• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #345898

    Anonymous

    Okay, so I am in the process of picking a textbook to help me learn Croatian.  I have it narrowed down to 3 that seem to have the best reviews and methods.  Opinions??

    http://www.amazon.com/Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian-Textbook-Exercises/dp/0299236544/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378136914&sr=8-1&keywords=croatian+serbian#selectedObb=rbb_rbb_trigger

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0781812321/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2XA1Z5FKJRC30&coliid=I1DDPIN0LGYU2J

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400019915/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2XA1Z5FKJRC30&coliid=I2G84HASQEBCCG

    I'm leaning toward Spoken World and Beginner's Croatian, because I think the BCS one is geared more to a classroom environment, which I obviously don't have.  Anyhow, any opinions would be much appreciated.

    #422843

    Anonymous

    Go for spoken word.It includes 6 audio cds,and the best way to learn how to propperly pronounce the words is by listening to them.Grammar should come secondary,unless you want to learn how to write as well (I am assuming that the propper sentence formulations will be shown through those 6 cds).

    #422844

    Anonymous
    #422845

    Anonymous

    Thanks Shaokang & Gvarda!  6 cds does sound pretty good.  I will be purchasing it in a few weeks, so if anyone else stumbles on this and has an opinion, post or pm :)

    #422846

    Anonymous

    Can I ask which you ended up buying and how you feel about it?  I have the first one you listed.  And the second I have for Serbian. Both are okay… depends on your learning style, though. 

    #422847

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Can I ask which you ended up buying and how you feel about it?  I have the first one you listed.  And the second I have for Serbian. Both are okay… depends on your learning style, though. 

    I never have yet! I can't decide, and I'm still not sure these books are the best method.  I'm starting to think that, even though it is less structured, it might be better if I could find something more extensive, but similar to Pimsleur's Croatian course.  It's all audio, so it focuses heavily on making you comfortable speaking.  I'm really, really shy, so my biggest hurdle is always going to be actually using what I know, not organizing it like I learn to do in books. 

    Still not sure…baaah.

    #422848

    Anonymous

    I recently got Pimsleur.  I generally shy away from audio programs because of my auditory processing disorder. I get frustrated easily and it makes me want to give up.  HOWEVER… Pimsleur I actually manage through. Spoken by native speakers so you're hearing proper pronunciation, not a British bloke attempting to speak. It still frustrates me, but not at bad. And it is helpful.  I am more comfortable with books, though, but it's because of the APD, as I've always learned better with looking at something or writing it out. 

    As an EFL teacher, I can tell you that you'll learn best when you combine all three – reading, listening/speaking, writing.  You need all three to solidify it in the brain and use it properly. 

    Quote:
    I never have yet! I can't decide, and I'm still not sure these books are the best method.  I'm starting to think that, even though it is less structured, it might be better if I could find something more extensive, but similar to Pimsleur's Croatian course.  It's all audio, so it focuses heavily on making you comfortable speaking.  I'm really, really shy, so my biggest hurdle is always going to be actually using what I know, not organizing it like I learn to do in books. 

    Still not sure…baaah.

    #422849

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    As an EFL teacher, I can tell you that you'll learn best when you combine all three – reading, listening/speaking, writing.  You need all three to solidify it in the brain and use it properly. 

    I used to feel more comfortable with books, but for me, I don't have APD, I was just avoiding what felt harder for me.  Trying to make myself stop doing that with everything :)

    Do you have any other suggestions for books or even online stuff for learning Croatian?  I have yet to see anything other than Pimsleur that I really felt I had to have.  And I've purchased so much language learning crap over the years, and most of it has really been crap, that I'm tired of throwing away money on it.

    Also-do you happen to know a place to download the Pimsleur for free?  I used to have all of it, but I lost it, and I had previously found a free download but now it's gone.  And it's sad.

    #422850

    Anonymous

    I have a few websites that would help with basics.  And if you send me a private message with your email I can help you on the Pimsleur situation. ;)

    http://learn-croatian.com/rodovi.php
    http://mylanguages.org/learn_croatian.php
    http://www.101languages.net/serbian/
    http://www.learncroatian.eu/blog
    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/croatian.htm
    http://mylanguages.org/croatian_audio.php
    http://www.foreignserviceinstitute.com/learn-croatian/
    http://ilanguages.org/croatian.php
    http://multilingualbooks.com/freelessons-serbocroatian.html

    I don't remember everything on these sites off the top of my head, but I just copied everything I knew of instantly and pasted here for you to check out. :)

    Quote:
    I used to feel more comfortable with books, but for me, I don't have APD, I was just avoiding what felt harder for me.  Trying to make myself stop doing that with everything :)

    Do you have any other suggestions for books or even online stuff for learning Croatian?  I have yet to see anything other than Pimsleur that I really felt I had to have.  And I've purchased so much language learning crap over the years, and most of it has really been crap, that I'm tired of throwing away money on it.

    Also-do you happen to know a place to download the Pimsleur for free?  I used to have all of it, but I lost it, and I had previously found a free download but now it's gone.  And it's sad.

    #422851

    Anonymous

    Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • jorgos
  • Tujev
  • slovborg
  • кошка
  • kony97
  • Nefario