• This topic has 14 voices and 71 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Domains of the Ancient Slovaks until the 10th century A.D. (maps)

Slavonic Migration (from 4th to 6th century A.D.) by official history

Samo’s Kingdom (623-659 A.D.)

Pribina’s Domain (?783-861 A.D.)

Great Moravian (Megale Morabia) or Great Slovakian (Regnum Slavonicae, Slovenskaja zemľa) Kingdom (811-907 A.D.)
    King Svätopluk l., the greatest ruler in Slovak history

brown colour – the core of the kingdom
    yellow colour – conquered territories

Source: http://www.consultsas.com/historica/index.html

Anonymous

Interesting maps. Were this tribes indeed called Slovak tribes in those times (or some sort of close equivalent)?

Anonymous

This is how English language differentiates us from the other tribes around, like e.g. Bohemian tribes (no one has any problem with the name Bohemian etc). If you say Sloveni which is the proven name of Slovaks from 9th till 15th century, English speakers would mistake them for modern Slovenians. If you say Slavs, then what Slavs? In Russia? In the Balkans? But if you say Ancient Slovaks, it’s clear to everyone they are ancient ancestors of modern Slovaks. Names of tribes are unknown.

Anonymous

Great post… I love ancient maps !

Anonymous

Meyer’s historical atlas from 1845 as an educational material for schools in the Kingdom of Hungary shows lands and ethnics from the 5th till 10th century. Slowaken (Slovaks) and Great Moravian empire are visibly marked.

Anonymous

The Principality of Nitra (predecessor of Slovakia) in formation of new Hungarian state in the 10./11. century :

Nitrianské kniežatstvo – Principality of Nitra (under Poland for a while, till 1029)
    Biharsko – (historical) Bihor
    Sedmohradsko – Transylvania
    Slavónsko – Slavonia
    Kyjevská Rus – Kyievan Rus
    Chorvátsko – Croatia
    Bulharsko – Bulgaria
    Valasi – Vlachs (Romanians)
    Nemecké štáty – German states
    Český štát – Czech state
    Poľsko – Poland

Anonymous

Swaty you are quite big on the maps showing greater Slovakia I see. Don't be ashamed it's just another Slavic trait we all share, but that part of Slavdom is dominated by Serbs since 1810 xD

Anonymous

Can you say something that is not off topic?  ::)

Anonymous

Can you say something that is not off topic?  ::)

When will I finally see your pic my redheaded Slovak friend?

Anonymous

Slovak (Slovák) just like Pole (Poliak) is later development of original names “Slovenin” and “Polianin” (correct me if I got Polish one wrong). Slavic languages went through some linguistic changes when certain vovels were replaced by others. It happened between 10th and 13th centuries I think when original common Slavic split in to different branches.

In case of Slovaks only masculine form of name changed. Feminine and adjective remained original:

Original: Slovenin (masculine singular), Slovene (plural)
    Modern: Slovák (masculine singular), Slováci (plural), but: Slovenka (feminine singular), Slovenský (adjective), Slovensko (country).

For comparison Slovenians: Slovenec (masculine singular), Slovenci (plural), Slovenka (feminine), Slovenskí (adjective), Slovenija (country).

Slavs from and around Panonia (Moravia, Slovakia, present day Hungary and parts of Austria, Slovenia, Slavonia in Croatia and one Slavic tribe from around Novgorod in Russia)  are called in contemporary sources “Slovene”. These might have been originally single tribe or tribal union which was split by invasion of Hungarians and evolved in to modern Slovaks, Slovenes and Moravians. Rest was assimilated by Hungarians, Croats and Austrians.

There is some controversy here in Slovakia of how to call our ancestors in 8-10th ct. In historical sources they are refereed as either “Slovene” or “Moravians” (after unification of principality of Moravia and Nitra). As I said name Slovák is direct development of Slovenin. So in my opinion historically correct word is “Slovene”. However if you want to differentiate ancestors of Slovaks from say Moravians, you can call them “Old Slovaks” (similar to “Old Magyars” …ancestors of modern Hungarinas).

Anonymous

People, and by people I mean Czechs and Hungarians, have for some reason problems with "Old Slovaks". There are "Old Czechs", that time called Behemi, Ancient Greeks called "Old Hungarians" Turkoi, translation Turks. Sloveni only changed end of word, and Slovenka/slovenský/Slovensko even stayed. But try to say to them "Old Slovaks" or "Ancient Slovaks". Czech will probably start to laugh and Hungarian will offend.

Anonymous

These are interesting maps that make me want to read more about Slovak history.
    Now, just tell me Svatoslava, you arent planning to use the maps as your plan to build a Greater Slovak Reich are you?  ;D

Anonymous

I dont see any reason why me as a czech should laugh.

Anonymous

Because Czech will break his knee and he will start to laugh ;D Czechs have those rare ability to take everything with humour, doesn’t matter if it’s serious thing or historical fact

Anonymous

I never heard of “Old Czechs” being called Behemi. There was a celtic tribe named Boii, which gave the name to a Roman region, as the land of the Boii, namely Bohemia (from Boiheim). Slovenes as far as I know descend from the Slavic tribe of Carantanians, and minor tribes in their vicinity, at least that is the name they were called in our medieval charters, as well as the Primary Chronicle. Hungarians as well as its most prominents tribe, the Magyars, are a turanic folk, meaning that they are Turkic same as the Turks, the only difference is that the Hungarians today consist mostly of assimilated Europeans, rather than Asians as other Turkic people do.

Slovaks however descend from the Slavic tribes that lived in the principality of Nitra as well as later on, in the Moravian Kingdom. Are they the descendents of the Moravians mentioned in the Primary Chronicle, or a different Slavic tribe, or a mixture of them, is as far as I know under dispute. However it is plausible that Slovenes as well as Slovaks, identified with the meta-ethnicity Slavs (Sloveni) because they were under a long period of foreign dominance, before their Slavic tribes developed an ethnical identity tied to the rulling class, or rather unable to develop one since their rulers were foreign, and not their own. Meaning that in the time of the national revival, their identity was simply as Slavs, rather than to the Slavic tribes they have descended from.

This is my opinion on the subject, I hope it doesn’t insult anyone. If it does, I apologise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Nefario
  • kony97
  • Lucifer Morningstar