• This topic has 20 voices and 44 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Repulsive or not repulsive, it would sure be interesting to see them. I wonder if there are male versions of them…I'd love to see that :P

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Repulsive or not repulsive, it would sure be interesting to see them. I wonder if there are male versions of them…I'd love to see that :P

Well, this is relatively rare concept, they were envisioned as being beautiful usually. Still, it's a part of their otherwordly nature, such beings are often very ambiguos in folklore. The owls are not what they seem, so to speak. Remember the story of Thomas Lermont.

Anonymous

I have Rusalka on FB. Btw i told this once before on other thread but anyways my father used to scare me bout Jaga Baba taking me away and eat me if i don't fall asleep. LOL i was scared in bed. ;D

Anonymous

Anonymous

Here in Silesia we have only one kind of mythical creature – the utopce. Belief in them was *really* common about half a century ago (and by common I've meant not only villagers but also city dwellers, here we have probably the only one traditional Slavic city culture  :P ). They seem to be a mix of many kinds of spirits. It's said that the angels, when thrown out of heaven, became devils when they fell on ground, and utopce when they fell to water. Anyway, it seems that our utopce are rather unique in Slavic lands, only we have their protection :)

If you would ask me directly “Do you believe in them?” – I would say “No”. But I'm still afraid of them, and I wouldn't be much shocked if I would meet one – a little green man with a soaking hut and a pipe :)

Anonymous

I don't, except Jaga baba, which happens to be my neighbor (he's a man  ;D ). I'd scare the ****** if I'd meet him in the forest alone. Well, actually he's more a Bedanec than Jaga baba… Anyway, I believe in Jaga baba but nothing else.  :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Anyway, it seems that our utopce are rather unique in Slavic lands, only we have their protection :)

A benevolent water spirit is something unusual indeed. :) Btw, is there also a belief that they originate from people who have died in the water, or it's just the name?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    A benevolent water spirit is something unusual indeed. :)

They're not benevolent per se, they only (sometimes) protect the ones who respect them. And by respect, I mean a relation like between people of different rank (like sovereign and a vassal or a nobleman and a serf), not a standard “respecting other people”. They are clearly above humans. If you angered them you're doomed. :)

They also asked riddles to passers-by, also they often asked for some favour, and the best you can do is to fulfil their request. They sometimes return the favour, sometimes not. The worst thing is to refuse, they would get really angry then – but they don't show it instantly, initially they pretend that they respect the fool's decision, only later they unleash the hell – which also extends to the family. Anyway, you should never try to cheat them – they are hundred times smarter than humans (I'm not sure here, but I think they can also read peoples' minds). Accepting any competition or duel with them is extremely risky – great majority of people lose their lives in process (usually drowning). My great-great grandfather was considered lucky, as he won such a competition (I don't remember the circumstances), he was considered utopce's “friend” (which meant they could listen to him, and sometimes answer :P ). Anyway, I'm still afraid of them (even if I don't believe in them), and I always stay cautious near ponds (especially at night).

That's why we resisted Germanisation – the Germans didn't pay respect to the spirits, while righteous Silesians did :P

Btw, is there also a belief that they originate from people who have died in the water, or it's just the name?

Probably originally yes (as in the rest of Poland). But over time the folklore evolved, and the modern utopce are rather a mix of many different creatures. The water spirit was probably the basis because here the deforestation began much earlier than in the rest of Poland, and the fish ponds (rybniki) were really common here (the ponds are the main dwellings of the spirits).

Main defence against them were figures of St. John Nepomucen usually placed near bridges. They were extremely common in Silesia. It may be remarked, that while the original saint appears to don't have a pagan connection, his name has. It's probably why the cult was so popular – he has the same name as John the Baptist and is connected with water, which can mean a late connection with Perun (long forgotten at that time, except his name – living today in a common Silesian exclamation and a swear word – “pieronie!”).

Anonymous

This is really interesting. Thank you for the detailed explanation. :)

Anonymous

I believe in the supernatural, but as far as "what," I've yet to be sure of. I think things are out there that I don't understand, but I can't say I've ever experienced anything truly supernatural. I've always that it's somewhat stupid to disregard supernatural beings, because they are "super," they are above "natural" laws. Just because we're scientifically advanced doesn't mean we should disregard them as a possibility. And………………………………it's fun to think about.

Anonymous

Yes. Some experiences don't lie. :)

Anonymous

I've never seen/feel existece any Rusalkas or other mythological creatures, but I believe that mytholocigal creature exist.
    I am the fan of nature.  I often walking in Forests or sea-shore and frequently I see many species of animals, maybe any ghost of the forest knows my respect to nature and allow me observe more things than other peoples.

Anonymous

When I was a kid I used to believe in Baba Yaga and gnomes. My house was located near the huge forest surrounded by mountains so quite often I saw strange things through the window during the night. I was scared, somehow I coudn't resist and had to peek.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    When I was a kid I used to believe in Baba Yaga and gnomes. My house was located near the huge forest surrounded by mountains so quite often I saw strange things through the window during the night. I was scared, somehow I coudn't resist and had to peek.

Really? What did you see?

Anonymous

no, I don't believe in any mythological creature, but I love reading about them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Drizzt
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • Shnickstara89
  • LCaine