• This topic has 19 voices and 161 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This has always been complex topic for me. Naturally, each person from each of this countries will say they speak language of region they live in. On other hand, they can understand each other perfectly and aside from alphabet, to untrained eye, languages look identical to each other.

I ask, are they indeed separate languages like Czech, Slovak and Polish are, or are they dialects of one and same language (like English in UK, North America, Australasia and South Africa)?

Also, no nationalism please in your replies, I would just like polite discussion.

Anonymous

It's a matter of Dialects, not really separate languages, but of course everybody will claim their own language as unlike on the Birtish islands where Scottish and Irish speak English today, on balkan it's a thing of national identity and heritage…

In general, the old-church Slavonic was spoken by Croats and Serbs back then, but as Croatia was under Roman Catholic church while Serbia under Byzantium and Orthodox church (as the Christianity rift happened on those two) some differences have been made but it really isn't even noticeable, if you would learn one you'd understand 99,99% of the other. As well as Croats have Slovenian dialects as well incorporated into Croatian language, probably leftovers of Great Moravia.

The original carriers of this language are certainly Croats and Serbs. Bosnians speak it as Bosnian are after all descendants of Croats and Serbs, while Macedonians were Slavs that came together with Croats and Serbs to these lands and were probably part of our communities but as they mixed with Macedonians they kept the language but made a separate national identity. Montenegrins and Dalmatians are natives in these lands, and Dalmatians because Croaticized accepting the Croat language and Slavic identity, while Montenegrins did the same only with Serbia. Thought a while back Dalmatians and Montenegrins were a same kin, even today many of them feel some mutual bond, but Slavic Serbs and Croats made a division onto them i guess.

Roughly said, i think that's it…

Anonymous

Thanks, mate. Good clear reply. ;)

Anonymous

Actually, it is not a very correct explanation. First of all, Bosnian language did not come from
    Serbian or Croatian. It was mentioned during the medieval bosnian state together with Serbian
    and Croatian by non-bosnians for that matter . Now, we come to the strongest argument: the language in serbia, bosnia and croatia  is not the same language as before the creation of national identities in 19. century. Croats spoke differently and serbs also but then Vuk Karadžić made reforms and took language from bosnia to be serbian literary language. It is the same very language that croats took to be their literary language. In 1850 a conference was held and they called the language serbo-croatian with present ideas of pan-slavism and on two strongest national ideas in the region.

It is not really hard to find this out. Now, let me just say this. Negation of bosnia is reasonable for me, history is still the mainstream one from 1900 and so on. It is because defense of bosnian ethnic sovereignty fell only on muslims and we all know that they have no arguments. but, bosnian christians ( the new born ones with some traditional) will follow words of old bosnians ( the christian ones) who knew exactly where they belong  and who they are. I have a lot of evidence in my sleeves, I am not just talking nonsense.

thanks for listening
    PS: its not nationalism, I am not nationalist.
    Its just my patriotic duty do defend my land. ;)

Anonymous

Well, that is purpose of this board, to discuss differences of opinion. Thanks also very much for yours.

Anonymous

BTW Krstjanin, you claim to be of Bosnian ethnicity, yet Christian.
    Are there many Bosniak Christians? I am not talking about Croats and Serbs obviously.
    Or do you consider Croats and Serbs to be Catholic and Orthodox Bosnians?
    What is situation of islam in Bosnia? Rising or (hopefully) falling?

Bosnia is very complex and fascinating. I would like to learn more.

Anonymous

It’s neither of those. As Krstjanin said:
    His only mistake is that the dialect Karadžić took wasn’t Bosnian, but East Herzegovinian.
    So as you can see, these aren’t different languages, and they aren’t even different dialects. They are all based on the same dialect, and the greatest differences are things like: in Serbian transcription is prefered over just leaving the original, while in Croatian transcription isn’t allowed; names of chemical elements in Serbian are kiseonik, vodonik etc. and in Croatian they are Kisik, vodik… Those are really meaningless differences. And I’m not speaking about other versions of the language because they are even more similar than Serbian and Croatian. And that is also the reason for naming that language Serbo-Croatian. That’s the way it’s done in science. Look, for example at the name Indo-European. The Iranian languages and other are left out of the name, but that’s only because they are somewhere between the European and the Indian ones. Those two-part names of languages and language groups that include only the names of the two most far away dialects or languages is widely used in modern linguistics.

Anonymous

A notable difference between the standardized versions of Croatian and Slovenian on one side and not only Serbian, but all other South Slavic languages on other; is the prominent intention of the first ones to use native Slavic words for terms with foreign origin.

For example, all of the South Slavic languages use rather transcripted versions of the foreign words, while Croatians and Slovenes use a translated versions. Here are some examples:

English  –  Slovenian  –  Croatian  –  Serbian  –  Macedonian  –  Bulgarian

computer  –  računalnik  –  računalo  –  компјутер  –  компјутер  –  компютър

officer  –  častnik  –  časnik  –  официр  –  офицер  –  офицер

lawyer  –  odvetnik  –  odvjetnik  –  адвокат  –  адвокат  –  адвокат

I believe this is a practice we all have to accept. So this difference should not exists! 

Anonymous

In Serbian two words are used: kompjuter and računar. For example, my school is called Računarska gimnazija Smart, not Kompjuterska gimnazija Smart.
    Besides, most Croatians don't really speak that way. Officialy a lot of words of foreign origin are replaced by words of Slavic origin, but since those are all newly coined words, people don't know them and don't use them. Instead they use the words of foreign origin.

Anonymous

We also have another word for a computer – smetač. But no one really bothers to use this word instead of kompjuter. The cases like your school name are rather exceptions. Now, when it comes to everyday non-formal talking, this is not such a bug deal, after all there is a thin border between a dialect and a јargon. But when we are talking officially, using standardized language, we should try to maintain our native language, and that’s what Croats and Slovenes actually do.

I believe it’s a very good idea and we should also practice it. But our “academics” are unfortunately way too busy focusing on their luxurious chairs and do nothing to encourage this custom.

Anonymous

BTW Krstjanin, you claim to be of Bosnian ethnicity, yet Christian.
    Are there many Bosniak Christians?

not too many.

Or do you consider Croats and Serbs to be Catholic and Orthodox Bosnians?

Catholics and Orthodox Christians are what they say they are individually. 

What is situation of islam in Bosnia? Rising or (hopefully) falling?

Falling and rising in the same time. Because new radical interpretation of islam which arrived during
    the last war pushed some people deeper into "islamic living" while pushed some out of islam.
    Alternative cultures also found their followers among Bosnian youth. We even got some sotonists  :-

Bosnia is very complex and fascinating. I would like to learn more.

Just ask ;)

Anonymous

Satanists  😮 really ? And what are other alternative cultures.

Anonymous

The Jedi Knights

(Jedi movement followers will be even counted in Czech census this year, lol)

Anonymous

Satanists  Shocked really ? And what are other alternative cultures.

I was not counting satanism as alternative or subculture. It was a some kind of joke but these guys really do exist here.  :D
    When I said alternative cultures I was thinking of music courses primarily. Metal,Hard-rock and punk scenes are growing just like that trash they call hip-hop.

The Jedi Knights Cheesy

They have a strong force in them  :D

Anonymous

Oh hehe I'm glad that Metal and Hard-rock scenes are finally growing  :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

17 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kex
  • Australian Santa
  • AcousticHLeon
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Tujev
  • Petkø♡