• This topic has 2 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I always believed that on November 19, 1581, Ivan the Terrible became angry with his son’s pregnant wife, because of the clothes she wore, and beat her up. As a result she miscarried. Ivan’s son argued with him about this beating. In a sudden fit of rage, Ivan raised his iron-tipped staff and struck his son, resulting in a mortal blow to the head. Now, Vladimir Putin says I’m wrong.  :s

Vladimir Putin recently disputed historical accounts that the 16th-century czar Ivan the Terrible murdered his own son, suggesting that the story was concocted to slander Russia. “This has been a trend throughout our history,” Putin said, because “our vastness is feared by everyone.” https://themoscowtimes.com/news/putin-offers-revisionist-spin-on-ivan-the-terrible-58403
    http://euromaidanpress.com/2017/07/20/putin-feels-a-kinship-with-stalin-and-ivan-the-terrible-eidman-says-euromaidan-press/#arvlbdata

“Ivan the Terrible Killing His Son” (Ilya Repin, 1885)
    Image result for Ilya Repin  Ivan the Terrible is killing his son

Anonymous

I think Putin likes drugs.

Regarding Ivan the Terrible and him being supposedly badass whom everyone feared…. I’m not sure if people are aware of that he was almost taken as prisoner by prince Krzysztof Radziwiłł, who was chilling out and making some blitzkrieg on Russian territory.

Anonymous

Now, Putin has convinced Russians that Stalin was a nice man. 

An alarming reverence for Stalin

Viktoras Denisenko

Lietuvos Zinios (Lithuania)

It’s official: Russians once again adore Stalin, said Viktoras Denisenko. The Levada Center, an independent pollster, recently asked 1,600 Russians to name “the top 10 most outstanding people of all time and all nations.” Soviet dictator Josef Stalin came in first place, closely followed by Russia’s current president, Vladimir Putin. The results weren’t surprising. As soon as Putin came to power in 1999, “the semi-official rehabilitation of the dictator began.” 

Stalin became the face of the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany in World War II, which—despite massive losses on the Soviet side—is today “depicted as Russia’s greatest achievement.” Russians are encouraged to see themselves as defenders of the world against fascism, and Putin has used this rhetoric to justify his invasion of Ukraine, calling the pro-Western forces there fascists and ultranationalists. 

Stalin is equally adored for “turning an agrarian Russia into an industrial superpower” in just a generation. That he did so through ruthless purges, forced relocations, and oppression is “seen as an unfortunate historic necessity.” These depressing survey results show that the Kremlin’s relentless propaganda—repeated on talk shows, in movies, and in schoolbooks—has been “extraordinarily successful.” Post-Soviet Russians know all about Stalin’s crimes, but they have been conditioned to excuse them.

http://lzinios.lt/lzinios/Komentarai/kodel-rusija-ilgisi-stalino-/246587

Anonymous

@Karpivna, they generally believe in some bizarre version of history.

Anonymous

I think Ivan was mentally ill, maybe from mercury poisoning, which was used to treat syphilis in those days. Ivan probably suffered syphilis because he was a rapist slut who married five times.

Putin needs to read this book about Ivan.

Consider this description of Ivan’s personality found on page 377 of the book Ivan the Terrible, by Kazimierz Waliszewski (1904). Then you decide.

“During the second half of the Sovereign’s life, as to which we possess most information, his habitual expression struck the majority of witnesses as being threatening and gloomy, though he often burst into roars of laughter….

“Ivan was energetic to the point of violence, and yet timid down to outright cowardice; his pride amounted to positive madness, and his humility occasionally descended to baseness. He was intelligent, and yet capable of saying and doing the most foolish things.”

Anonymous

I’ve read somewhere he was mentally ill, but I guess it’s impossible to be 100% sure nowadays ;)

Especially when it would be considered, in which times he lived and what kind of ethics people followed – kind of different reality.

Anonymous

Look what happened to Stalin’s own sons.

Yakov Dzhugashvili

(captured by the Germans WWII)

In 1943, Stalin was offered the chance to have his son back. The Germans had been defeated at Stalingrad and their Field Marshal, Friedrich Paulus, was taken prisoner by the Soviets, their highest-ranking capture of the war. The Germans offered a swap – von Paulus for Yakov. Stalin refused, saying, ‘I will not trade a Marshal for a Lieutenant’. As harsh it may seem, Stalin’s reasoning did contain a logic – why should his son be freed when the sons of other Soviet families suffered – ‘what would other fathers say?’

On 14 April 1943, the 36-year-old Yakov died. The Germans maintained they shot him while he was trying to escape. But it is more likely that after two years of incarceration and deprivation, the news of the Katyn massacre was the final straw. Stalin had ordered the murder of 15,000 Polish officers in the woods of Katyn in May 1940.  The discovery of the mass grave in March 1943 was heavily publicised by the Germans. Yakov, who had befriended Polish inmates, was distraught by the news. ‘Look what you bastards did to these men. What kind of people are you?’ said a German officer to him. He died by throwing himself onto an electric fence.

Vasily Dzhugashvili

Vasily was frightened of no one but his father, in front of whom he was often reduced to a stammering wreck. He lived in fear of what would become of him after his father’s death believing that Stalin’s successor, whoever it may be, would ‘tear me apart’.

Sure enough, following Stalin’s death he was dismissed from the air force and arrested for ‘misappropriation of state property’ – using air force funds to finance his lavish lifestyle. He served seven years and on appealing to Stalin’s successor, Nikita Khrushchev, was released in 1960. But, within a year, he was back in prison, this time for causing a traffic accident. Ill health secured his release within a year, but he was exiled to Kazan where he cut a lonely and rejected figure. His years of hard drinking caught up with him and he died on 19 March 1962, two days short of his 41st birthday.

Anonymous

I never heard about Stalin’s sons. Thanks for posting that. As far as I know he in fact admired Ivan the Terrible. 

These sons had a very shtty father. 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.