• This topic has 7 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My story will be based in circa 800 AD Europe and will have an alternative-history theme.  I have created some character names for my novel based on Slavic names.  As far as I can tell, the names I have made don’t exist in any literature or historical records. 

Arislav

Based on the name Ruslan, which was popularized in Russia by Alexander Pushkin and is actually borrowed from the Turkic name Arislan (lion).  My version of the name stays truer to the original Turkic spelling.   

Čelibor (leader in battle)
    Čelimir (leader of peace)
    Čelislav (leads in glory or glorious leader)

From the proto-Slavic čelo (forhead) and various derived terms čelit (to face, confront in Czech) or načelnik (chief, leader in Serbo-Croatian) or naczelny (chief, foremost, leading in Polish). 

Nerimir (?)
    Nerislav (he who will dive headlong into glory)

From proto-Slavic nerti (to dive) and a derived term neriti (in Serbo-Croatian) I have come up with the following.  The story is when I was in my early teens and first learning about other Slavic languages, I came upon a typo of the name Berislav while researching Yugoslavia.  The typo really captured my imagination.  I imagined this dark-blue/purple clad knight from some strange but familiar land in the East.   

Noribor (he who immerses himself in battle). 

From proto-Slavic noriti (to submerge or immerse)

What do you think?  Do these names invoke any emotions or hint at the sort of character who might have them?  Good or evil? 

Anonymous

That’s cool. Arislav sounds pretty majestic in Slovak.

Keep in mind that sounds sound different to people that speak different languages.
    For example Serbs say that Slovak swear words sound weak. :D

I assume that these names will invoke different things in Serbs, Ukrainians, Russians, Czechs, etc.

I also noticed that all these names have 3 syllables. If you’re going to make more names, maybe do some variety.
    For inspiration: Ctibor, Mojmír, maybe Slobodomil or Svobodomil could be a name instead of just a regular word.

Anyway keep up the good work!  ;)

Anonymous

Arislav sounds like Arian Glory. I bet aaaaa will like it! :P
    Still, my favourite old Slavic name is probably Radegost. And while doing my research for one mod, I stumbled upon some cool historical names in “Who’s who in medieval Bulgaria” as well – f.e. Vladchert, which I guess would be translated as “ruler of/controlling demons”. There’s a bunch of others there which I like as well (like the funny for my modern years “Glad” and “Gavra”).

Anyway, nice names! I didn’t really understand their meaning myself, of course, at least until you explained it. But most of all, my admirations for writing a novel based in a Slavic setting! What language are you writing it in?

Anonymous

lol Nachalnik.

Wait, mea culpa, I thought you were planning to use it as a personal name, which, upon further inspection you were not.
    I think my favorite faux slavic name is Derislav, though.

Anonymous

Someone needs to be named after the crown – Korona, Kruna, etc.

Blue Blood.

Anonymous

@NikeBG

Currently I am writing it in Polish, so the names mentioned above take on a Polish form (example Arysław, Norzybor or Czelimir), however the languages in the story are not any modern Slavic languages, but rather based on old West Slavic, East Slavic and South Slavic and Old Church Slavonic.   

@Kapitán Denis

I have some other names in mind like Vranko or Vraniš as well, I do agree and I have noticed my self that it would be pretty boring if all I had were these long names. :D  

@aaaaa

Derislav?  You mean from dьrati (to tear something off)?  Sounds pretty cool actually. 

Anonymous

Anonymous

Yeah. Although it means to tear the skin off something, more specifically. Happy 1st of April.

Anonymous

I need an ancient name for a wise woman Baba — a healer, perhaps a vjestica. My story is set in Croatia. in Dalmatia. Any ideas? Thanks.

Anonymous

Baba Roga

Anonymous

@woodlandperegrine

hmmm, I envision two sisters, possibly even twins, named Nadislava and Nedislava (or Nada and Neda). 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.