• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

West  in:
    Czech/Slovak: západ
    Serbian/Croatian/Russian/Macedonian/Bulgarian: zapad, запад
    Ukrainian: захід (zakhid)
    Belarusian: захад (zakhad)
    Polish: zachód
    Slovenian: zahod

WEST WIND

A west wind is a wind that blows from the west, in an eastward direction. In Western tradition, it has usually been considered the mildest and most favorable of the directional winds.

In Greek mythology ZE′PHYRUS (Zephuros), the personification of the west wind and bringer of light summer breezes, is described by Hesiod (Theog. 579) as a son of Astraeus and Eos. Zephyrus and Boreas are frequently mentioned together by Homer, and both dwelt together in a palace in Thrace In Greek mythology, Boreas was the god of the north wind and bringer of cold winter air.

Storm

Polish: burza
    Slovak: búrka
    Czech: bouře
    Belarusian: бура (bura)
    Russian/Ukrainian: буря (burya)
    Serbian/Croatian: bura

Bora (wind)

The Bora (Bulgarian: бора, Croatian/Serbian: bura, Greek: μπόρα, βοράς, Italian: bora, Slovene: burja, Turkish: bora, Polish: burza) is a northern to north-eastern katabatic wind in the Adriatic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Poland, and Turkey.

The same root is found in the name of the Greek mythological figure of Boreas/Βορέας, the North Wind. Historical linguists speculate that the name may derive from a Proto-Indo-European root *gworh- meaning mountain.

Mountain in Slavic languages is Gora. In some Slavic languages the adverbs above/up is “gore” and pine forests can mean gora and the pine tree is bor.

Anonymous

No.

Anonymous

Means nothing as Latin is “eonabantur” Greek is “μπόρα” (bora) even English is “Bora”

Adding Turkish etymology is useless, as Turkish tribes were pure nomads without marine terminology, nor Turkish is PIE language.

Anonymous

That is exactly what I wanted to say. It means something in Slavic – where the sun goes down and note the area where the god Zephur was located: Thrace. It is most likely that the Greeks took the words from the Thracians who were probably Slavs.

As the for Turkish word Bora (I got that passage from Wikipedia) and they call that Western Wind the same word.

Anonymous

To those who think "no" right off the bat (to TQR): How would you know? There were definitely people living north to the Greeks with their own languages. How can it not be possible for Greeks to borrow or create words from them?

Anonymous

These people definitely weren't Slavs, so even if Greeks borrowed words from them, the words weren't Slavic.

Anonymous

I see you must be an expert on who “slavs” were and weren’t.

Anonymous

It’s common knowledge that Slavs entered the Danube plains somewhere about 6th century, and later conquered vast amounts of land. By that time Thracians were probably extinct. It is also common knowledge that the Slavs originated from around Pripyat’ & Dnieper rivers (or maybe also from Vistula basin, in any case far away from Thracia).

If you have knowledge about some breakthrough research, feel free to present them, of course using references to papers. If not, please stop posting bullshit.

Anonymous

It is common knowledge that Slavs were everywhere. It is possible that one tribe of Slavs went to join another group of Slavs but in your mind you just want to believe one part of history that starts in the year 500 and something. Europe is small and nothing was too far from each other especially areas north and south of the Danube.

Anonymous

no, its you who wants to believe this bull so much that you even take your own maybe as a certainty.

“we dont know how exactly things were so it must have been this way” LOL a great way of constructing an argument. it is a blatant fallacy and one of the most ridiculous ones.

also, balkan never disappoints with the most ridiculous and craziest “theories”  ;D

Anonymous

Sorry, I don’t know how I can react on Tikva’s posts. But I feel obliged to present mine here.

Anonymous

It’s not a common knowledge about Slavs living everywhere 1,500 years ago.  Europe is over populated with roads, maps, cars, trains and planes in modern times.  However, things were different in “small Europe” 1,500 years ago. The history of Slavs didn’t begin 1,500 years ago.Slavs migrated south from the north which is attested in chronicles. The closest living languages to Slavic are Baltic whose speakers live in the north.  Germanic languages belong to the same group with Balto-Slavic languages. Germanic speakers also live in the north.

I understand you need to prove a point to your neighbours that you are as much indigenous to the region as your southern neighbour, but please take the marginal theories from pseudo-historian about Slavs being Thracians or Illyrians elsewhere.

Anonymous

No such thing ever happen in history, only on internet forums, youtube, facebook etc.

Again, Turkish language has nothing with other Indo-European languages, no any language contacts before XIII century.

For your info “BURA” has cognates in Latin, Sanskrit, even Old Norse, so according to your folk etymologies I would not be surprised you can find some Norse or Indian God was also Slav.

Anonymous

Some responses show narrow-mindedness. I guess to them ancient Serbian finds are not Slavic, probably Germanic or Roman-Celtic…despite showing ancient Slavic symbols and designs…  ::)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • kony97
  • Piachu
  • jorgos
  • Fia