Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

I dont know I found this fascinating. These Gypsies seem kind of different than other gypsies in central-eastern europe.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

That’s kinda ironic, considering the kardarashi (aka Serbian Gypsies or Hungarian Gypsies) are relatively few here and their main numbers are in Central and Western Europe. But, yes, some of them are like a time machine, a window looking back to between the Middle Ages and the 19th century.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

I just meant that they are different from other gypsies in general, I wasn’t Bulgarian gypsies to gyspies in other countries. Most gyspies dont care at all about their children not going to clubs or getting pregnant etc. These gypsies seem to at least care about their kids lives and seem to work though it’s horrible these women can’t work or get an education. I don’t necessarily find arranged marraige bad unless you don’t have any say in it.

Dušan
    Participant
    @dusan

I didn’t know this kind of Gypsies exist. It sounds like Indian caste system customs, they are a clan based on profession and they can marry only within their community. Also they’re pretty fair skinned Gypsies, most of them don’t even have typical Gypsy noses, but they do drive a Mercedes if they can…

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

All Gypsies traditionally have clans (they do come from Northern India, after all) – in Bulgaria they’re Kardarashi, Yerlii and I keep forgetting the name for the Vlach Gypsies. In addition they have sub-clans, often based on their profession – the Vlach Gypsies f.e. are Mechkari (though all dancing bears are in Bridgitte Bardo’s nature reserve now, so I don’t know what they’re doing), Kopanari (wooden spoon/ladle makers) and I think there was one more (some kind of musicians, I think?). The Kardarashi in general are named after their old job (cauldron-makers), but nowadays they’re mostly known as fortune-tellers and pickpockets (and they do make quite some big bucks from it, I’ve had some Kardarashi neighbours in my old area and they were indeed the richest Gypsies there). I think they’re also the ones who stick the most to their “meshere” (Gypsy court), so basically they’re the most conservative of all Gypsies, still preserving the traditions which most other groups have already abandoned.
    In general, Gypsies have a pretty interesting history and social system, but it remains largely unknown to most outsiders, especially today when those traditions are being lost among the Gypsies themselves. F.e. of all the Gypsies I’ve met, that family of Kardarashi was the only one whose clan I knew, all others are just Gypsies to me.

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

is it kardarashi or kalaidzi? whats the difference? Im just suprised that they arent living like animals. Not that all gypsies live like animals but at least in slovakia most gypsies live with no morals, no standards, and in complete filth. Ive see gypsies in slovakia as young as 11 pregnant etc. I recently read some kind of statment from India saying they recognize the gypsies as belonging to the Indian diaspora and ive even seen some movements calling for them to come back. Kind of interesting.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

The Kalaydzhii are a subgroup. Though I’m not completely sure if they’re a subgroup of the Kardarashi (which would be logical, given their trade) or of the Yerlii (particularly their “Bulgarian Gypsies” subset). Both those large groups have had kalaydzhii (tinsmiths), but in any case, those from the video, the Thracian Kalaydzhii (living mostly around Plovdiv and Stara Zagora), seem to rather set themselves apart and tend to have better relations with the Bulgarians than with the other Gypsies. Aside from that, they seem to be pretty much the same as the other Kardarashi – they are wealthier than the other Gypsies, they have better houses and better cars (i.e. they invest their wealth and like to show off with it), they’re more traditional and conservative and they’re spread across the country. Here’s a Wiki article about the Gypsy groups here (though the Bulgarian one is naturally better).

Srdceleva
    Participant
    @srdceleva

some of those kalaidzi chicks are pretty fine, maybe ill make it down there one day in a rented mercedes and just buy one, i mean she knows how to cook and clean and has basically no baggage. Sounds pretty good to me.

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Did you forget the part about them marrying only into their own group (which, as the video has mentioned, btw, has led to some health consequences due to the inbreeding)?

Here’s a couple more videos on the same subject, if you’re interested:

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Ah, it seems we can’t post more than one video in a post (perhaps). Here’s the second one:

NikeBG
    Participant
    @nikebg

Did you forget the part about them marrying only into their own group (which, as the video has mentioned, btw, has led to some health consequences due to the inbreeding)?

Here’s a couple more videos on the same subject, if you’re interested:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Piachu
  • Симеон
  • Bohun
  • Kratos