• This topic has 20 voices and 96 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thanks for this info! ;) Anyway please tell me how different is Novgorodian from others? I mean differences in accent, words, etc.

Povhec, Novgorodian dialect was largley assimilated in standard Russian, I allready read articles from wikipedia before posting here. :)

Novgorodian dialects were spoken in Novgorodian and St. Petersburg gubernatories. Thoday that dialects significantly changed, but some caracheristics are saved. Most archaic are dialects of Borovich,Lyubitin, Hvoyin, Pest and Moshen region.That characteristics could be sumarized in this statments:
        Regardless of качества next consonants  ["closed e"] sometimes was pronounced as [и] i, and today that archaism is preserved in  pronouciation of certain letters.
        A between soft consonats do not change in e (грязь) -> gryazj not gryezj
        Labial consonants on end of the word are usually hard ([сем], [голуп], [любоф])
        Affricats in majority of speaches were differently pronounced, usualy like hard ([мисец], [чыстой])
        Ending -ого is pronounced as  [в] (доброво, dobrovo)
        Genitive abd dative forms in plural of nouns and and pronouns are same (по своим ногам, шёл своим ногам).
    Ilymene Slovene are not extinct group it is tribe where Rus' started. :) There were two forms of our common name. Slavs in Serbian are Словени, in Ukrainian Словяни, in Macedonian it is also Словени.Proto-Slavic disintegrated in middle of 7th century, in end of 9th Slavic languages were still mutualy inetligable.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thanks for this info! ;) Anyway please tell me how different is Novgorodian from others? I mean differences in accent, words, etc.

The dialects in different regions of Russia have been converging to the standard. The dialect in the city of Veliky Novgorod wouldn’t be much different from Pskov and St Petersburg. The dialect in villages has been preserved better.

I don’t know much about the dialect of Veliky Novgorod oblast’, so I searched and I found a lengthy discussion on this subject on Veliky Novgorod forum. http://forumnov.com/index.php?showtopic=214047
    People on the forum think their dialect is similar to dialects of other major cities but outsiders claim that they can hear the difference. How the dialect in Veliky Novgorod is different nobody is quite sure. Sometime you can hear other people speak differently but you are not quite sure how it is different.
    Some suggested that  in Veliky Novgorod people talk fast while prolonging some consonants. Whatever that can mean. ) There are some examples of words and expressions people use. The expressions are different from the standard Russian but common to other dialects.

There is some information in wikipedia on the dialect in Veliky Novgorod. Thanks to Dalibor for translating this text.

Another interesting information I found when I researched on Lusatian Sorbs is that linguists analysed around 300 birch-barks ( used in Novgorod republic for writing) found near the city of Veliky Novgorod  suggested that the region was likely to be settled by western Slavs – Bodrichi, Polabian Serbs and other tribes. Initially, it was considered that Pskov oblast' and Veliky Novgorod oblast' (historic Novgorod republic region) was settled by Slavs from the lower reaches of Dnepr. This information was published in the regional newspaper of Veliky Novgorod oblast’ .
    http://luzicane.narod.ru/nowved3.jpg

Anonymous

I should also add that Russian dialects are not as distinct as English and Scottish or that of English speakers in London and the dialect of Geordies in  Newcastle.

Anonymous

I dont know if someone posted maps, but this is one which shows extinct Slavic tribes.
    [img height=400]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Slav-7-8-obrez.png” />

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There isn't much informations about this tribes in historical sources, for most of them we know only that they existed.

Many of them recorded during the siege of Thessaloniki in 7th century.

Milings and Ezerites are mentioned in Mesembrian chronicles, and the rest of the tribes are mentioned in Gesta St. Demetrius.
    There is fantastic book dealing with South Slavic tribes of this period in what's Greece today by Tibor Zivkovic "South Slavs under Byzantine rule 600-1025"(this was his PH.D.)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    [img height=400]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Slav-7-8-obrez.png” />

What i don't understand why maps concerning late antiquity and early medieval age never show Romanians. It makes all look like they came out of thin air.

Anonymous

Well there is Byzantine Empire on map, successor state of Roman Empire :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well there is Byzantine Empire on map, successor state of Roman Empire :)

But what about in periods when lands of Romanians weren't under Byzantines (which often weren't)?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    But what about in periods when lands of Romanians weren't under Byzantines (which often weren't)?

Ah you mean about Romanians, sorry, my mistake. I guess author supports hypotheses that modern Romanians went in Romania from Serbia and Bulgaria. Влахи would then be ancestors of them.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ah you mean about Romanians, sorry, my mistake. I guess author supports hypotheses that modern Romanians went in Romania from Serbia and Bulgaria. Влахи would then be ancestors of them.

What a……… ?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What a……… ?

According that theory, Romanized Thracians migrated from modern Western Bulgaria and Eastern Serbia in Romania. Look where Vlachs (Влахи) are located, arround modern Sofia (Средец). Mixed population.

Anonymous

Weren't Vlachs assimilated into Serbdom?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    According that theory, Romanized Thracians migrated from modern Western Bulgaria and Eastern Serbia in Romania. Look where Vlachs (Влахи) are located, arround modern Sofia (Средец). Mixed population.

Aha ok thanks for info. ;) :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Weren't Vlachs assimilated into Serbdom?

Some. But main population of Vlachs is in Romania. Walachia, one of their pricipalities. Some Vlachs assimilated in Serbs, some in Bulgarians, some in Macedonians, some in Croats. But even Vlachs in Serbia remained  Vlachs, they bear Serbian names, some even have Slave, and have some Slavic folk customs like Koleda, but they speak Vlachian language.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What i don't understand why maps concerning late antiquity and early medieval age never show Romanians. It makes all look like they came out of thin air. ;D

it doesn't show Romanians but it shows Albanians who are mentioned in XII century for the first time. how could we know that they lived in the area of modern Albania back then?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

6 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Shnickstara89
  • Drizzt
  • Petko (the pet store)
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • ▽eurus▽
  • LCaine