• This topic has 3 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The name Nadislav.  Is it derived from the verb “nadati” (to hope) or from the noun “nada” (hope)?  If I go by other Slavic names as examples, the name should be “Nadoslav” if derived from the noun “nada” and “Nadaslav” if derived from the verb “nadati” (because we say “on nada” and not “on nadi”), so then why is the prefix “Nadi”?  Is it a relic from an earlier time when the conjugation of “nadati” was slightly different?     

I am in the process of learning Serbo-Croatian and I have always had an interest in given names.    

Anonymous

It is believed that the name is derived from “nada” + “slava”.

Just like other names of this kind, Borislav, Branislav, Bratislav, Dobroslav, Dragoslav, Jaroslav, Miroslav, Rastislav, Stanislav, Svetoslav, Tomislav, Vladislav, Velislav, Vojislav… and many many more which have the suffix -slav (or -slava in it’s feminine form) :)

Anonymous

Yes, but for example, in the name Slavomir the feminine noun “slava” becomes “slavo” as a prefix, however in this name the feminine noun “nada” does not become “nado”.   

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

@Nasięgniew well there is a similar example of “Lado” deriving from “Lada”.

However in this case it is different:

Nado didn’t derive from Nada, but in fact both Nado and Nada derived from Nenad/Nenada.

Anonymous

@Nasięgniew hmm it’s just how it works… as you can see, from the names which I posted, they can be divided into 2 groups.. the ones which have “o” as an infix:

Dobroslav, Dragoslav, Jaroslav, Miroslav, etc.

and the ones which have “i” as an infix:

Borislav, Branislav, Bratislav, Rastislav, Stanislav, Tomislav, Vladislav, Velislav, Vojislav – as well as Nadislav.

I can’t tell you why is that right now.. but I’m guessing you’re not a Slav, are you?

Because, to my Slav ears, Nadoslav sounds really really ridiculous… also each one of these, sounds so unnatural and ridiculous with a different infix… for example Mirislav or Jarislav… or Boroslav and Branoslav… sounds really unnatural. Like there is a pattern.

There most likely is a reason in phonetics of Slavic languages why these infixes are as such, however I can’t answer it.. at least not at the moment… however if you’re really curious, I could ask someone who has the greater knowledge in these subjects than me. :)

Anonymous

@cHr0mChIk

The names Borislav, Branislav, Rastislav, Stanislav, Tomislav, Vladislav, Velislav, Vojislav all derive from verbs (boriti – to fight, braniti – to protest, rasti – to grow, stati – to become, tomiti – to subdue or torture, vladati – to rule, veliti – to want, to demand.  It would make sense if Nadislav also derived from a verb, like Naditi, perhaps an Old Church Slavonic one, but so far I could not find such a verb in that language. 

On the other hand, the names Dobroslav, Dragoslav, Jaroslav, Miroslav, Mudroslav, etc. derive from nouns or adjectives (dobro – good, drago – dear, jar – great, mir – peace, mudri – smart). 

Or at least it seems that way to me.  Perhaps you’re right and it’s structured the way it is because it sounds good that way.

Anonymous

Sorry, I meant “braniti – to protect” (too many protests going on where I live in the moment) :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nexius
  • (o)possum tamer 🐀 (kris)
  • kony97
  • Nefario
  • Tujev