• This topic has 3 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    [size=14pt]Bosnian Stanak (Medieval Bosnian Parliament)[/size]

[hr]

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][img height=285]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Bosnia_kingdom_in_the_XIV_c.jpg/659px-Bosnia_kingdom_in_the_XIV_c.jpg” />[/td]
    [td]  [/td]
    [td][size=10pt]In the Middle Ages, Bosnia was first mentioned as a small country situated primarily in the Upper basin of the river Bosnia. Initially, it existed as an area within stronger neighboring countries, becoming a semi-autonomous or sovereign country with its own governors (12th – 14th century) and finally, as of 1377, an independent kingdom with a considerably expanded territory. Apart from its rulers, the national council, better known as Stanak, was a very important institution in the Bosnian medieval state. In source materials it is also referred to as zbor (gathering), sva Bosna (all Bosnia), sav rusag bosanski (not quite translatable), sometimes only as Bosna, as well as consilium, universale colloquium, collatio, adunacio, etc. The term stanak is mentioned for the first time in the charter of the governor Tvrtko I Kotromanić in 1354. The Stanak was convened on an as-needed basis, usually by the ruler who chaired the sessions. At times when major crises faced the country, such as in the succession of rulers, the Stanak was convened by the landed high nobility. The Stanak was most often held at the location of the ruler’s palace: in Mile, Milodraž, Bobovac, Sutjeska or Jajce. Those entitled to attend the Stanak were noble estate – owners and peers of the realm, dobri Bošnjani (good Bosnians), dobri ljudi (good people) and gospoda rusaška (genlemen of Rusag) – in Latin and Italian, all these terms had the same meaning – barons of Bosnia.[/size][/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

[table]
    [tr]
    [td][size=10pt]The Bosnian council at that time was an assembly of nobility which, as a state institution and together with the ruler, decided on important state affairs. Its functions and competence encompassed the most important state matters, such as accession to the Bosnian throne, the coronation of Bosnian rulers, foreign policy, the sale and ceding of Bosnian state territory to neighboring countries, entering into and signing agreements with neighboring countries, and rendering decisions on war and peace, among others. Rulers would then issue charters based on the decisions of the council. The influence of the Stanak on the state affairs depended on the relative power held by the ruler and the nobility, respectively, which varied in medieval Bosnia.[/size][/td]
    [td]  [/td]
    [td][img height=195]https://www.parlament.ba/istorija/istorija-srednjevjekovna-1.jpg” />[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Anonymous
    Quote:
    [img height=195]https://www.parlament.ba/istorija/istorija-srednjevjekovna-1.jpg” />

Interesting thread. By the way what is that building? Is it famous or something?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Interesting thread. By the way what is that building? Is it famous or something?

"The remains of the medieval royal city of Bobovac in the first half of the 15th century with restored chapel. Five tombs with the remains of Bosnian kings were found on the site of Bobovac."

Anonymous

Yeah we should rename our Parlament into Stanak :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yeah we should rename our Parlament into Stanak :D

Yes we should, Russia has their Duma and Ukraine has their Verhovna Rada, so Bosnia should have it's Stanak. However, I don't think Serbs and Croats would go for it.

Anonymous

Stanak sounds interesting. It reminds me of stan in slovene. For example planinski stan means area of planina (mountain meadow) where there are mountain huts. :D Stan can also mean;

State, class, profession, etc. Also example viteški stan means first estate and deželni stanovi were medieval "parliaments" in Inner Austrian duchies, etc.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Stanak sounds interesting. It reminds me of stan in slovene. For example planinski stan means area of planina (mountain meadow) where there are mountain huts. :D Stan can also mean;

State, class, profession, etc. Also example viteški stan means first estate and deželni stanovi were medieval "parliaments" in Inner Austrian duchies, etc.

When I read Stanak, I see Ustanak (Uprising).

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that the Stanak was secular, religious figures weren't allowed in.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I forgot to mention that the Stanak was secular, religious figures weren't allowed in.

Well they couldn't have Catholic bishops ranting about need to "wipe out the heathens" when most of the nobility from Vrhbosna, Usora and parts of Hum were adherents of CoB :)

Anonymous
    Quote:

Yeah i guess it was secular but not in modern sence. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well they couldn't have Catholic bishops ranting about need to "wipe out the heathens" when most of the nobility from Vrhbosna, Usora and parts of Hum were adherents of CoB :)

Even the Church of Bosnia was forbidden from participating in the Stanak.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • Shnickstara89
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • LCaine
  • Drizzt