• This topic has 6 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I'm curious if Slavs, in the past, practiced any kind of body modification.
    Many ancient cultures practiced scarification, tattooing and piercing.
    Did this exist in any form amongst the Slavs?

Also, vote in the poll and tell us if you have modified your body in any way, or if you're thinking about doing so in the future!

Anonymous

Hmm for Pagan Slavs i am not sure. Except modifications in terms of specific facial/head hairstyles i think Pagans didn't.

Christian Slavs, some did…on example Croat women from Bosnia during the Ottoman invasion tattooed crosses on their bodies in order if them are kidnapped people could recognize they as Christians (and maybe save them)…and also it was done in order just to passively oppose Ottoman cultural assimilation in Bosnian lands. They could for example take them their holy cross amulets and jewelry but tattoos they couldn't.

[img width=506 height=700]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/BH_Croats,_Tattoo.jpg” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hmm for Pagan Slavs i am not sure. Except modifications in terms of specific facial/head hairstyles i think Pagans didn't.

Christian Slavs, some did…on example Croat women from Bosnia during the Ottoman invasion tattooed crosses on their bodies in order if them are kidnapped people could recognize they as Christians (and maybe save them)…and also it was done in order just to passively oppose Ottoman cultural assimilation in Bosnian lands. They could for example take them their holy cross amulets and jewelry but tattoos they couldn't.

[img width=506 height=700]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/BH_Croats,_Tattoo.jpg” />

amazing story, heard about it when I was kid on TV… Just amazing

Anonymous

really cool to know

Anonymous

Tattooing was definitely a thing in Scythia. Despite direct evidence of tattooing was found only in Central Asia, it is possible that this technique was also known in Eastern Europe. Probably the ancient Slavs didn't practice it, but some of those who later moved into territories where it was, may have adopted it…

Still, it's very unlikely.

Anonymous

I haven't heard anything about it yet. My body is not modified either.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • SinisterWidow
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • Das Rheinenfuchs
  • Shnickstara89
  • LCaine
  • m1tric