• This topic has 5 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Bread, Harvesting and their Slavic Symbolism in Eastern Europe

Bread and salt is one of the most common greeting gestures in Eastern European, mostly Slavic countries. It’s a common gesture when admired guests (politicians, businessmen, famous people) arrive to a Slavic country.

Read the full story here

Anonymous

Do Croats really call ‘Hleb’ ‘Kruh’? Or it’s only part of literary language?

Anonymous

@Sviatogor i think both Hleb and Kruh are used in Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, BiH and Montenegro.

Hleb is used but Kruh is a “newer” version that is used more often. I think @KnezIvan would know better since he’s from Croatia. 

Anonymous

@Sviatogor I’ve heard them say it both ways (hljeb and kruh) but hljeb is rarely used, since kruh is standard form and sadly after the wars both sides are trying hard not to be anything like the other ones. H (Cyrillic X) is sometimes absent in spoken form so it’s ‘ljeb or kru’. In parts of Bosnia Serbs say kru’ too.

Anonymous

Хлеб (Khleb) is a common Slavic word used by eastern and western Slavs. Russians, Belarusians, Poles baked rye bread.  It takes 2 days and 6 stages to bake on Sweet Flag plant (Latin name: Acorus calamus)  leaf in oven one of the better known breads in Belarus. In Belarusian culture bread making was a ritual without exaggeration. Bread making equipment and recipes were passed from grandmothers to granddaughters.

Kruh sounds so Germanic.   Rye was grown in north-eastern Europe because it was yielding better crops than wheat.

Belarusian rye bread

Anonymous

Today our Slavic sisters living in the far east of Russia , in Vladivostok, met Indian military delegation with bread and salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJWis6kYGfs

Anonymous

@System

This is a good topic. Bread was important in Slavic cultures  In the past, if a Belarusian folk dropped bread on the floor, he’d  pick it, kiss it, and ask God for forgiveness. There were many beliefs and superstitions about bread. East Slavic women prayed before starting to make bread.

There are books written about beliefs and superstitions associated with bread making in eastern Slavia. Such was important the product in our cuisine.

Anonymous

I know about traditional bread making in eastern Slavia and Poland. It’d be interesting to see traditional bread made in southern Slavia. Do you guys eat rye bread at all? We used rye and leavening agent. Yeast was not used even what it was available. I think it may have something to do with religion. I am not sure about this.

@Dušan and @aaaaa

Can you post traditional breads made in Serbia and Bulgaria?

This is traditional Belarusian rye bread with seeds.

Anonymous

Bread and Salt

Serbs

Czechs

Anonymous

Lol photo of USA Vice-President Joseph Biden tasting Ukrainian rye bread! Anyway, I grew up eating left-over Pascha (Easter) ham on rye with horseradish condiment. Served with a crispy dill pickle. :smiley: Now, I’m hungry. haha. Sadly, I’ve never had home-made rye bread, only from the bakery.  :(  I envy those of you who have! 

Anonymous

@Karpivna

I am living away from parents house and my home country. I’ve learned to cook. I even learned to bake rye-bread. It was difficult to find appropriate rye flour.

Ukrainians have a bread-making tradition.  The make it better than Belarusians and Russians, in my opinion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • Nexius
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Nefario