• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Does any one know anything about the surname Kantardzic (anyway can this topic be deleted after i find an answer i like, i just dont feel confortable having my surname on the net.) Oh! i almost forgot my dad is from Derventa.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    (anyway can this topic be deleted after i find an answer i like, i just dont feel confortable having my surname on the net.)

Yes!

Anonymous

Ok delete this thread looks like nobody knows anything about my surname.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ok delete this thread looks like nobody knows anything about my surname.

Why not wait a bit mate you can't expect it will go quikly. :D

Anonymous

Ok ill give it a week.

Anonymous

I believe Kantardzic is derived from kantar – an archaic device used for measuring weight. It is also used as a weight unit somewhere.

The suggested etymology of kantar is from Latin centenarium – a weight unit of hundred pounds (centum mean hundred). I couldn't find any Slavic etymology, but some forum members might figure out something.

Kantardzija would mean a kantar-maker and that was probably the profession of some of your ancestors. Or maybe, they were to critical on many issues, since the indirect meaning of "measuring with kantar" is "giving critics".

[img width=367 height=700]http://static.kupindoslike.com/kantar-do-10-kg_slika_O_3250105.jpg” />

Anonymous

Thanks alot :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.