• This topic has 21 voices and 45 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Can we build a strong pan-Slavic state based only on the Slavic culture, language, and identity? I wouldn’t say it has to necessarily incorporate all of the Slavic states and/or regions, but carry the idea of Slavic unity and equality among all Slavs. We hear pro-Russian groups claiming to be “pro-Slavic”, but they all want to be part of the Russian state, which all-in-all is a nation-state for the Russians.
    I don’t know, is this a plausible hypothesis? Or maybe not?

Anonymous

Why?

Anonymous

@aaaaa why not? it’s only a question whether it’s possible or not. it isn’t a statement.

Anonymous

We cannot. A single pan-slavic state will mean cultural absorption of smaller states by larger one . Macedonia by Bulgaria. Ukraine and Belarus by Russia. Slovakia by Czech Republic. Slovenia by Croatia and so on. We’d like to keep our identities and cultures separate in current stage of our developments.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor very nice and realistic answer. We could cooperate much more, but anything outside that is pure utopia.

Anonymous

I think a confederation couldn’t be out of the question. That way no countries could impose on each other. Though not anything like Yugoslavia, that turned out a mess. Something more loose, where we could cultivate our values and traditions, and at the same time protect our borders and territorial integrity which is something we must think about. Turks, Albanians, etc. will get some more Slavic land in the future if we don’t prevent it. I agree with @Sviatogor that we should keep our identities and cultures, but the best way to do that is by bonding.

Anonymous

This is beautiful idea, but is utopia. Without totalitarianism it is not possible, and we know as end such countries. ;) Slavic union in the economic and culture plan yes! Slavic State? No.

PS: Welcome back all! Sława!

Anonymous

An interesting idea, unfortunately, difficult to maintain due to the constant urge domination stronger and larger, over the weakest.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor
    This is very wrong. It would more likely be more along the lines of the EU, but with a deeper common heritage. However, after a prolonged union, it is inevitable that the cultures will merge, albeit not completely.

It is possible, and it is likely that sometime in the future it may happen again, since it did occur briefly after WWII in some form before the Tito-Stalin split. The primary issues with cultural absorption are among the Eastern Slavs, with Muslim Slavs, and with smaller Slavic groups and perhaps Slovenia and Montenegro, and Kosovo. There is also the issue of the desire in Russia to have Russia placed within a larger federation; however since there is precedent for them being okay with that in the Soviet Union with its RSFSR, the underrepesentation of Russians in a theoretical upper house would be a greater issue. It depends on how CW2 ends, but Pan-Slavism and Euroskepticism, linked to Russophilia as well, go together.

Anonymous

This topic appeared here more than once and there were always same comments on it, so I’m going to copy my comment from last time:
    “I think Slavic Union, similar to EU could work. Union based on culture first. Economically it would also function very good, because of huge intercontinental territory and all the bonds all Slavic countries have with each other and with rest of the world. But to speak of a single country is extremely unrealistic at this moment, maybe some very loose confederation, but even that is a bit unrealistic. Of course EU would have to collapse in order for us to form SU. I personally am pan-Slavic orientated, so I would love that, but it’s not very likely to happen. I think people in my country (Serbia) would react mostly positive, because they would be in Union with Russia, and trust me people here love Russia, also there are Slovakia, Czech republic and Poland to some extent which are seen as friendly brotherly countries. That’s only speaking about countries that are far away from us, being in Union with Montenegro, Bosnia and Macedonia (if they would declare themselves Slavs again :D ) would be also greeted positively.
    If all conflicts between Slavic nations would end peacefully and all resolved so we can live in peace, brotherhood and unity, I think it would be possible and useful for all of us.”
    from topic “Another USSR, all Slavic Nations, as one?”

Anonymous

Serbians have no clue what it is to be living next to Russia. If Serbia was in place of Ukraine I am more the 110% certain there will be bickering between Serbs and Russians because Russians will be selling to Serbs Slavic and Orthodox brotherhood wanting Serbs to forget their culture and language in order to become Russians. Russia is backward state with politics and mentality of people who lived in 18th-19th century thinking territorial expansion and cultural assimilation is what makes Russia great.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor Serbians do have romantic image of Russia and if they were closer to us (bordering us) I guess people would have quite negative stance towards them. Russian was introduced to Serbs in 18th and 19th century through Russo-Slavonic and Slavonic-Serbian (славяносербскій or in modern Serbian славеносрпски/slavenosrpski). Now days Belarus has very positive image here due Belarus stance on situation in Ukraine and joint military drills of Russia, Belarus and Serbia, basically people have same image of it as of Russia.

Anonymous

Basically, it’s like that medieval Greek saying that went something like “If a Frank is your friend, he is clearly not your neighbour” (or alternatively “Have the Frank as your friend, but never as your neighbour”). Actually, come to think of it, it’s rather rare for a neighbouring country to be considered as a friend (especially if it isn’t also considered weaker or inferior).

Anonymous

This reminds me that my family constantly fights with each other but they have a high opinion of me. They only have a high opinion of me because I have lived far away from them for 20 years. I think that as Slavic people, we will always have more difficulty with those with whom we have more interaction. We seem to bond more strongly when fighting against a common enemy. Is this just human nature or is it magnified among us?

Anonymous

I’d say it’s human nature. If you look at history, the same can be said for the ancient Greeks as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Shendelzare Silkwood
  • Tosti
  • Australian Santa
  • KratΩs
  • MaRk0V
  • Nefario