• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Chernobog (also spelled Crnobog, Czernobóg, Černobog, Црнобог or Zernebog from the Russian Чернобог, each name meaning "black god") is a Slavic deity. The only sources, which are Christian  ones, interpret him as a dark, accursed god.

Fantasia – Night on Bald Mountain

Anyone has some more info on him? those Christian sources that are mentioned?

Anonymous

Chernobog, by Vsevolod Ivanov

[img width=500 height=372]http://01varvara.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/vsevolod-ivanov-chernobog-2007-e1272684774909.jpg?w=1000&h=745″ />

Anonymous

It would be worthwhile to examine where from Valter Skott, in his novel Ivanhoe, twice between saxon gods mentioned Crnebog. Saxon Ulrika, once, says (Ch. XXVII):''It would be better, to recover Woden, Hertha and Zernebock, the gods of our still unbaptized forefathers'' and, second, again (Ch. XXXI): ''burn torch, Zernebock roaring!''

Anonymous

Book of Veles for Crnobog says: "Two beings in heaven are contained, Belobog and Crnobog, and both of them Svarog keep and commands" (D-11) and
    "And when the days of autumn, the harvest is finished and we are looking forward to it. And if then some one is off track and starts talking unreasonable, that's from Crnobog… "(D-22).

Anonymous

So that refers to him as a god of madness  ???

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So that refers to him as a god of madness  ???

"Black deities may not be evil deities. They could get that name from kind of their material properties, and we, based on analogous cases of other religions,  can say that these deities which area, empire, is black and dark and that, therefore, generally have a black appearance".
    Veselin Čajkanović, Serbian classical scholar, religious history scholar

But personaly, I think it was dualism Crnobog-Belobog (dark-light, evil-good, etc., Shafarik and Gregor Krek, philologists agree with me ;D).

It is particularly interesting that the two opposite hills sometimes called name one black and the other named white god: the Chernik and Belboh in Czechia, and Čorneboh and Bileboh near Budyšin in Saxony (Niederle, 1 s)…

One Lusatian-Serbian myth speaks of origin of Viola(flower): "Once upon a time, Crnobog lived on a hill near Budyšin, which Hill even today bears his name Chorni boh (not far from this hill is a small hill Bely boh). There is He lived in a beautiful palace, and people sacrificed him bloody sacrifices. He had extraordinarily beautiful daughter that is loved by all. Here Crnobog had long and happy reign. But when Christianity take advance, then he and his palace fainted; only his beautiful daughter becomes violet, which every year on May 1st, again arise as the beautiful woman".

Anonymous

Wikipedia, at least its english version says that the Chernobog as well as its counterpart Belobog never existed and were never a part of a Slavic pantheon. It says that these Gods were made up by Christians. Similar is the case with godess Lada. Personally, I dont know what to think of it and whom to trust with this regard.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Wikipedia, at least its english version says that the Chernobog as well as its counterpart Belobog never existed and were never a part of a Slavic pantheon. It says that these Gods were made up by Christians. Similar is the case with godess Lada. Personally, I dont know what to think of it and whom to trust with this regard.

Among scholars-mythologists, I think no one doubt in existance of Crnobog, (except А. Brückner in his Mitologia Slava) but, some think that as you said it was "made" by Church influence, although we don't have some special evidence about that.
    So, I think he was real Slavic god.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It is particularly interesting that the two opposite hills sometimes called name one black and the other named white god: the Chernik and Belboh in Czechia, and Čorneboh and Bileboh near Budyšin in Saxony (Niederle, 1 s)…

One Lusatian-Serbian myth speaks of origin of Viola(flower): "Once upon a time, Crnobog lived on a hill near Budyšin, which Hill even today bears his name Chorni boh (not far from this hill is a small hill Bely boh). There is He lived in a beautiful palace, and people sacrificed him bloody sacrifices. He had extraordinarily beautiful daughter that is loved by all. Here Crnobog had long and happy reign. But when Christianity take advance, then he and his palace fainted; only his beautiful daughter becomes violet, which every year on May 1st, again arise as the beautiful woman".

Quote:
    Wikipedia, at least its english version says that the Chernobog as well as its counterpart Belobog never existed and were never a part of a Slavic pantheon. It says that these Gods were made up by Christians. Similar is the case with godess Lada.

We should take due note of legends and myths very thoroughly as a valuable source – they must originate only at a time, when people worshiped old gods, so I think these "accusations of made-up gods" are meaningless.
    By the way, why would Christians make up positive pagan gods as Lada? That does not make sense.

Anonymous

I have to admit i too believe it's a probably an influence of Christianity on Paganism because in general in Paganism there is no such clear dualism, thought then again it might be true that the gods where somewhat in the Slavic pantheon from before but only thought Christian influence did they slowly become such, clear opposites in conflict etc.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have to admit i too believe it's a probably an influence of Christianity on Paganism because in general in Paganism there is no such clear dualism, thought then again it might be true that the gods where somewhat in the Slavic pantheon from before but only thought Christian influence did they slowly become such, clear opposites in conflict etc.

Actually, in Zoroastrism (Persian paganism) there is strong duality. In fact the duality and eternal strugle between two heavenly beings – Ahura Mazda and Ahriman – and also between two groups of nations represented by theese heavenly beings – Aryan and Turanian – is the main principle of Aryan heathenism.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.