• This topic has 18 voices and 46 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Three main dialects: štokavian, čakavian and kajkavian. Only 12% of Croats speak čakavian and I think it's a shame because the most of Croatian recorded history is on čakavian and it's a true croatian dialect. It used to be different, but it all changed during the Ottoman wars. Something needs to be done about this. Kajkavian takes up 31% so it isn't that much endangered. What do you think?

Anonymous

We had discussions here about those dialects but I don't think we mentioned our opinions on their future and such.
    Chakavian sounds great to me, and since it was historically major Croatian dialect I hope it will be "more promoted" in the near future. That last thing goes for the kajkavian as well.

Anonymous

We have tons of threads on this. Lots of Croats in the diaspora also speak Cakavian dialects, especially the Dalmatian immigrants here in North America that started coming as far back as over 100 years ago. Then there are also the Burgenland Croats. Personally I believe more than 12% speak Cakavian while less than 31% speak Kajkavian but that’s just my personal impression.

Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't know you already have threads on this subject. :) And those percentages are stated on wikipedia and some other sites even though it's not reliable information, but I don't know if they counted the croats outside of croatia while making those percentages.

Anonymous

Imo Čakavian ikavian would be best Cro dialect for standard Croatian + it's very interesting and unique. :D

Anonymous

I like Kajkavian most of those 3 but I think it will start to disapear and stay only in rural areas in the future. Chakavian is nice, it should really be more promoted.  :)

Anonymous

Chakavian group of dialects is nice, but it's also the least slavic. Those dialects were massively influenced by romance languages, like venetian, istriote and dalmatian, which is now extinct. Nevertheless, I agree that they should be more promoted.

Anonymous

Well you can make language purism into standarised Čakavian imo. Pull up old words from old sources, add lost Slavic words from Kajkavian, Štokavian and OCS, etc. No sweat here. I disagree bout being least Slavic. In vocabulary maybe yes but in other elements actually make Čakavian interesting for Slavists throughout the world because of many archaic Slavic linguistic elements. Or so i hear.

Anonymous

Čakavian, heh… Well don't worry about them, they are rabidly replacing what little Kajkavian element there was in Istra :)

shit

Anonymous

This is not good ofc. Bazgonija & Bezačija should out to do somtin’ bout that!

Anonymous

Well tbh in the overhelming majority of that area a hybrid of Kajkavian and čakavian is spoken, which is good, I don’t want that to get lost either. However, AFAIK in cities like Buzet young people are already making their own “pidginized” version of čakavian and štokavian (ie = gay speech) and that is ofc. bad.

In conclusion štokavians and čakavians are godless and souless enemies of Christ, and they threaten my faith. They should be cleansed from these lands ASAP by us righteous Kajkavians, by sword and fire.

Anonymous

Aha vidim. Škoda. >:( Zgleda da, rabimo bezjaško punto! Le vkup, le vkup uboga gmajna, itd.

Anonymous

Anonymous

In my opinion, Chakavski and Kajkavski should regain (again) status of languages, as they greatly differ from Shtokavian, having their own grammar and vocabulary which has more connections with western-Slavic languages =)
    If someone is interested to know more about Kajkavski, you can find text and presentations both in Kajkavski and English:

http://www.zvirek.net/Kajkavskijezik/en

Again, it's a shame the youth forget their mother tongues, as I know from personal experience to people who speak only Shtokavian (mostly born in Bosnia&Herzegowina) other two languages mean nothing, but the differences are far greater than between Dutch and German or Portuguese and Spanish (more like Castillan vs Catalan). The problem is one language (Shtokavian) is being forced too much while other two have no value, but people forget the first two are much older and have richer literature than Shtokavian. All three of them should have been equally valuable to us. :)

Anonymous

Again, it’s a shame the youth forget their mother tongues, as I know from personal experience to people who speak only Shtokavian (mostly born in Bosnia&Herzegowina) other two languages mean nothing, but the differences are far greater than between Dutch and German or Portuguese and Spanish (more like Castillan vs Catalan). The problem is one language (Shtokavian) is being forced too much while other two have no value, but people forget the first two are much older and have richer literature than Shtokavian. All three of them should have been equally valuable to us.

Completely agree with you, Torlak dialects of Serbo-Croatian also should be revived. And change the name of the language so that it can include Bosnian and Montenegrin too, not only BCS but BCSM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • ▽eurus▽
  • Drizzt
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Shnickstara89
  • LCaine