• This topic has 12 voices and 30 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Since all or most of the other Slavs praise their dishes, cuisine, food and all that, I'm curious about how much people actually like and know Slovene food.

With Slovene food I mean real, authentic Slovene dishes and also food, that doesn't really originate from Slovenia, but is very common among Slovenes, so that they've taken it for theirs.

In this thread you can also put questions about Slovene cuisine, recipes, in general – everything connected with it.

Yugoslavia left a strong legacy with čevapčiči, burek and all that, but please, don't sell me those for Slovene or even better, try to avoid them them here. :)

To get an idea what I am writing about here, let's say all this and much much more:

Goveja juha z rezanci (beef soup)

Gobova juha (mushroom soup)

[img width=700 height=421]http://www.delo.si/assets/media/picture/20110123/pon.jpg?rev=1″/>
    Ajdovi žganci

[img width=700 height=464]http://www.slovenian-alps.com/si/imagelib/magnify/default/_kaj-videti/_kulinarika/Kranjska_klobasa-1.jpg”/>
    Kranjska klobasa (Kranjska sausage)

Pogača

Prekmurski bograč

Pohorski lonec

Žlikrofi

Štajerska kisla juha (Styrian sour soup)

Potica

[img width=700 height=465]http://www.pekarna-pecjak.si/sites/pecjak/files/struklji,%20orehovi.png”/>
    Štruklji

Štravbe/Flancate

Buhtlji

Kraški pršut

Savinjski želodec

Bujta repa

Jota (s kislim zeljem)

Ričet

Poljšja obara

Ofc. there's a lot more, I can't think of all. If you know any more, please, post them!

Anonymous

Štravbe/Flancate are the same as Polish faworki?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Štravbe/Flancate are the same as Polish faworki?

Hmm, I wouldn't know as I've never heard of farowki before, sorry. :-

Anonymous

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faworki

Here. It is written in Polish, there is no English translation. But if you understand Spanish, Catalon, German or Esperanto you can also visit their Wikipedia ;)

These looks similar.

Anonymous

Omg Štajerc so many foods missing honestly! :P Where are Slovene breads rlly, like koroški rženi kruh, vrtanek, cmoki, etc, etc. But still thanks for time and effort. Good work nevertheless. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faworki

Here. It is written in Polish, there is no English translation. But if you understand Spanish, Catalon, German or Esperanto you can also visit their Wikipedia ;)

These looks similar.

Luckily, I understand German very well. :)

Well, they seem to be similar, also Štravbi are eaten mostly for Carnival (Fašnk/Pust), but I think the dough is different. I must look up the recipe for Štravbi, I can't tell you this very moment …

Quote:
    Omg Štajerc so many foods missing honestly! :P Where are Slovene breads rlly, like koroški rženi kruh, vrtanek, cmoki, etc, etc. But still thanks for time and effort. Good work nevertheless. :D

You know:

Ofc. there's a lot more, I can't think of all. :) If you know any more, please, post them! :D

But thank you nevertheless! :D

Anonymous

mice and bears? sure  ;D

well its mostly common central european cuisine. except for povhi and bears

Anonymous
    Quote:
    mice and bears? sure  ;D

well its mostly common central european cuisine. except for povhi and bears

Oh, you and your polhi and bears! ::) :) Polhi are eaten mostly only in Carniola once or twice a year by a few people who go hunt them, some people don't even know that they can be eaten. And you come across bear flesh even rarer. Like you guys don't have any weird dishes?

Otherwise I asure you – Slovene cuisine is great. :D

Anonymous

So far, everyone either adores it, or has never tried it :D

I've tried some similar to Slovenian, but that's about it.  Looks good!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    So far, everyone either adores it, or has never tried it :D

I've tried some similar to Slovenian, but that's about it.  Looks good!

Hehe, so far so good. :) Could you tell us what that "similar to Slovenian" is?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Hehe, so far so good. :) Could you tell us what that "similar to Slovenian" is?

Sure :)  I can't tell how similar of course (or maybe the exact same thing, idk), but I've eaten and baked a Czech and Croatian version of potica, but I'm not sure the names…I've seen it called povitica a lot. 

Some of those stews look familiar but I have no idea about names.  I haven't had štruklji but my boyfriend doesn't cease to enjoy torturing me with pictures of what his grandma makes :(  And I might sell him to you for that kraški pršut lol if it's anywhere near as good as others I've had.

I made either…maybe a Czech or Polish version of štravbe/flancate, I found a recipe on some site with a bunch of different slavic recipes.  They were great, though mine were not nearly that pretty.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sure :)  I can't tell how similar of course (or maybe the exact same thing, idk), but I've eaten and baked a Czech and Croatian version of potica, but I'm not sure the names…I've seen it called povitica a lot. 

Some of those stews look familiar but I have no idea about names.  I haven't had štruklji but my boyfriend doesn't cease to enjoy torturing me with pictures of what his grandma makes :(  And I might sell him to you for that kraški pršut lol if it's anywhere near as good as others I've had.

I made either…maybe a Czech or Polish version of štravbe/flancate, I found a recipe on some site with a bunch of different slavic recipes.  They were great, though mine were not nearly that pretty.

If you've eaten that pther Slavic stuff that looks like potica, it's almost the same, yes. And potica comes from povitica – it got shortened during the centuries as potica is very very old.

I can't guarantee how similar štravbe are to what you ate as I haven't eaten anything different … :- They look very similar, so I gues they must also taste similar. :)

Štruklji are great as you can eat them sweet as a dessert or as a side dish to meat with some gravy or so. There are also many ways to make them, with different fillings.

I asume you've eaten mostly Italian or Spanish prosciutto? Well, kraški pršut is a bit different in taste. I prefer kraški to the Italian ones … It definetly is quite different than those German Schwarzwälder hams, if you know what I mean.

If you ever find yourselve in Cleveland, perhaps take a drive to the Slovenian National Home (Narodni dom). I'm sure the folks there will be very glad to tell you a thing or two. There're also a few shops that sells Slovene stuff. At least kranjska klobasa is available in the States. And vodka Slovenia. ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    If you've eaten that pther Slavic stuff that looks like potica, it's almost the same, yes. And potica comes from povitica – it got shortened during the centuries as potica is very very old.

I can't guarantee how similar štravbe are to what you ate as I haven't eaten anything different … :- They look very similar, so I gues they must also taste similar. :)

Štruklji are great as you can eat them sweet as a dessert or as a side dish to meat with some gravy or so. There are also many ways to make them, with different fillings.

I asume you've eaten mostly Italian or Spanish prosciutto? Well, kraški pršut is a bit different in taste. I prefer kraški to the Italian ones … It definetly is quite different than those German Schwarzwälder hams, if you know what I mean.

If you ever find yourselve in Cleveland, perhaps take a drive to the Slovenian National Home (Narodni dom). I'm sure the folks there will be very glad to tell you a thing or two. There're also a few shops that sells Slovene stuff. At least kranjska klobasa is available in the States. And vodka Slovenia. ;D

Yes, I've mostly had Italian ones.  I'm sure that one is great, though.  I had some American version, but it was kind of moist and rubbery.  I did not approve.

Thanks for the name clarification, I've wondered about that for ages!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Yes, I've mostly had Italian ones.  I'm sure that one is great, though.  I had some American version, but it was kind of moist and rubbery.  I did not approve.

Thanks for the name clarification, I've wondered about that for ages!

You're most welcome. :)

Anonymous

Kranjska kobasica. <3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jan Pat II
  • some slavic guy...
  • Fia
  • кошка
  • jorgos
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta