• This topic has 7 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #344810

    Anonymous

    I thought this was a joke when I first heard about it. 

    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Before an unruly Tennessee party ended with a student hospitalized for a dangerously high blood alcohol level, most people had probably never heard of alcohol enemas.

    Thanks to the drunken exploits of a fraternity at the University of Tennessee, the bizarre way of getting drunk is giving parents, administrators and health care workers a new fear.

    When Alexander "Xander" Broughton, 20, was delivered to the hospital after midnight on Sept. 22, his blood alcohol level was measured at 0.448 percent – nearly six times the intoxication that defines drunken driving in the state. Injuries to his rectum led hospital officials to fear he had been sodomized.

    Police documents show that when an officer interviewed a fellow fraternity member about what happened, the student said the injuries had been caused by an alcohol enema.

    "It is believed that members of the fraternity were utilizing rubber tubing inserted into their rectums as a conduit for alcohol," according to a police report.

    While Broughton told police he remembered participating in a drinking game with fellow members of the Pi Kappa Alpha chapter, he denied having an alcohol enema. Police concluded otherwise from evidence they found at the frat house, including boxes of Franzia Sunset Blush wine.

    "He also had no recollection of losing control of his bowels and defecating on himself," according to a university police report that includes photos of the mess left behind in the fraternity house after the party.

    Broughton did not respond to a cellphone message seeking comment on Friday.

    The university responded with swift investigation and a decision Friday to shutter the fraternity until at least 2015. The national Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity organization also accepted the withdrawal of the campus charter.

    Alcohol enemas have been the punch lines of YouTube videos, a stunt in a "Jackass" movie and a song by the punk band NOFX called "Party Enema." But Corey Slovis, chairman of department of emergency medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said actually going through with the deed can have severe consequences.

    "It's something that offers no advantages, while at the same time risking someone's life," he said.

    The procedure bypasses the stomach, accelerating the absorption rate, Slovis said. Pouring the alcohol through a funnel can increase the amount of alcohol consumed because it's hard to gauge how much is going in.

    "When you're dumping it into your rectum, often via a funnel, one or two ounces seems like such a minuscule amount," he said. Ingesting more can create unconsciousness quite quickly, he explained.

    The effects have been fatal in at least one case. An autopsy performed after the death of a 58-year-old Texas man in 2004 showed he had been given an enema with enough sherry to have a blood alcohol level of 0.47 percent. Negligent homicide charges were later dropped against his wife, who said she gave him the enema.

    Students walking across campus this week generally responded with sighs and eye rolls when asked about the allegations.

    "It's like a big joke," said Erica Davis, a freshman from Hendersonville. "Because who does that?"

    Gordon Ray, a senior from Morristown, said the details of the case caught him off guard, but not the fact that fraternity members would be overdoing it with alcohol.

    "It is definitely over the top," said Ray. "But it doesn't surprise me, I don't guess."

    The harm the news has done to the university's national reputation was on the mind of several students.

    "If someone wants to be stupid, then they should do it where it won't affect anyone else," said Marlon Alessandra, freshman from Independence, Va.

    James E. Lange, who coordinates alcohol and drug abuse prevention strategies at San Diego State University, said alcohol enemas aren't a common occurrence on campuses, though normal consumption still contributes to hundreds of student deaths annually. And many of those can be attributed to reckless attitudes about the consequences of heavy drinking, he said.

    "It's not unusual to hear that students are drinking to get drunk," he said.

    Lange said he hopes students don't draw the wrong lessons from the University of Tennessee incident.

    "Students and people in general are pretty good at denying that they are at risk for whatever happened to someone else," he said. "So they can look at something like this and say `I'm OK because I would never do that.'

    "However, they may be drinking heavily, or doing things like mixing alcohol with prescription meds that is putting them at serious risk," he said.

    To Tennessee freshman Cody Privett of Sevierville, there's nothing appealing about the incident on his campus.

    "It's stupid, it's an unfortunate situation," said Privett, of Sevierville. "I mean there's partying, and then there's other things."

    #405700

    Anonymous

    Geez, when did people get so stupid. Alcohol goes in your mouth.

    #405701

    Anonymous

    image

    #405702

    Anonymous

    WTF  ;D
    "beer in my ass" literally  ;D  retards

    #405703

    Anonymous

    Can you imagine trying to explain what you did to a doctor when you are in the hospital after doing this ?

    #405704

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Can you imagine trying to explain what you did to a doctor when you are in the hospital after doing this ?

    "Well, doctor, I was abducted by the aliens, they performed many experiments on me, including alcohol resistance measurements" ;D

    #405705

    Anonymous

    This is both sad and hilarious. I thought eye shots were absurd.

    #405706

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    eye shots

    i wonder how theyll practice head shots
    ;D

    #405707

    Anonymous

    This is typical behavor around North American youth who were never taught from a young age to respect alcohol. They are taught to fear-it and in turn they tend to abuse it – which leads to this.

    I have witnessed this sort of stupidity with my own eyes (not butt chugging in particular), the mentality which states "lets gooo and get fuuuckkkkeddd upp!!!" and indeed they DO get ****ed up.

    I grew up in North America but was brought up in a Serbian home, so evidentally I was introduced to alcohol at a young age, 6 to be exact – my first shot of rakija on my Slava. :D but always taught to respect it, not to fear it or "stay away" but rather to be responsible with it while having an appreciation for what it is.

    Those that tend to get "****kkedddd UPPP!!!" are the ones taught at a youg age to "stay away", it's bad… etc… so it's become an act of rebellion.

    #405708

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    This is typical behavor around North American youth who were never taught from a young age to respect alcohol. They are taught to fear-it and in turn they tend to abuse it – which leads to this.

    I have witnessed this sort of stupidity with my own eyes (not butt chugging in particular), the mentality which states "lets gooo and get fuuuckkkkeddd upp!!!" and indeed they DO get ****ed up.

    I grew up in North America but was brought up in a Serbian home, so evidentally I was introduced to alcohol at a young age, 6 to be exact – my first shot of rakija on my Slava. :D but always taught to respect it, not to fear it or "stay away" but rather to be responsible with while appreciating it for what it is.

    Those that tend to get "****kkedddd UPPP!!!" are the ones taught at a youg age to "stay away", it's bad… etc… so it's become an act of rebellion.

    You are  correct

    #405709

    Anonymous
    Quote:

    You are  correct

    I've had people tell me to CHUG CHUG CHUG for no reason other than to get stupid fast, most people here don't understand the idea of "enjoying a drink"… they look at me with awe in their eyes when I say "I enjoy the taste" lmao – the majority don't even like alcohol or what they're drinking, they just know if they drink alot and FAST, they'll get stupid and that's the only point to them.

    #405710

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    I've had people tell me to CHUG CHUG CHUG for no reason other than to get stupid fast, most people here don't understand the idea of "enjoying a drink"… they look at me with awe in their eyes when I say "I enjoy the taste" lmao – the majority don't even like alcohol or what they're drinking, they just know if they drink alot and FAST, they'll get stupid and that's the only point to them.

    My dad is from costa rica and my mom's an ethnic Rusyn.  Beer and wine at the table was normal and there was never a taboo about drinking.  Today they drive kids into binging with this 21 year old drinking age.  It just causes alcohol abuse and stupid stunts like anal drinking

    #405711

    Anonymous
    Quote:

    My dad is from costa rica and my mom's an ethnic Rusyn.  Beer and wine at the table was normal and there was never a taboo about drinking.  Today they drive kids into binging with this 21 year old drinking age.  It just causes alcohol abuse and stupid stunts like anal drinking

    Agreed 100%.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Tujev