• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

After numerous attacks and msecurity breaches in recent years cyber security became an important issue . Only a week ago virus Petya crippled many computer systems in Ukraine and Russia.

The Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) published cybersecurity index ranking for the countries of the world.How Slavic countries are ranked ? Apart from Russia (high) from average to low.

Country / index / Global ranking

Singapore 0.921 1
    Russia 0.788 10
    Poland 0.622 33
    Czechia 0.609 35
    Belarus 0.592 39
    Croatia 0.590 41
    Bulgaria 0.579 44
    Macedonia 0.517 54
    Ukraine 0.501 58
    Montenegro 0.422 70
    Slovakia 0.362 81
    Slovenia 0.343 83
    Serbia 0.311 89
    BIH 0.116 135
    Equatorial Guinea 0 164

2017 report by ITU-D https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Cybersecurity/Documents/Global%20Cybersecurity%20Index%202017%20Report%20version%202.pdf

Anonymous

That’s really the truth. In the past 5 years or so, I haven’t saw even a single job ad for any kind of cybersecurity engineer in Serbia, and if you just take a look at stackoverflow jobs section you can almost see daily ads for hackers or cybersecurity consultants in other countries.

Anonymous

It makes wonder why Belarus is not doing as well as it coul in cyber security. IT professionals are earning the highest salaries in the country among professionals. Universities faculties that run IT courses have high cut-off score entrances for  students.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor Do universities in Belarus have B.S./M.S. program for computer security?

Anonymous

@Shaokang

I haven’t been in touch with Belarusian universities in recent yeras. When I was undegraduate a regular science course was 5 years of study. Now, it’s only 4 years . I am willing to guess security in IT will be studied in M.S. program. In the past training in security was done in industry. Some people weren’t even from IT field. Some were from applied maths, because of higher salaries in IT.
    Maybe there are short courses or subjects at undegraduate level . It looks as BSU (Belarusian State University) has such courses.

Anonymous

Trump and Putin met today in Humburg. One of the topics in their meeting was cyber-security according to Putin.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor what did you actually study if you don’t mind me asking? 

So basically Slovakia doesn’t give a crap about cyber security. Why should they though they don’t have really anything to hide :) 

Anonymous

I’m a bit surprised for Serbia. Although as Shaokang said I rarely hear talk about security here. It surprises me because the IT is flourishing here. Software is our biggest export, that’s the only education that is sure to provide a job, every year the record is broken for new IT students, mainly on my faculty, FTN, the biggest on whole of Balkans.

Anonymous

@srdceleva

So basically Slovakia doesn’t give a crap about cyber security. Why should they though they don’t have really anything to hide  

Bitch please, our cyber security is on the top of the game. Our National SECURITY Bureau (Národný bezpečnostný úrad Slovenskej republiky) used password “nbusr123” for their network for 5 years (2001 – 2006)! This password is unbreakable. :)

Anonymous

@srdceleva its about getting intel about potential unwanted activities in your country. Any country which doesn’t plan on being foreign colony, to evade potential terrorist treats and so on, should consider cybersecurity.

@Dušan Our IT programs at universities lag far behind. I would say program they teach is from late 90’s and early 2000’s.

Anonymous

@Shaokang doesn’t seem to me like that here in NS. There are bunch of young IT companies here, founded by students of FTN, FTN itself own 89 different businesses so it has to keep up. Programs on IT are changing and improving almost yearly, I don’t know what is the situation in Belgrade, but to me it seems just fine here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.