• This topic has 10 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I will post a brief list of popular Croatian first names of Slavic origin. Note that this excludes all names of christian. latin, hebrew, persian, greek  or any other non-Slavic origin although they are commonly used in Croatia and sound very Slavic. For instance Anđelko-Besides the obvious meaning "angel," this name is of Greek origin meaning "God News", "messenger." Other variations of the name Andjelko are: Angels, Angel, Angel. Or Aljoša-Aljosha is a variant of the name Alexander, which means "defender of the people." Not Slavic at all.

So let's start shall we.

Bojan

There are several different interpretations of the origin of the name of Bojan. The most common version is that Bojan name comes from the word "Boj" (war, the battle). Another version is that it comes from the Avar language of the fantastical – "rich, wealthy" or "leader, vladatelj hordes." According to the third theory, the name of Bojan is of Czech origin. Specifically, there is an old Celtic tribe called Boii.

Boban

Male Slavic name Boban was named by Bob (horsebean) plants. This name is not so popular but among the 1000 men's most common name in Croatia.

Berislav

Berislav (Berisav, Beriša) is a Slavic male name. The meaning of the name comes from the imperative of "gather, pick"(beri, brati) and the word "glory"(slava). This name was relatively popular among Croats and Serbs.

Bogdan

Bogdan is a Slavic male name that means "gift from God."(dar od Boga) It is worn by the Serbs, Croats, Romanians, Ukrainians, Czechs and Poles.

Borislav

Borislav name is relatively common among Croats and Serbs, and is composed of two words: "fight"(boriti se) and "glory."(slava)

Boris

Boris is a well known and often  used the name in various countries: Croatia, Bulgaria, Russia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus. There are several theories about  its origin. The most common  theory is that  it comes from  the Bulgarian language which can have meaning "wolf", "low" or "Snow Leopard". Another theory is that this is just a shortened version of the Slavic name Borislav.

Bosiljko

Male name basil is derived from the herb "basil"(Bosiljak). It is used mostly among the Croats and is among the 1000 most common names in Croatia.

Branimir

Branimir is also one of the old South Slavic name composed of two words, "defend"(braniti)  and "peace."(mir)

Branislav

Branislav is one of the old Slavic names and has a meaning: "defender of glory."(branitelj slave)

Branko

Name Branko has a simple meaning that comes from the root to "defend"(braniti). This is a relatively common name in our region.

Budimir

Male name Budimir has a simple meaning. It originates  from two words: "Be" and "peace."(Budi Mir)

Cvijetko

The significance of male names Cvjetko comes from the noun "flower"(cvijet). This name is  among 1000 most common names in Croatia.

Časlav

Časlav is a male name derived from two words: "honor"(čast) and "glory."(slava)  One of the few names on the letter č.

Dejan

Dejan is a Slavic male name derived from the “deja”, “dejati “which means: "do, act." It could also relate to the Latin deus meaning "God". This name is fairly popular in Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Macedonia.

Dragan

The significance of the male names of Slavic Dragan comes from the adjective "dear"(dragi-darling,dear). This name was relatively popular among Serbs and Croats.

Dalibor

Dalibor is a Slavic name used in several western and southern Slavic countries (the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia), and the meaning of this name is "distant, distant battle."(daleka borba)

Damir

The meaning of the name Damir can be derived from the name itself, then two words: "give peace."(dati mir)

Danko

Danko is a relatively common male name in Croatia and means "man  of the day".(čovjek dana)

Darko

The significance of male names Darko is obviously derived from the word "gift"(dar). Another variant of this name is Darinko, commonly used in Croatia.

Davor

Davor name comes from the Slavic mythology (the god of war). This name is relatively common among the Croats.

Domagoj

Meaning of names Domagoj "home saver" or "guardian of peace in the home." This name is quite common among the Croats.

Drago

Men carry the name Drago Croats and Serbs. Originated from the word "dear", "dear." This is a relatively common name in our region.

Dražen

Name Dražen (Draženko) has apparently meaning "dear, beloved." This name is among the top 100 male names in Croatia.

Dubravko

Dubravko is a male name derived from the word for forest (Dubrava). This is a relatively common name in Croatia. (The name of city of Dubrovnik also originates from this word)

Duje

Male name Duje is used mostly in Dalmatia, and was formed from the noun "soul."(duša)

Duško

Dusko or Dušan is male name carried by Croats and Serbs, and comes from the noun "soul."(Dušan is foremost serbian name, but we have a lot of Duškos here in Croatia)

To be continued later…:)

P.S. Don't worry I won't forget the girls. ;)

Anonymous

Nice thread, I didn't know Dejan was of Slavic origin :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Nice thread, I didn't know Dejan was of Slavic origin :)

Well as I wrote, we don't know for sure. But I am including in my list mostly names that are relative popular today. I have no doubt there are many forgotten Slavic names.

..tp continue..

Gojko

Gojko is also one of the Slavic names, and has a meaning: "corpulent", "chubby"-"gojan". (I personally think that this name is more common among Serbs.)

Goran

Goran is an old Slavic name as meaning "mountain man", "Planinac", "Gorštak"-(Gora-mountain, hill).. This is a fairly common name among the Croats and Serbs, and Macedonians.

Gordan

The name Gordan is a Slavic name that carries the meaning: "Gord", "proud."

Gradimir

Gradimir is an old Slavic name composed of two words: "building" and "peace." (peace builder).Not very common.

Hrvoje

Hrvoje name is derived from Hrvatska-Croatia and is among the 100 most popular male names in Croatia.

Igor

Igor is a Russian name derived from ancient northern peoples who lived on the present-day Scandinavia. The meaning is "warrior Inga." (I included it beacuse it is one of the most common slavic names, and we cannot reject it as foreign because Varangians were one of the founders of Slavic states)

Kazimir

Male name Kazimir (Kazo) is probably derived from two words: "to Say"(Kaži) and "peace"(mir).

Anonymous

Igor is a German name, as far as I know. And is used by Slavs.

Anonymous

I know its sligthly offtopic, but here in South Moravia used to be several Croat settled viliages (who migrated here in 16-17th centuries) by the 20th century they were mostly assimilated, and the last ones were forced to leave South moravia during communist rule. However typical Croat surnames which ends with -ic/-čic (like Grbavčic, Vlašic etc.) are quite widespread here

Anonymous

Damn, why couldn't he have been banned after he finished this thread ;D

Anonymous

Pentaz can't you invite him back to continue his list? ;D

Anonymous

Is Zlatko a croat name?

Anonymous

It's a South Slavic name.

Anonymous

Zlatko is Croatian name, but Zlatan is Bosnian…

Anonymous

I enjoyed this… What is Vikica?

Anonymous

@Vickie Bolden Vikica means little Viki (Vickie), could be nickname for Viktorija.

Anonymous

I believe Igor is from scandinavian Ingvar.

Anonymous

Igor of Kiev ruling Rus was Varangian , whose Norse name was Ingvar, as aaaa mentioned.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Shnickstara89
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Drizzt
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • LCaine