region between Pannonia, Neretva, Drina and Vrbas, Bosnia was pretty much i…

Read the full story here

Anonymous

nex time put our flag with lilians but with white background… i’m Bosniaks and never saw flag like this..

Anonymous

That’s a Polish flag in the background to represent the article

Anonymous

Interesting read. I’m curious to know how many Bosniaks feel they share a common history with Poles? If some of the Bosniaks accept their ancient kinship with medieval Croats then it would make sense considering Croats settled from White Croatia which was in modern day Poland and some Poles and Ukrainians today can trace their lineage back to the same White Croats which creates a distant connection between Croats, some Bosniaks, and Poles. 

Anonymous

@bosnianninja this flag is used by Praskozorje movement I think. It supposes to represent Slavdom of Bosniaks, who are a Slavic people after all. There is a reason Bosnian flag is Varta logo and not the one with the lilies  ;) 

Anonymous

I can’t see any connections between muslims from Bosnia and Poland. Actually, there might be one. Yugoslav anthem was Hey Slavs which was just cleverly done a copy of the Polish Anthem, so I guess, that’s the connection.Thinking about it now, what did muslims think about that anthem. Did they see themselves as Slavs?

Anonymous

@anna25 the song “hey slavs” came from the Slovak version of the song “hey Slováci” which was modified to “hey slavs” and made a pan Slavic anthem. Though the original tune may have come from Poland, the Jugoslavia anthem wasn’t really connected to Poland but to Slovakia.

Anonymous

srdceleva You are absolutely right. I remember reading about it in “London for immigrant suckers”. Here is an extract:
    “…Samo Tomasik, a Slovakian romantic poet, decided to book a weekend break in Prague sometime during 1834. As he was peacefully walking on the streets of Prague, minding his own business, he suddenly felt alienated and he needed an emergency landing at a bar table. Tomasik sat down and decided that something had to be changed. What had caused his upset was the fact that the German language was spoken more than Czech in Prague. Under a strong feeling of patriotism and rational fear of complete Germanization; to the music of the old Polish song “Jeszcze Polska Nie Zginela” he wrote the lyrics of “Hey Slovaci”. During the First World War, “Hey Slovaci” was sung by all Slavs recruited in Austria’s Army … In the Second World War, it became the temporary national anthem of Yugoslavia, under the name “Hej Sloveni”. Because of its popularity among the masses, the anthem was upgraded from a temporarily status to a permanent one”

Anonymous

An interesting read:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_in_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

While its not specifically related to Bosniaks only it discusses Poles in Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

What I find interesting is that there were thousands of Poles in Bosnia and Herzegovina before World War II but today only remain a couple hundred (between 200-500 estimated). In World War II the majority of the Poles served under the communists because they feared the German authorities in the NDH and NDH authorities were relocating them to Croatia(Slavonia) due to religious policies. Gradually the Poles grew disenchanted with the communists in Bosnia and Herzegovina because the communist authorities did not guarantee them special minority rights and considered non-South Slav populations ‘insignificant’ in the territory they controlled even though the majority of Poles fought for the communists in BiH. Towards the end of WWII about half the Poles in BiH left for Poland to repopulate former territory held by Germans. The rest of the Poles were terrorized out of their homes by mostly Serbian Chetniks. The Yugoslav communists gave the Poles some mock protection but it was virtually ineffective. Later the communists in Yugoslavia refused to pay the Bosnian Poles (most of which were communist partisans) any kind of compensation for their homes (now mostly occupied by Serbs) and the communist government even demanded that the Poles pay the Yugoslav state for the cattle they took with them (even though Poles introduced modern methods to Bosnia in terms of raising and harvesting cattle). The Poles tried to appeal to Tito but it fell on deaf ears and their numbers plummeted. 

Anonymous

There was a big Polish minority around Prnjavor in Bosnia. Locals called them Galcijani (because of Galicia). They “returned” to Poland (Bołeslawiec area) after WWII, in the fifties I think. There’s a book about that called “Galcijani i Srbi”, since they were called Serbs by the locals when they settled in Poland, because they came there from Serbian majority area. BTW Prnjavor area was sometimes called Small Europe, because there were some 27 different ethnic groups living there, including Poles (Galcijans), Czechs and Ukrainians.

Anonymous

@Dušan, the authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina at the time had little desire to keep the Poles around plus Poland was embarked on a policy of repatriation. You combine that with a bit of terrorism (like what happened to Polish civilians in Bosnia towards the end of WW2) and the numbers evaporate quickly. I know all about Prnjavor. My mother grew up there in her youth and it is(was) very multi-ethnic seeing as how she had Czech and Rusyn grandparents in Prnjavor :).

Anonymous

Prnjavor is cool like that. It’s pretty awesome my only living grandparent today (maternal grandmother) is quadrilingual ( Croatian, English, Czech, and Ukrainian) :)

Anonymous

@Xekoslav Italians and Czechs are still there as far as I know. I know Poles went to Poland and I’m not sure about Ukrainians. Many Ukrainians came to Vojvodina, I have a Ukrainian neighbour here whose family comes from that area.

Anonymous

More Polish people served in Wehrmacht than the Red Army, if going by statistics

Anonymous

@Dušan, I’m not sure. I haven’t personally visited Prnjavor so you would know better than me. My grandmother upon going back home to visit says its not as diverse but there’s still a variety of cultures there. There were Ukrainains because my grandmother grew up as part of the Ukrainian Catholic church there which was quite influential or so she tells me. The Ukrainian population, like the Polish, decreased after WWII but not as bad I think. 

@”Bernhard “, perhaps but the source I was reading says the majority of the Poles in Bosnia and Herzegovina joined the communist partisans even if not enthusiastically. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.