• This topic has 8 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have seen that now days some churches look more like concerts with musicians singing songs with electrical instruments. What do people think of this style?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I have seen that now days some churches look more like concerts with musicians singing songs with electrical instruments. What do people think of this style?

I, personally, don't like such things. We dont have anything similar in Eastern Orthodox Church.

Church music in the Orthodox Christian Church has been seen as vital component of worship in the divine services since the foundation of Christianity. This practicce is following of the traditions established during Old Testament times. The music and styles of today are of composite origin, drawing on the artistic and technical developments of the classical age, on Jewish music, and inspired by the monophonic vocal music that evolved in the early Christian centers of Alexandria, Antioch, Ephesus, and Europe. Orthodox services are sung nearly in their entirety.
    We today see aggressive forms of music such as hardcore punk and grindcore, being used as chanting in some churches of western tradition, I see it as decadence. Somebody could argue it is transmiting message of Church to new geneartions, but i leads to alienation of more traditionalist believers. Personally, I dont have anything against such kinds of music, just I believe it is appropriate way of worship

Anonymous

concerts in churches are cool because churches have usually great acustics

Anonymous

Churches are houses of worship and should be respected as such. Using them purely for amusement is somewhat inappropriate, I think.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    concerts in churches are cool because churches have usually great acustics

And what it has to do with topic?  ??? It was about use of por and rock music in worship. Anyway, that acustics are not intended for concerts. I could understand somebody is bigot ultra-modernist, but come on, turning Chuches in music teathres is more communist approach.

Anonymous

Of course, it is disgusting and incompatible with the Church. Only members of african half-shaman sects and some protestant degenerates don't understand that.

Anonymous

I don't mind it, as long as the church agrees to the musicians playing there.

Anonymous

Well, it just shows that the Church is in the troubles if it includes modern music in the Mass and builts ugly, modern churches… like this ->

[img width=700 height=525]http://www.kamnaomsu.sk/img/kostoly/full/TNPJ%20348.JPG” />
    [img width=700 height=343]http://www.ksrtn.sk/index/vitraz.jpg” />

This has nothing to do with European tradition of Christianity, but well, it's their business… and I'm just laughing.

Anonymous

It is one of symptoms of desacralization in roman catholic church after 2nd vatican council in 1960s.
    It enforced a new liturgy where many aspects were ambiguous and undefined and some priests seen that as a room for "creative approach".

This video shows an extreme case of such approach:
    Catholic and Orthodox Liturgy Compared

Some of very conservative roman catholic bishops and priests during pontificate of John Paul II almost went to schism (lefebvrists, sedesvacantists) but Benedict XVI tried to reconcile most of them by allowing the old Tridentine liturgy, as he himself is conservative. Still the crisis in the roman catholic part of catholic church is going on and Tridentine liturgy in latin is being more widespread as counterweight to extremely desacralized postcouncil liturgy. Both are extremes and becoming more and more prevalent.

On the other hand, concerts of church singing ensembles in temples (outside liturgy) are generally no problem.

Svatoslava: what is European tradition of Christianity? There are many traditions  ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Yung Slav
  • Родни Никотин ☭
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Piachu
  • Kratos
  • 'las