• This topic has 5 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

On this date, 100 years ago Gavrilo Princip died from consequences of tuberculosis in Terezín, today in Czechia. Member of Young Bosnia, assassin of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand, who’s death acted as a spark in powder keg that was Europe in 1914. Most Serbs remember Princip with pride and see him as national hero. Our government official adequately marked this date:

there are different opinion of this man, his organization and their actions. We already had thread on this topic here, but it went toxic, so I’m posting this here. Regardless of different opinions of him, Gavrilo Princip is important character in Slavic history, and in world history in general.

Anonymous

Yes, it went toxic, but still I think its shameful to make a hero from an assassin.

Anonymous

@Dušan
    the guy assassinated an emperor who was actually more pro-slavic and caused one of the biggest wars in history. He shouldnt be honored imo.

Anonymous

@srdceleva death of Franz Ferdinand and start WWI doesn’t have much to do with each other. For the start of WWI you should look to Berlin congress, just like for the start of WWII you should look to Versailles treaty. Europe was heading towards pan-European conflict one way or another. AH empire used that as an excuse to give Serbia ridiculous ultimatum and finally to invade Serbia. Look up situation in Europe at the beginning of the war, a pig dying in a Romanian village could’ve started that war. 
    Now I agree, assassination in a time of peace is unjustified and unnecessary. Archduke, not an emperor Franz Ferdinand concentrated on sticking it up to the Hungarians, nothing pro-Slavic, just anti-Hungarian which worked in his favor among Slavic population (well, obviously not all Slavic population).

Anonymous

@srdceleva He didn’t start the war, Austro-Hungarians did. Besides its was not business of Serbia to take care for the safety of an heir to Austro-Hungarian throne, on Austro-Hungarian land, but empires own police and gendarmes. Later on, by proclaiming the war on Serbia they only embarassed themselves and when Serbia defeated them at the end of the war they even humiliated themselves :)

Anonymous

@Dušan he was going to be emperor, same difference. Obviously europe was heading to war, but his horrible deed didnt help anything. He killed not only franz ferdinand but his wife as well, like what heck. That same day they also had had a grenade thrown in their car. Why are serbians always so violent. The fact that he was in favor of slavs and against hugarians was a great thing for the slavs, who knows what would have happened if he had never been killed. Slovaks would never honor this kind of extreme behavior even if it was done for “slovakia.” 

Anonymous

@srdceleva Looking in Serbian history should help you figure that out, why are people here violent. If he never was killed maybe the WWI wouldn’t start on Balkans but somewhere else and that’s pretty much it, although AH had plans to include Serbia into the empire, one way or another. Europe was already divided.
    He killed both of them by pure chance, I mean the bullet that killed her went through some of the car’s construction, her seat, corset and hit exactly into abdominal aorta all wanting to shoot Potiorek. Bullet that the archduke him went straight for the neck artery, that too by pure chance. He actually had a chance to shoot him earlier that day in a crowded shop, but gave up, because she was too close. This thing was improvised, he wasn’t even suppose to be there. The whole thing was executed very amateurishly. There were actually three guys before Princip including that one with a bomb who failed to act it out.
    Just to clarify I’m not justifying anything or defending anyone, I’m just stating the facts. We’ve already agreed that it was unnecessary and gruesome.

Anonymous

It was also a part of the times, btw, especially here on the Balkans. Heck, look at VMRO’s period of assassinations – f.e. Vlado Chernozemski is still considered somewhat of a hero here for having killed Alexander Karageorgevic, as well as Mara Buneva for killing Velimir Prelic (and those are only some of the examples of assassinations against external enemies, btw, not to mention the period of infighting and assassinations within the organization itself). It’s still terrorism with collateral victims, but there have been much worse cases (*khm* dirty commies *khm*). In any case, the Balkans were still Europe’s Wild East back then and assassinations weren’t so uncommon.

Anonymous

That’s true, no one even mentiones all the Serbian leaders assassinated by the Serbs :D 
    Vlado Georgiev has completely different reputation here. I mean Serbia started the century with assassination of the Serbian king and queen.

Anonymous

I think we should honor our heroes.
    Relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7YtcRc8CEE

Anonymous

@aaaaa I can’t see act of honour and heroism in assasination.

Anonymous

That’s your problem. Mind, it’s not just assassination, it’s high profile political assassination done at great personal risk. It’s dripping with symbolism. You have martyrdom, making the enemy appear vulnerable, ritualistic delivery of justice, creating an example to emulate etc etc etc.
    Violence is only bad when the bad guys wield it. The good guys have a duty to exert righteous violence, otherwise they would not be the good guys in the first place. A cartoonish example of this is US foreign policy, but yes, that’s exactly how it works, whether you realize it or not.

Anonymous

@Shaokang
    Oh, so you’re not a fan of Milos Obilic then?

Anonymous

@NikeBG I don’t think that is comparable. Obilić (or whatever his name was) killed a military commander during a battle.

Anonymous

Killed or assassinated? Was Murad actively fighting or standing at the side? Did Obilic charge at him Hollywood-hero-style or pretended to desert and used a concealed weapon? Heck, I half-expect him to have looked like this (minus the firearms). :tongue:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.