• This topic has 15 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Serbian/Croatian/Macedonian/Bulgarian: selo, село
    Ukrainian/Russian: село (selo)

Polish has the word: sioło
    but I am not sure if it is the common word.

Anonymous

if I remember it well Russians use something like derevna or derevnya. It was long ago since elementary school, I'm sure some Russian member will correct me

Anonymous

no.
    vesnice, ves, dedina, wios, valal, etc.

Anonymous

We have both 'сел`о' and 'дер`евня'. The difference is before 1917 selo obligatory had a church while derevnja usually hadn't and was smaller.
    Down in the South we have 'стан`ица' (large, originally Cossack settlement) and 'х`утор' (small settlement) instead. Stanica is unique for the South.
    We also have 'пос`ёлок' as derivative from selo.

Anonymous

There's 'sialo' (сяло) in Belarusian.

Vioska (вёска) is the main type of rural settlement in present day. The name  comes from old Slavic vieś (весь).

Sialo (сяло) is also a type of rural settlement similar to vioska. In the past 'sialo' was the main administrative rural settlement that had a church, markets, shops and local authorities.

Slabada (volia, voĺka) was a new settlement not requiring to pay taxes temporarily. After a certain period of time slabada was becoming vioska.

Akolica (аколiца) was a segregated settlement of small schlachta  fenced from all sides . The settlement had  schlachta  housing and specific  streets. The  type of settlement was common from  17 to early 20th century.

Faĺvarak (фальварак from German Vorwerk ) was a small settlement of several yards belonging to a wealthy land owner. After rural reform in 1557  the faĺvarak became the main type of feudal farming establishment.

Zascienak (засценак)  was a segregated settlement of small schlachta from one to three homesteads appearing after agricultural reform of 1557. After the reform the land was subject to division in 3 allotments  leaving parcels of land outside of the 3 allotment. The land that was left out after the division (zascienak) was leased to small  schlachta.

Chutar (хутар) was peasants' homestead farms located on the land. The chutars appeared after 1861 reform becoming widespread in late 19th and early 20th century. Chutar establishments were stopped during Soviet collectivisation.

Miastečka (мястэчка) was a town embodying features of villages and cities between 16-18centuries. The towns were trading and industrial centres. Many such towns had self-governing rights also known as Magdeburg  rights.

Pasiolak haradskoha typu (literally a village of the city type) is a modern day semi-rural settlement. The name appeared during Soviet era.

Anonymous

We use Vas or Ves (dialectical) most often both in spoken usage and wrriten. Selo does exist, however its rarely used. But placenames like Selo, Sevce, etc. do exist. Selo in Slovene is usually described as a small village.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    We use Vas or Ves (dialectical) most often both in spoken usage and wrriten. Selo does exist, however its rarely used. But placenames like Selo, Sevce, etc. do exist. Selo in Slovene is usually described as a small village.

Yes, selo isn't really a standardly correct word in Slovene though it exists in place names. It goes kind of

vas (ves) – village
    naselje – settlement
    selce, zaselek, selo itd. – smaller settlements, consisting of only a couple of houses or so

Anonymous

No – in Slovak.

The common word for it is dedina, officially obec.

Anonymous

The oldest word is – vis/ves/vish/vuis/vas/vastu (there's many variations). It was used in India and Thrace as far as I know, so the word is of proto indo european origin. 'Selo' maybe derived from 'vis' – in Russia there's village type called 'vaiselka'.

Anonymous

The word comes from PIE *woyḱos/*weyḱs, from which (beside Slavic *vьsь), come Greek oikos (home), Latin vicus, apart from other cognates.

Sioło (сёло) and its Slavic cognates come from siodło (сёдло), that is settled place, or a saddle. In Polish it's possible the name is of Eastern Slavic origin, since dl > l change usually didn't affect West Slavic languages (Czech has sedlák, from Old Czech sedlo, village. Old Polish also had siodłak, farmer)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    'Selo' maybe derived from 'vis' – in Russia there's village type called 'vaiselka'.

There's no 'вайселка' in Russian, do you talk about 'выселок/выселки'?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There's no 'вайселка' in Russian, do you talk about 'выселок/выселки'?

What's the difference between vaiselka and выселки? I tought that is in singular form. I used vAIs instead of ы, because there's no alternative in the latin script.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The word comes from PIE *woyḱos/*weyḱs, from which (beside Slavic *vьsь), come Greek oikos (home), Latin vicus, apart from other cognates.

Sioło (сёло) and its Slavic cognates come from siodło (сёдло), that is settled place, or a saddle. In Polish it's possible the name is of Eastern Slavic origin, since dl > l change usually didn't affect West Slavic languages (Czech has sedlák, from Old Czech sedlo, village. Old Polish also had siodłak, farmer)

Ah, so the PIE is weyḱs; vis/ves are IE. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What's the difference between vaiselka and выселки? I tought that is in singular form. I used vAIs instead of ы, because there's no alternative in the latin script.

1. OK, it's 'выселка'. For transliteration of 'ы' to English we always use 'y'.
    2. In this word, 'вы-' is a prefix, not a root. The root is 'сел', the same as in село.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    1. OK, it's 'выселка'. For transliteration of 'ы' to English we always use 'y'.
    2. In this word, 'вы-' is a prefix, not a root. The root is 'сел', the same as in село.

What is the meaning of this вы prefix?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Piachu
  • jorgos
  • Jyxia
  • Fia
  • slovborg
  • Tujev