• This topic has 16 voices and 32 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

At the request of the president of Macedonia, the EU Ambassador in Skopje apologised yesterday (19 November) for having called the majority of the country’s population “Slavs”, a development that could harm efforts to find a solution to Macedonia’s name dispute with Greece.

EU Ambassador Aivo Orav made a statement in an attempt to calm accusations that the EU was denying Macedonians the right of self-determination. President Gjorge Ivanov asked the EU envoy to apologise, local media reported.

Orav spoke last Thursday to the European Parliament's foreign relations committee in Brussels, using the term “Slav Macedonians” to describe the majority of the country’s population.

Slavophone Macedonians are 64% of the population, followed by ethnic Albanians (25%), Turks (3%) and Roma (1.9%) also present.

While accepting that they speak a Slavic language, Macedonians consider themselves descendents of Alexander the Great. Such a reading of history raises eyebrows in Athens (see background).

A Macedonian official told EurActiv that speaking a Slavic language did not imply being of Slavic ethnicity. He compared Macedonia with Spanish-speaking Latin America, where the population could not be called “Spanish”. 

http://www.euractiv.com/enlargement/eu-envoy-apologises-having-calle-news-516138

Anonymous

The general attitude of Macedonians:

100 % makedonija. We are not slavs.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The general attitude of Macedonians:

100 % makedonija. We are not slavs.

XD

Anonymous

what an idiot!

he had just to google and then to answer that there is not even one scholar who calls fyromians non slavs.

Anonymous

why idiot? its a diplomat, they cant (and usually dont have the need to) get involved in stupid disputes with some barbarian

Anonymous
    Quote:
    XD

You find it funny my friend…. So do I  ;D
    BUT… Many of them are really believing in that. I can't explain it, they are like children believing in anything that makes them feel important. I, for example, have herd propaganda that says all humans are Macedonians and we all come from the first human that they call: " Македон ". The want to believe they are the center of the universe.

!!!No insult is intended in this post. I am Bulgarian from Pirinska Macedonia and I love my brothers in Vardar. I am only disappointed  that they can be so naive and unreasonable.

Anonymous

Latin Americans are not Spanish but have Spanish heritage.  So they are Spanish ethnically

Anonymous

Anonymous

More people should listen to the descendants of VMRO's founders like Ivan Tatarchev whose father founded VMRO with a few other so-called Macedonians.

Why do I say that the "Macedonians" are Bulgarians!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    what an idiot!

he had just to google and then to answer that there is not even one scholar who calls fyromians non slavs.

Nice to see the EU only employs the best and brightest in its machine of government.

Anonymous

The answer is very easy :

West throws them some money to brainwash them that they are not slavs (west wants yugoslav-makedonia to have bad relations with the rest of the slavic neighbors, that is classic), and at the same time they might call them slavs or not in the relation to the Greeks in order to help increase hatred in that department as well)

WE WILL NEVER BE FREE AS LONG AS WE LET THEM CREATE WARS IN OUR REGION.

WAKE UP DAMNIT

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Nice to see the EU only employs the best and brightest in its machine of government.

ha ha ha classic Slavic humor!

Now really what the west does is this : train a nation to believe surreal BS, then tell them the truth, make them angry and direct them against anyone they choose.

West's tricks are well known.

Anonymous

There are allot of Greeks and bulgarian who hate Macedonian here. Wolves in sheep clothing . Us Macedonians are used to it. Give it your best shots . We are here and we will always be here.

United Macedonia

Anonymous

Will someone stop this obvious troll from trolling?

Anonymous

The problem with Orav's report was not in his use of the term "Slav", but in the way he used it. He used the term "Slav-Macedonian" when referring to the ethnicity of the Macedonians, in opposition to Albanians who he called simply "ethnic Albanians".

Being Slav can not be an ethnicity or nationality. It might be meta-ethnicity, language, culture or people group, but not an ethnicity. I bet similar responses will emerge if someone uses the term "Slav-Serbian", or "Slav-Bulgarian", or imagine "Slav-Slovak". :)

The cases of denial of any Slavic heritage by some modern Macedonians are just answers to the foreign propaganda.

Anyway, I think his stance is rather pro-Albanian.

Here's a slightly comical view of the situation:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • кошка
  • Nefario
  • Tujev
  • Piachu
  • Glockamole
  • Nexius