• This topic has 11 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #344999

    Anonymous

    Okay.. I searched the forum.

    I saw comments here and there about the fae scattered across MANY threads and posts. However, I'm curious if someone can give me some at least general beliefs and images of vila from Slavic mythology. 

    When I try to search for images I get everything back BUT vila. I get everything BUT. I actually get some scary images – even when searching using Cyrillic.  So please… can you all help me? :D

    This is for a personal research project.

    #409331

    Anonymous

    Check out jan machal.  Has a book about slavic mythology.  It's on Amazon kindle of you have primey, it's free.

    #409332

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Check out jan machal.  Has a book about slavic mythology.  It's on Amazon kindle of you have primey, it's free.

    Don't have Primey.. I'm a NOOK girl.. but do have Kindle for PC. So will look into it! Thanks hun!  Check your email, too! :D

    #409333

    Anonymous

    "In Polish mythology, the Wiła (pronounced [ˈviwa]), and in South-Slavic mythology the Vila (Serbian pronunciation: [ʋǐːla]), are believed to be female fairy-like spirits who live in the wilderness and sometimes in the clouds. They were believed to be the spirits of women who had been frivolous in their lifetimes and now floated between here and the afterlife. They sometimes appear as swans, snakes, horses, falcons, or wolves that they can shapeshift into, but usually they appear as beautiful maidens, naked or dressed in white with long flowing hair.

    It is said that if even one of their hairs is plucked, the Wila will die, or be forced to change back to her true shape. A human may gain the control of a Wila by stealing feathers from her wings. Once she gets them back, however, she will disappear. (Compare Swan maiden and Selkie.)

    The voices of the Wilas are as beautiful as the rest of them, and one who hears them loses all thoughts of food, drink or sleep, sometimes for days. Despite their feminine charms, however, the Wila are fierce warriors. The earth is said to shake when they do battle. They have healing and prophetic powers and are sometimes willing to help human beings. At other times they lure young men to dance with them, which according to their mood can be a very good or very bad thing for the man. They ride on horses or deer when they hunt with their bows and arrows and will kill any man who defies them or breaks his word. Fairy rings of deep thick grass are left where they have danced; these should never be trodden upon, as this brings bad luck.

    Offerings for Wila consist of round cakes, ribbons, fresh fruits and vegetables or flowers left at sacred trees and wells and at fairy caves."

    #409334

    Anonymous

    Think that Bulgarians called them samoval and they were the souls of unbaptized girls.  Serbia thought they were the souls of girls who angered the gods

    #409335

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    "In Polish mythology, the Wiła (pronounced [ˈviwa]), and in South-Slavic mythology the Vila (Serbian pronunciation: [ʋǐːla]), are believed to be female fairy-like spirits who live in the wilderness and sometimes in the clouds. They were believed to be the spirits of women who had been frivolous in their lifetimes and now floated between here and the afterlife. They sometimes appear as swans, snakes, horses, falcons, or wolves that they can shapeshift into, but usually they appear as beautiful maidens, naked or dressed in white with long flowing hair.

    It is said that if even one of their hairs is plucked, the Wila will die, or be forced to change back to her true shape. A human may gain the control of a Wila by stealing feathers from her wings. Once she gets them back, however, she will disappear. (Compare Swan maiden and Selkie.)

    The voices of the Wilas are as beautiful as the rest of them, and one who hears them loses all thoughts of food, drink or sleep, sometimes for days. Despite their feminine charms, however, the Wila are fierce warriors. The earth is said to shake when they do battle. They have healing and prophetic powers and are sometimes willing to help human beings. At other times they lure young men to dance with them, which according to their mood can be a very good or very bad thing for the man. They ride on horses or deer when they hunt with their bows and arrows and will kill any man who defies them or breaks his word. Fairy rings of deep thick grass are left where they have danced; these should never be trodden upon, as this brings bad luck.

    Offerings for Wila consist of round cakes, ribbons, fresh fruits and vegetables or flowers left at sacred trees and wells and at fairy caves."

    Do you know which trees were sacred? Or just sacred trees to Slavs in general? What did one consider a fairy cave? And sacred wells?

    Quote:

    Think that Bulgarians called them samoval and they were the souls of unbaptized girls.  Serbia thought they were the souls of girls who angered the gods

    I've only read what Ingva posted about the women being frivolous for Serbian beliefs… but I'm kind of ignorant to Slavic beliefs on the fae sooo…

    #409336

    Anonymous

    As I remember , oak and linden were the most sacred trees for the old Slavs.
    I  have no answer about the fairy caves .  :-

    Also on wikipedia I found :
    "Named vilas in the Serbian mythology are: Andresila, Andjelija, Angelina, Djurdja, Janja, Janjojka, Jelka, Jerina, Jerisavlja, Jovanka, Katarina, Kosa, Mandalina, Nadanojla and Ravijojla.
    Ravijojla is the best known of them,connected to Prince Marko, while Jerisavlja is considered to be their leader."

    (My grandma is called Jelka and hir sister is Janja xD )

    #409337

    Anonymous

    In Croatian beliefs the 'vila' is very important. While inspired by faeries of traditional myth 'Vila' takes on a far deeper meaning and is always attributed to females that show strength , honor , attractiveness, and vibrant spirit. There are Cro songs with 'Vila' in their title and you will get a plethora of music ranging from traditional folk to modern pop.  ;D

    #409338

    Anonymous

    Supposedly they enchanted men with their singing

    #409339

    Anonymous
    #409340

    Anonymous

    I wish I have vila far away from city, and a large yard  ;D

    #409341

    Anonymous

    I asked my mum, she just told me some stories that the old ladies in her village used to tell her and the other children.

    They were described as the most beautiful things you'd ever see.
    Sometimes they were said to look like little girls, other times women, but not the size of human women. They were very small. (They often changed their minds on how they looked)

    At night time, they would bathe in the river, and sing while doing so. They are peaceful creatures, and usually won't harm humans.
    (there is some variation to this; Some stories depict them as violent, maybe even evil creatures, that are beautiful, but will harm humans.
    Sometimes, when a human gets lost in the forest, they will make a circle around him, and dance and sing. (kolo)

    In most stories, they would lead a human back to their village. In some, they would kill and even eat them.
    That's really all I know ^_^ Hope it was helpful.

    #409342

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Think that Bulgarians called them samoval and they were the souls of unbaptized girls.  Serbia thought they were the souls of girls who angered the gods

    "Samoval" sounds too close to "samosval" (dump truck) or "senoval" (hay shed).
    it's "samovilla" also just "villa" and "samodiva". And they're like forest/lake whatever spirits. All female and wearing only white shirts (ahem :)) They dance at midnight (or sometimes mid-day), abduct men. If you're interested I might try to find additional information.

    #409343

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    "Samoval" sounds too close to "samosval" (dump truck) or "senoval" (hay shed).
    it's "samovilla" also just "villa" and "samodiva". And they're like forest/lake whatever spirits. All female and wearing only white shirts (ahem :)) They dance at midnight (or sometimes mid-day), abduct men. If you're interested I might try to find additional information.

    Definitely interested! Thanks!

    Quote:
    I asked my mum, she just told me some stories that the old ladies in her village used to tell her and the other children.

    They were described as the most beautiful things you'd ever see.
    Sometimes they were said to look like little girls, other times women, but not the size of human women. They were very small. (They often changed their minds on how they looked)

    At night time, they would bathe in the river, and sing while doing so. They are peaceful creatures, and usually won't harm humans.
    (there is some variation to this; Some stories depict them as violent, maybe even evil creatures, that are beautiful, but will harm humans.
    Sometimes, when a human gets lost in the forest, they will make a circle around him, and dance and sing. (kolo)

    In most stories, they would lead a human back to their village. In some, they would kill and even eat them.
    That's really all I know ^_^ Hope it was helpful.

    Totally jealous of your grandma being raised with such stories. *le sigh* I wonder what was considered "small size" for vila. Are we just talking a petite girl-like stature or something like a dwarf or midget?

    I wonder what causes the variations of good and evil with the stories of vila. 

    Quote:
    Supposedly they enchanted men with their singing

    Much like sirens at sea…. Hrm….

    Quote:
    In Croatian beliefs the 'vila' is very important. While inspired by faeries of traditional myth 'Vila' takes on a far deeper meaning and is always attributed to females that show strength , honor , attractiveness, and vibrant spirit. There are Cro songs with 'Vila' in their title and you will get a plethora of music ranging from traditional folk to modern pop.  ;D

    Can you explain this far deeper meaning about them? How are they important in Croatia? And thanks for the songs!!!!!!!

    Does anyone have images of how vile are depicted in Slavic mythology?

    #409344

    Anonymous
    Quote:
    Definitely interested! Thanks!

    Totally jealous of your grandma being raised with such stories. *le sigh* I wonder what was considered "small size" for vila. Are we just talking a petite girl-like stature or something like a dwarf or midget?

    I wonder what causes the variations of good and evil with the stories of vila. 

    Haha, so am I!
    I need to talk to my grandma about this kind of stuff, my mum was never really interested :P
    About the size, I honestly have no idea. I'm thinking a bit smaller than a girl, but the same proportions as an average woman.
    Now that I think about it, it's actually really creepy! If I saw a group of them singing, I would run away as fast as I could.

    The variations are there, I'm guessing, because the stories could have been used to keep children closer to the village, and not really deep in the forest. Although this is probably not the case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.