• This topic has 19 voices and 65 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

How is Serbo-Croatian classified in other countries? I already know how it is classified in Croatia,BiH,Serbia, and Montenegro. Western academia and business mostly clasify it as a single language. Please refrain from negative opinions, I just want info.

Anonymous

In Australia they are separate languages.

Anonymous

In the USA, they are one language in academia, universities still offer it singly, written in two alphabets. Businesses also classify it as a signle language. I know this because I attend a state university (not for linguistic studies) and my work experience.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In the USA, they are one language in academia, universities still offer it singly, written in two alphabets. Businesses also classify it as a signle language. I know this because I attend a state university (not for linguistic studies) and my work experience.

That is more or less situation in whole world. (Except in Ex Yugoslavia)

Anonymous

Svevlad,

Can you be more specific about australia? Is australia really the only "western" nation that recognizes the BCMS labels in it's institutions?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Can you be more specific about australia? Is australia really the only "western" nation that recognizes the BCMS labels in it's institutions?

In University they regard the languages as separate, even Montenegrin. In schools the languages are taught separately; you have Serbian classes and you have Croatian classes. And I'm assuming the government treats them as separate seeing as there is a government program (Victorian School of Languages) that funds classes in various languages, I attended a Bosnian class, and I friend of mine went to a Serbian class. Some places (non-governmental institutions) will have classes in one of the languages, and equate it to Serbo-Croatian; so they'll offer Croatian, for example, but call it both Croatian and Serbo-Croatian interchangeably.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In University they regard the languages as separate, even Montenegrin. In schools the languages are taught separately; you have Serbian classes and you have Croatian classes. And I'm assuming the government treats them as separate seeing as there is a government program (Victorian School of Languages) that funds classes in various languages, I attended a Bosnian class, and I friend of mine went to a Serbian class. Some places (non-governmental institutions) will have classes in one of the languages, and equate it to Serbo-Croatian; so they'll offer Croatian, for example, but call it both Croatian and Serbo-Croatian interchangeably.

lol, that's sounds potentially confusing, and silly. But w/e

At UCLA and UC Berkley (and the rest of california universities) it is titled "Serbian/Croatian", and it is one language. But Serbo-Croatian is commonly referred to in all institutions (translation companies etc).

Anonymous

It is utterly confusing to even the educated class of americans. They won't get into debates about it but prefer to call it serbocroatian, as it is the most neutral name they know. In a business setting where they prefer not to offend anyone, they have no idea what to call it, as they don't know the difference between the ex-yugoslavs.

Can anyone comment on eastern european countries take on this classification issue?

Anonymous

I have red someplace that a motion is going in the EU to name all the Serbo-Croatian languages as  simply "Yugoslavian".

Anonymous

I didn't know they still classified serbocroatian as a language in American acedamia. I go to book stores all the time and normally the only translation books I see are specifically Croatian to English. I seen a few Serbian and serbocroatian ones but nothing for Bosnian or Montenegrin.

Also, calling it yugoslavian is misleading because Slovene , Macedonian , and even Bulgarian can also be considered south Slavic

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I didn't know they still classified serbocroatian as a language in American acedamia. I go to book stores all the time and normally the only translation books I see are specifically Croatian to English. I seen a few Serbian and serbocroatian ones but nothing for Bosnian or Montenegrin.

Also, calling it yugoslavian is misleading because Slovene , Macedonian , and even Bulgarian can also be considered south Slavic

Yugoslavian =/ South Slavic

It implies those who speak Serbo-Croatian, and sometimes Macedonians too.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yugoslavian =/ South Slavic

It implies those who speak Serbo-Croatian, and sometimes Macedonians too.

Yes, but it's stupid

Quote:
    calling it yugoslavian is misleading because Slovene,… …and even Bulgarian can also be considered south Slavic

Anonymous

Isn't Jugosloven different to Južnosloven? The former being an ethnicity, the latter being the name for a subgroup of Slavs (South Slavs).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Isn't Jugosloven different to Južnosloven? The former being an ethnicity, the latter being the name for a subgroup of Slavs (South Slavs).

Well, yes, I think it is, isn't it?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    How is Serbo-Croatian classified in other countries? I already know how it is classified in Croatia,BiH,Serbia, and Montenegro. Western academia and business mostly clasify it as a single language. Please refrain from negative opinions, I just want info.

here it is that way too and was also PC. Americans always asked me (if they were even educated enough to know about yugoslavia) knowing I was serbian, if I spoke "Serbo-Croatian"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • GOGA
  • jorgos
  • Piachu
  • kony97
  • haver25
  • CivilixXXX