Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

A peculiar Slavic-Mediterranean gene admixture is in the core of the Bulgarian nation, a new Bulgarian-Italian genetic study has revealed.

Gene probes of 855 Bulgarians, including individuals from the country's Islam population, have been gathered and compared with other European nations, Professor Draga Toncheva from the Sofia-based Medical University has explained in an interview for the Bulgarian National Radio.

The results have failed to show any Turkic connection in the Bulgarians nation's genesis, contrary to popular beliefs.

Croatians, Poles, Ukrainians and other Slavic nations are closest to Bulgarians, according to the study. However, Bulgarians are a peculiar type of Slavs, since they also have Mediterranean genes,  head of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences' Microbiology Institute Angel Galabov has pointed out.

The Bulgarians' "peculiarity" has probably been the result of their contacts with ancient Thracians, scientists reckon.

The place of origin of the Ancient Bulgarians is most likely Eastern Iran, a group of anthropologists and scientists claimed in 2010 after an exploratory trip to the Persian lands.

Long-established theories about the making up of the Bulgarian ethnicity state that the Bulgarian nation was formed through the mixing of the Bulgarians with the local population made up of Slavs and some Thracians. Before 1989 the Bulgarians were believed to have been a minor tribe of Turkic origin.
    http://novinite.com/view_news.php?id=131894

Anonymous

Only a lunatic would claim that Bulgarians are not Slavic/European. All those crude theories about Bulgarians being Turks etc. are either from uneducated persons or people hostile to Bulgarians.

Anonymous

This theory was debunked by patriot historians long time ago. However I still see it is used in various nationalists boards to represent us bulgarians as some wild invaders and our territory doesn't belong to us and should be split between our neighbourhoods.

this theory was used also in Serbia to satistify their chauvinist claims

Anonymous

Genetics and physical anthropology of Bulgarians have no link to Central Asian Turkics whatsoever.
    Most are Pontid, meaning that they are similar to many Romanians, Southern Ukrainians/Russians, some Greeks and some Georgians. Genetically, they do not differ from neighbouring states (ironically enough, they cluster far only from neighbouring Turkey).

I would even suggest that ancient Bulgars were not Turkic either, but some ancient Iranian horde, like Scythians or Sarmatians.
    Nowadays one sees Bulgarians using ancient Bulgar names like Asparuh, Krum, Kubrat and Tervel (much like Hungarians use ancient names of their Hunnish ancestors – who I also don't believe to be Mongol, as some claim, rather Iranic – like Réka and Atilla), which could very well be similar to names our ancient Scythians and Sarmatians used, except Bulgarians have resurrected them and use them alongside Slavic names like Vladimir, Svetoslav and Velislava and Christian names like Lazar, Ivan, Anna, Maria and Ekaterina.

Otherwise, Sokil summed it up as he usually does: short, brash, effective and painfully true. ;)

Anonymous

I always thought of Bulgarians as some sort of Slavic+Greek blend both culturally and genetically, same with Macedonians and southern Serbs.

Anonymous

if you mean that Bulgarians have not turkic/non-european admixture then you are right.However this doesn't make Bulgarians "purely indoeuropeans" since this thing doesn't exist.There isn't any "purely indoeuropean" nation in europe, most of europeans are more pre-IE than IE, no matters if we speak IE.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I always thought of Bulgarians as some sort of Slavic+Greek blend both culturally and genetically, same with Macedonians.

The greek member will tell you that we have nothing in common culturally. Genetically we share similiraties, but the greeks should be compared with italians, iberians, southern french, not with us

Anonymous

Only a lunatic would claim that Bulgarians are not Slavic/European. All those crude theories about Bulgarians being Turks etc. are either from uneducated persons or people hostile to Bulgarians.

exactly so ;)

I never had any doubts about Bulgarians being Europeans and Turk-free. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:
    I always thought of Bulgarians as some sort of Slavic+Greek blend both culturally and genetically, same with Macedonians.

The greek member will tell you that we have nothing in common culturally. Genetically we share similiraties, but the greeks should be compared with italians, iberians, southern french, not with us

seriously we have many in common like religion.However generally yes the culturally closest nation to us are Italians.

But after all we are neighboors, it's very dificult to say "we have nothing common"

Anonymous
    Quote:

I meant, orthodox round buildings, similar terrain, mutual history for few centuries, similar phenotypes and faces (same thing as the Croat-Hungarian similarities and same impression from other people thinking of our countries even thought we are Slavic and they're Magyar)… those small things give such an impression…thought of course Greeks are Hellenes, while Bulgarians are Slavic.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

I meant, orthodox round buildings, similar terrain, mutual history for few centuries, similar phenotypes and faces (same thing as the Croat-Hungarian similarities and same impression from other people thinking of our countries even thought we are Slavic and they're Magyar)… those small things give such an impression…thought of course Greeks are Hellenes, while Bulgarians are Slavic.

I've spent my vacation this summer in Asprovalta and Stavros, Northern Greece.
    To be honest greeks get along much better with serbs than with bulgarians. This is my impression They are also orthodoxy brothers, I even bought myself a tshirt written ( Paok – Partizan Orthodoxy brothers)

However I like both serbs and greeks, what I want is to pass from the stage of rivalry into the stage of  mutual understanding and cooperation like the french and the german did.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Bulgarians have some Turk genetcs, but hey, they ruled by turks for a long time. But that of is not mean that they are turks…

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Bulgarians have some Turk genetcs, but hey, they ruled by turks for a long time. But that of is not mean that they are turks…

You mean the 1 million Turkish community in Bulgaria?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not know Bulgaria well… I just mean that even if Bulgarians have some Turk Genetics, it is cause of Ottoman expansion

Anonymous
    Quote:

Uf, so many..? Is the Pomak minority included in that number, as they are of Islamic religion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kony97
  • Piachu
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • slovborg
  • Fia
  • Jyxia