• This topic has 8 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Okay.. I know in Polish they have a word for all Slavic lands. The word is "Słowiańszczyzna" and in Serbian it is "Славија/Slavija."  I've asked a couple friends on Facebook but they're not sure in their native languages.  So I'm curious… do you have a word that refers to all Slavic lands, without specific nationalities or ethnicities involved?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

I doubt there is a word in all Slavic nations which would be the same. Languages differ.

I don't know how to say it in different languages, unfortunately.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I doubt there is a word in all Slavic nations which would be the same. Languages differ.

I don't know how to say it in different languages, unfortunately.

Well that's the thing – some languages have a word for it and some languages don't.  So far I've found Polish and Serbian do.  But according to a Ukrainian friend and a Russian friend, there isn't just one word to describe that they knew of.  That's why I post here. :)

Anonymous

I don't know if we have ford for that in Slovenian as there is no need for such a word. If there is one or if there would have to be one it would probably be Slovanija (because Slavs are Slovani and -ija is often added to country names). Otherwise we would call that Slovanske dežele (=Slavic lands).

Anonymous

I don't know, may be Славия Славянщина or simply Славянская земля.

Anonymous

Belarusian: Славяншчына (Slavianščyna)
    Ukrainian : Слов'янщина (Slov'yanshchyna)

The term is used in literature mostly.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Okay.. I know in Polish they have a word for all Slavic lands. The word is "Słowiańszczyzna" and in Serbian it is "Славија/Slavija."  I've asked a couple friends on Facebook but they're not sure in their native languages.  So I'm curious… do you have a word that refers to all Slavic lands, without specific nationalities or ethnicities involved?

Thanks in advance!

Hi slavicmuse :)

There is some kind of misunderstanding connected with this word. Słowiańszczyzna (Slavdom) is a term that could mean:
    1) the territory inhabited by Slavs
    and
    2) everything associated with Slavs as language, literature, culture

When we say "słowiańszczyzna" we mean both meanings at the same time, so making equivalent language construction in other Slavic languages basing on the first meaning only does not express the full sense of this word

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't know if we have ford for that in Slovenian as there is no need for such a word. If there is one or if there would have to be one it would probably be Slovanija (because Slavs are Slovani and -ija is often added to country names). Otherwise we would call that Slovanske dežele (=Slavic lands).

interestingly for Serbs (and Macedonians) it would be

Sloveni = Slovenija or Slovenska  ("ija" suffix to me sounds more Greek and "ska" sounds more Slavic)

similarly for Croats it would be

Slaveni = Slavenija or Slavenska

Anonymous

Wouldn't Serbo-Croatian be Slovenstvo/Slavenstvo?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hi slavicmuse :)

There is some kind of misunderstanding connected with this word. Słowiańszczyzna (Slavdom) is a term that could mean:
    1) the territory inhabited by Slavs
    and
    2) everything associated with Slavs as language, literature, culture

When we say "słowiańszczyzna" we mean both meanings at the same time, so making equivalent language construction in other Slavic languages basing on the first meaning only does not express the full sense of this word

Oh, in this case the word for the language would be slovanščina (though it would be an unlogical word, as there is no common Slavic language and slovanščina would mean one language, just like slovenščina, hrvaščina or so). The term for Slavicness, Slavhood or however that may be called in English, would be slovanskost.

Quote:
    interestingly for Serbs (and Macedonians) it would be

Sloveni = Slovenija or Slovenska  ("ija" suffix to me sounds more Greek and "ska" sounds more Slavic)

Lol, that'd be a nice mix up. ;D May I ask, what would the languages (Slavic and Slovenian) be called?

Anonymous

You guys are the best!!! Thanks so much!!! <3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kony97
  • jorgos
  • Tujev
  • Fia