• This topic has 4 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

How was it handled? I’ve heard about the Izbriani in Slovenia, but how was it done in the other former Yugoslav republics?
    For example: a serbian who lives in Croatia. Until 1991, he was a yugoslav citizen. But after that (or after 1995), when Croatia is not more part of Yugoslavia, was he allowed to live in Croatia? Did he get automatic citizenship? I used Croatia as a example, but the question is about all former yugoslav republics.

Anonymous

As far as I know, after the wars in ex-Yugoslavia it was forbidden to hold double citizenship (of two ex-Yugoslav countries). Today I am pretty sure many people hold double citizenship, but to answer your question you would hold citizenship of the country you live in. If you live abroad you can hold citizenship of the country that your parents would be born on today’s map, though I think they too need to have citizenship of their countries of origin.
    Serbs from Croatia had refugee status for long period, that’s until some of them returned back to Croatia, but I think most of them still lives in Serbia

Anonymous

In Slovenia, everyone who had a permanent residence in the territory of Slovenia on the day 25. 06. 1991 was allowed to acquire citizenship of the new Republic of Slovenia. The cost was 600SIT = 3 EUR.

Those who did not apply till the day 26.02.1992 were erased from all registers.

The wast majority of this people were those who were calculating that they would be better off back in Serbia. Later when they realized that we were not crushed by the Yugoslavian army and that Slovenia would be a better place for them to live, they wanted it back.. 

However, there were some people who at the beginning of the war were for what ever reason not in Slovenia and were not able to return in Slovenia till 1992. 

At the end European court ruled out that all this people should get compensation for all years they were erased from the register. The end of the story:)

Anonymous

Most Serbs who lived in Croatia could get Croatian citizenship, Serbs that were expelled from Croatia in Oluja action (1995) also can get citizenship. Many Serbs born there or descending from there now take that opportunity to obtain EU passport, since Croatia became EU member 3 years ago. I don’t know if it was automatic. Short answer yes, people who lived in one of the federal republics (SFR Yugoslavia had six of those, Serbia, Croatia, B&H…) got that citizenship provided that they wanted it, which wasn’t always the case in 1991-1995. Many can get dual citizenship, like many Serbs have both Bosnian and Serbian or Croats have both Bosnian and Croatian.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

17 User(s) Online Join Server
  • pothead
  • KratΩs
  • MaRk0V
  • Shvo
  • malyar
  • Lyutenitsa™