• This topic has 16 voices and 64 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

If you are wondering what I am talking about, it is about the colour [size=12pt]Red[/size]!

In Serbian the word for red is 'crveno' and it is pronounced like tsrveno. It is very similar in other Slavic languages too such as 'czerwony' in Polish, червен (cherven) in Bulgarian, červený in Slovak, червоний (chervoniy) in Ukrainian.

'Krv' in Serbian means blood. Another word similar in other Slavic languages. In Ukrainian: кров (krov), in Bulgarian: кръв (kruv), in Slovak: kruv, in Polish: krew (pronounced like krev).

Anonymous

I think these words are strictly connected and we can't say which one was the first. The same parallel is between 'żółty' (yellow), 'żółć' (bile) or 'żółtko' (yolk). :)

Anonymous

Srb crv (worm) is pure example of PS -> OCS second palatalization as it cames from PIE root *kʷr̥mis =worm
    same root gave PS čьrviti (dye using červec”), where červec is a kind of worm used as a red dye
    OCS word for red color was RUD so today in srb. we have ZORA RUDI (dawn is getting red) RUDA (ore, specially iron ore for its red color) all cognates with eng RED, and other proto germanic, from PIE *reudh meaning red. (in Lithuanian RUDA means brown)
    KRV (blood) even red color, is not cognate with red color and worms, as it came from PIE *krewh₂ (blood from wound) and is cognate with Proto Balto Slavic *krus, and greek kreas (meat), latin cruor (blood)
    Maybe Ace Ventura has something to add?

Anonymous

Another theory

Etymology – červený (red)

Panslavic; Old Czech črvený is from Proto-Slavic *čьrvenъ, which is a passive participle of *čьrviti (“dye using červec”), where červec is a kind of worm used as a red dye (compare červ (“worm”)).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Srb crv (worm) is pure example of PS -> OCS second palatalization as it cames from PIE root *kʷr̥mis =worm
    same root gave PS čьrviti (dye using červec”), where červec is a kind of worm used as a red dye
    OCS word for red color was RUD so today in srb. we have ZORA RUDI (dawn is getting red) RUDA (ore, specially iron ore for its red color) all cognates with eng RED, and other proto germanic, from PIE *reudh meaning red. (in Lithuanian RUDA means brown)
    KRV (blood) even red color, is not cognate with red color and worms, as it came from PIE *krewh₂ (blood from wound) and is cognate with Proto Balto Slavic *krus, and greek kreas (meat), latin cruor (blood)
    Maybe Ace Ventura has something to add?

You and the Ventura guy are an asset to this forum. Thanks for the informative post.

Anonymous

In Polish 'czerw' is also a worm, or rather larva, used to dye things in red colour :)

Anonymous

Funny, Slovenian has no such word for red. It is called rdeča and in the past it was called rujna. Closer to that is word for black, which is črna.

Blood is called kri.

When I saw "crv" in the title I thought it's gonna be something about worms … ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Funny, Slovenian has no such word for red. It is called rdeča and in the past it was called rujna. Closer to that is word for black, which is črna.

Blood is called kri.

When I saw "crv" in the title I thought it's gonna be something about worms … ;D

I guess it's time to revoke Slovenia's slavic status, then.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I guess it's time to revoke Slovenia's slavic status, then.

That's what you'd like to see, or? :P

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's what you'd like to see, or? :P

Obviously Slovenes have strayed from the straight and narrow, as you so clearly demonstrated. As such, what message would we be sending to future generations if we let their shenanigans continue without consequence?
    Repent and adopt "crv" as the one true and correct term for "red", or forfeit your eternal soul!

P.S:
    I was going to put "slavic soul", but that would've been a tautology.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Obviously Slovenes have strayed from the straight and narrow, as you so clearly demonstrated. As such, what message would we be sending to future generations if we let their shenanigans continue without consequence?
    Repent and adopt "crv" as the one true and correct term for "red", or forfeit your eternal soul!

P.S:
    I was going to put "slavic soul", but that would've been a tautology.

Quote:
    Nah we didn't stray. Rest of you strayed with your worm killing practices. The OCS word for red starts with R not C or Č, heresy! ;D

Indeed, you guys simply haven't discovered yet how of course you went. Lost cases, lost dual, lost nasal sounds …  :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Funny, Slovenian has no such word for red. It is called rdeča and in the past it was called rujna.

Just a little bit different: Rdeča, as it is color of rje (rust, if I correctly wrote it in slo.) So cognate with ruda, (ore) and zora "rudi". About "rujna": like in all other south slavic from OCS e.g "rujno vino" or "još ne sviće rujna zora".
    There is also small tree/bush with nice red summer flower RUJ

Anonymous

Maybe the word for [size=14pt]black[/size] in Slavic languages that usually begin as CRN or CHERN also came from worms?

The c in CRN is pronounced as ts-. Some Slavs say C and some say CH beit in Latin or Cyrillic writing. But I noticed that they remain constant for the Red and Black colours. For example, Serbs and Croats say for the colour black 'CRNO' and it stays almost the same for the colour red 'CRVENO'.

Anonymous

Worm (cherv'), Blood (krov') and Black (cherny) have different etymologies according to Vasmer's Etymological Dictionary. There's no entry for Čyrvony in Vasmer's dictionary as the dictionary is Russian  and the red colour is 'krasny' in Russian.

In Belarusian

Čerava – insides of a person; maw. The word is obsolete now.
    Čyrvony – red
    Čarviak – worm
    Červień – june

kroŭ – blood

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Worm (cherv'), Blood (krov') and Black (cherny) have different etymologies according to Vasmer's Etymological Dictionary. There's no entry for Čyrvony in Vasmer's dictionary as the dictionary is Russian  and the red colour is 'krasny' in Russian.

In Belarusian

Čerava – insides of a person; maw. The word is obsolete now.
    Čyrvony – red
    Čarviak – worm
    Červień – june

kroŭ – blood

I think Russian "krasniy" is "cognate" (as a cunning linguist would say) with beautiful.
    Another fun fact is, in literary Bulgarian it's "руйно вино" but the flower is "ружа".

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • jorgos
  • Tujev
  • kony97