• This topic has 4 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So I'm making a family tree.
    I know who my Navrndeda was, (paternal lineage) but I can't find any information about anyone older than him.
    I know he was most likely born in the land we have in the Croatian (Austro-Hungarian) (Serbian) Military frontier, or Srpska Krajina, some time around 1850, and he died soon after the first world war, I think.
    How would I get more information?
    Would there be any sort of records about his family, perhaps? Maybe even when they migrated to Croatia. Or what that kind of thing not recorded?
    I do have some interesting stories about him, like how he stabbed his own son with a knife and almost killed him when fighting over the land and which brother would get it.

The actual reason I made this was to ask you guys about a name; Vasilj. Which was the name of my Navrndeda, and the name of one of his wives, Vasilija, which I think is just a female verson of the name. What does it mean? What are the origins? Or the root word, whatever.
    Any information will be helpful and appreciated, thank you!

Anonymous

Vasilj and Vasilija both come from Greek (Vassilios), it means kingdom in Greek. About finding records, ancestry.com is the easiest way if you're willing to pay money.

Anonymous

If you can manage finding anything of possible relatives on ancestry.com, let me know. I have an account and look at the documents if you send me the links for them. I can't promise anything, but ancestry.com is a great place to start… actually familysearch.org is. It houses document banks from all over also… and those links are easier to send if you find a possible match.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    If you can manage finding anything of possible relatives on ancestry.com, let me know. I have an account and look at the documents if you send me the links for them. I can't promise anything, but ancestry.com is a great place to start… actually familysearch.org is. It houses document banks from all over also… and those links are easier to send if you find a possible match.

I thought that only works for American families and ancestors.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I thought that only works for American families and ancestors.

Nope. There are documents from all over the world there. Some are digitalized so they can be viewed online if you have access.  The rest are generally on microfiche rolls with LDS.  I'm trying to find out if the LDS church here in Belgrade has the equipment for them and can get a copy or if I'm going to have to beg a friend to order them and look at some records that are from the villages of my great grandparents.  And they were in Western Ukraine. The J*ews and the Mormons.. are crazy as both groups are have done SO MUCH to help maintain records from around the world and put them in digital format to help families do research.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Thank you!
    I'm not all too interesting in finding living relatives though, as strange as that may sound. I'm more interested in tracing my paternal lineage as far as I can.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Thank you!
    I'm not all too interesting in finding living relatives though, as strange as that may sound. I'm more interested in tracing my paternal lineage as far as I can.

Ancestry.com isn't really for finding living relatives.. it's more for finding the dead ones.  Old documents and such.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ancestry.com isn't really for finding living relatives.. it's more for finding the dead ones.  Old documents and such.

Ahh okay!
    I've made an account and tried to make a family tree on it as far back as I can, but haven't gotten around to completing it.
    I'm thinking about paying for the thing, but I'm not sure if I should. How exactly does it find relatives? Just using documents? Because my family were farmers for the most part, at least as far back as I know, would there really be any documents? :P

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Ahh okay!
    I've made an account and tried to make a family tree on it as far back as I can, but haven't gotten around to completing it.
    I'm thinking about paying for the thing, but I'm not sure if I should. How exactly does it find relatives? Just using documents? Because my family were farmers for the most part, at least as far back as I know, would there really be any documents? :P

Well it doesn't find ancestors.. you have to dig using documents.  Using familysearch.org is a great way to help you verify information. Sometimes you'll get hints from other trees of people who have possible shared relatives. I won't lie.. Slavic genealogy is one of the hardest because of all the wars and constant changes of country borders. And not all of the records for Slavic countries have been made digital. 

Do you live in Serbia?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well it doesn't find ancestors.. you have to dig using documents.  Using familysearch.org is a great way to help you verify information. Sometimes you'll get hints from other trees of people who have possible shared relatives. I won't lie.. Slavic genealogy is one of the hardest because of all the wars and constant changes of country borders. And not all of the records for Slavic countries have been made digital. 

Do you live in Serbia?

We've talked about this before :P ; I live in Australia, going to move to Serbia when I'm older.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    We've talked about this before :P ; I live in Australia, going to move to Serbia when I'm older.

That's right! Sorry! I'm forgetful at times.

Your best place to start is your family – talk to whomever and get as many names as possible. Any dates as possible. Then use familysearch.org to help you dig through documents of the names you know. And when you're searching for documents it is best to start with your grandparents at minimum.  If you know your great grandparents' names… maybe there. Anything younger, and there won't be documents because of legalities. Have to be x-amount of time before the documents can be released to the public. Generally great grandparents is the best place to start.

If you can't find anything, then we can get through that too.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    That's right! Sorry! I'm forgetful at times.

Your best place to start is your family – talk to whomever and get as many names as possible. Any dates as possible. Then use familysearch.org to help you dig through documents of the names you know. And when you're searching for documents it is best to start with your grandparents at minimum.  If you know your great grandparents' names… maybe there. Anything younger, and there won't be documents because of legalities. Have to be x-amount of time before the documents can be released to the public. Generally great grandparents is the best place to start.

If you can't find anything, then we can get through that too.

I can't seem to register on familysearch.org
    It won't let my choose "Serbian" as my ethnicity XD

I know the names of my Great, great, great grandparents :P I have talked to the oldest members in my family and gathered as much information as possible from them.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I can't seem to register on familysearch.org
    It won't let my choose "Serbian" as my ethnicity XD

I know the names of my Great, great, great grandparents :P I have talked to the oldest members in my family and gathered as much information as possible from them.

It's been so long since I've registered  – do they seriously ask your ethnicity? Goodness knows what I put if I had to answer it…  ???

And I'm jealous for the names you know. I know those kind of names on my mom's side – part of it.. but not my dad's side – the Slavic side.

And if needed, on FS.org – I'll shoot you a PM here on the board of how to get ahold of me.. if you need me to look at names and such I can try and help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.