• This topic has 17 voices and 70 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a story about me and my older sister getting
    baptised. According to our tradition , children are baptised at young age. My father was against baptising us. He said
    we’d get baptised once we adult to decide for ourselves. My Mum
    agreed with him at first. But she could not accept the fact her
    children were not Christian. She always reminded my father. One day she took to us with some relatives (God
    mothers and God fathers ) for a trip in another city, where she
    baptised us. She hid our crosses and told us not tell anything to our
    father.  Some time later she told my father she baptised
    children preparing for a scandal. Mum says our father took it well
    when he found out.

I have a cross, a simple one, I was given during
    baptism in church. My mother bought me another cross; she says it’s an
    Orthodox cross depicting Jesus crucifixion. She also says it needs to
    be taken to Church for blessing.

Do you wear a Christian cross? If so what kind of
    cross?

Anonymous

People here are baptized early on too. I have a good friend who didn’t get baptized for similar reasons like you. Her parents left it to her to decide when, in which church and if she wants to be baptized, because she’s from mixed marriage (Lutheran/Orthodox, same as me). I do not wear a cross, but there significant amount of people in Serbia that do.
    it’s usually something like this

I wore one when I was like 9-10, my maternal grandmother bought a blessed wooden cross (same shape as one in the picture) in a semi-famous Serbian orthodox monastery for me and I was a strong believer at the time, but I was raised as a Lutheran, not an Orthodox, so I didn’t normally wore anything like that.

Anonymous

I don’t wear cross regularly. My parent wants me to wear it all the
    time. The cross I was given for a present look as one your picture with
    prominent figure of Jesus Christ.

Anonymous

@Sviatogor well, are you a believer at all?

Anonymous

@Dušan

There was a time I learned  about Bible. I attended  gatherings where Bible was discussed. My mother’s parents are religious would pray before taking a meal. They ask me and their other grandsons at table. I don’t consider myself a believer. Not a strong believer.

Anonymous

I remember back in high school we could choose between the two subjects: “citizen’s education” or “religion science” (I’m literally translating here because both of those titles were ridiculous). I picked “religion science” only because there was no testing and you could sleep on classes and save energy for more important subjects smiley

I was baptized as a baby but I don’t think I ever got a cross. I don’t have opinion on some issues of religion(such as if there is God, if there is more then one God, is there heaven and/or hell, has anyone ever experienced all of the aforementioned phenomenas on another level…), but the way I see it organized religions are made for two reason:
    a) to control mentally fragile people more easily with punishment – reward models
    b) in (mostly) earlier times to include yet another tax to the people
    c) to give excuse for raising and army and send people to work
    So in general, organized religions are evil and I think its pretty self-answering whether I wear a cross or not smile 

Anonymous

@Shaokang I picked religion as a subject in elementary school, for 8 years I had one class a weak, studying the bible, most of them in the church, since we were minority  and there was so few of us to make a functional schedule for us. In Gymnasium I picked citizen’s education for the same reason you picked religion, except you didn’t have to even attend it, I was on maybe 8 classes total. I agree with you in global sense about function of organized religion, but as we become more secularized as societies it goes back to it’s original functions, hope, denying death and excuse for mistakes. I was mostly taught about hope, goodness and love, I don’t think I was once threatened with hell or something similar religious people do. I’m not a believer now, those classes definitely had influenced me, but mostly not in a bad way.

Anonymous

@Dušan I had 3 different religion science teachers in 4 years of high school. To explain how ridiculous it was we went in church just two or three times in 4 years. Our first teacher was one very positive man – he is priest now, but he had lower ranks back then, 2nd guy was philosopher and he had also very optimistic view on everything, I even listened to his lectures few times. The last guy was some church person too – he was explaining religion in very medieval way, he was very tiring, and he insisted on prize/punishment values, very different approach then the other two and we were calling him mister Gospel :)

Anonymous

@Shaokang I had one teacher for 8 years, a female priest, good, loving, optimistic person. But in Gymnasium I had psychology teacher, principal, music history teacher/librarian who were extremely religious. I like what people in Bosnia have done when it comes to religion in school, they have a subject called Culture of Religions, where they philosophically study different religions and compare, at least that how I understood. IMO that’s only way religion should be in school, taught as a cultural phenomenon by philosophers.

Anonymous

There’s no subject about religion in Belarusian schools. Although, if the subject should be included as an elective in school program is discussed every now and again. In such subject there won’t be exams. Just attendance.

Anonymous

My car

Anonymous

@Shaokang
    Organized religion is what made organized society – AKA civilization possible.
    If not for religion, society would have to be held together through violence alone, which is not an optimal solution.
    Dismantling society altogether, which is what the anarchists want is not an option either. It’s no less a pipe dream than communism, so grow up and accept your responsibilities ;)

Anonymous

In the
    past religion played an important role in shaping ethnic identity. In
    the Balkans an Orthodox family changing to Roman Catholic religion
    would change its ethnic identity eventually Similarly in Belarus if a
    family changed religion to Roman Catholic the family would begin
    identifying as Polish at some point despite continue speaking
    Belarusian being ethnographically Belarusian.

In
    Lithuania religion was played a central role in national awakening
    during late 19th century. In eastern Latvia Catholicism helped
    Latgalians from cultural assimilation by Orthodox Slavs. Judaism
    helped Jews to keep their identity for thousands of years. And so on.

Anonymous

I used to but I’m not particularly religious anymore.

Anonymous

@aaaaa If one society needs imaginary friend to tell them that killing, stealing, raping etc. is wrong, that’s already pretty bad. Religion is exactly opposite of accepting responsibilities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

5 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lyutenitsa™
  • MahNibbah
  • m1tric
  • Shnickstara89
  • kony97