• This topic has 17 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I came across this thread on some Polish forum:
    Czechs – a case of unrequited love?
    And I can confirm that Poles in general like both Czechs and Slovaks.
    I'm not so sure about the dislike of those nations towards Poles. I've heard about it, but can anyone confirm?

Anonymous

Actually Czechs did similar research last year. According to this the most they like themselves, Slovaks are second, and third are… that's right, Poles.
    From other Slavs, Czechs are "somehow positive" for Bulgarians, and "neutral" to Serbs, Russians and Ukrainians. Research was only for nation(alitie)s living in Czechia, that's why there are no other Slavs.

Just btw, this research was from 2012. In 2010 were first Czechs, seconds Slovaks and third French (Poles were eighth), in 2006 were first Slovaks and second Americans and Swiss (don't know on which place were Poles that time), and in 2004 were first Slovaks, second French and third British (Poles were fifth).

Anonymous

ill begin with an inappropriate saying "when you see a polish hat, kick it because its as false as pole who wore it"  ;D

of course you cant say that czechs or slovaks would generally dislike poles. most people dont judge others by origin and dont see ethnicity as a defining factor in life. ok many do, but most decent people dont do that, it also depends on local culture and mentality.

however polish businessmen traders are a different thing. many people (especially poorer ones) are easily lured into buying cheap, low-quality imported things which severely damages local economy and ruins (literally) local businessmen. its not really possible to explain them that they maybe wouldnt be so poor if they bought from locals, and that there can be difference between bacon no.1 and bacon no.2 because of used ingredients (or "ingredients"). polish traders have built a bad reputation among many people for abusing this.
    and why are their goods much cheaper? because theyre too often made with a good lot of "ingredients". this is already notorious  ;D

Anonymous

I can honestly tell you there is an obsession on the rise by Poland and everything what is polish in Slovakia nowadays. Many of my friends are using polish greeting "cześć" instead of our own "ahoj"! Studing in Warzsaw is considering more prestigious than in Prague.

Anonymous

Slovaks generally like Poles. When Slovaks live in foreign countries, Polish and Czech communities are those they often stick to.

Where did you heard that we do not?

As for Czechs, it might be bit more complicated because of historical issues but I do not think they dislike Poles.

Anonymous

We have lots of jokes about you :D
    Most of them are beggining with "Czech, Slovak and Pole met together and…" or so, you probably know lots of jokes like that, so I don't have to repeat I guess :) Then there are jokes which just includes you as "minor characters" (Slovak and Pole are walking under some snowy hill and suddenly Slovak says: Now don't speak Czech, or avalanche will fall!), then "differences between X and Y" jokes (What's difference between E.T. and Pole working in England? E.T. can speak English and he wants to go home…) Then we have category "Polish Words", though everyone here of course knowns they actually aren't really Polish :D (Viete, ako sa povie po poľsky Akty X? Daszto neskutoczne! / Viete, ako sa povie po poľsky vodovodný kohútik? Czuratko zabudowane.)

Anonymous

I newer heard any of those jokes, but you made me laugh :D
    Which region of Slovakia are you from? Orava? :)

Anonymous

viete, ako sa povie po poľsky kohut? kasanowa kurnikowy  ;D
    viete, ako sa povie po poľsky podprsenka? podperaki na cycaki  ;D ;D

etc etc
    ;D

Anonymous

I thought that only Poles had jokes about imaginary Czech words!
    How do you call a pigeon in Czech?
    dachovy obsranec -> dachowy obsraniec in Polish = roof sh*tter

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Which region of Slovakia are you from? Orava? :)

Podpoľanie XD I'm pretty strong localpatriot ;D

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I thought that only Poles had jokes about imaginary Czech words!
    How do you call a pigeon in Czech?
    dachovy obsranec -> dachowy obsraniec in Polish = roof sh*tter

Zas natoľko poľsky vieme, nemusíš vysvetľovať ;)
    Don't you have any jokes about Slovaks? All I found is Czechs, Czechs and Czechs.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Zas natoľko poľsky vieme, nemusíš vysvetľovať ;)
    Don't you have any jokes about Slovaks? All I found is Czechs, Czechs and Czechs.

That's interesting. As far as I know there is no stereotype of funny, slightly crazy Slovaks, like in the case of Czechs. This could have something to do with the fact that the Polish-Slovak border area is not that greatly urbanised. As I think about it, there is no clear stereotype of Slovaks at all.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's interesting. As far as I know there is no stereotype of funny, slightly crazy Slovaks, like in the case of Czechs. This could have something to do with the fact that the Polish-Slovak border area is not that greatly urbanised. As I think about it, there is no clear stereotype of Slovaks at all.

Maybe each Slovak is too unique to be part of some stereotype ;D
    From what I can say, I have troubles to find "typical Slovak"even if I'm searching in native language. My personal favourite prat of Slovak stereotype" is definitly this kind of situation: call some your friend you'll come in 10 minutes. And when you'll come, there will be chips, crunchies, liquor, sandwiches and maybe some salad and sweets on the table.

Anonymous

We are fine nowadays, even despite of territorial conflicts between Czechs and Poles as well as Slovaks and Poles in the past. But those were minor in comparison to other ones. I think that our relations get even better. The only case when Czechs and Slovaks speak negatively about Poles is the one that Barov mentioned – Polish businessmen and goods. Nothing personal in it, believe me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.