- This topic has 2 voices and 2 replies.
- September 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm #343979
Here's some stuff about famous and important Slovenes.
– Herman Potočnik was a Slovenian space pionir who wrote a book called "The Problem of Space Travel – The Rocket Motor". In it he wrote his ideas about space traveling, rocket motors and space stations which are wery realistic and helped NASA to some degree.
– Vladimir Vauhink was a Slovene soldier in different armies. He was later a military attaché and spy. He discovered the German plan to attack Yougoslavia in ww2 and reported it to the general staff. Later in war he worked for the UK until 1944.
– Jurij Vega was a Slovene scientist and baron. He had done great work in Mathemathics. He calculated the number π to 140 decimals which was a record. He also wrote several books about maths, his most known work is "Treasury of all Logarithms".
– Friderik Pregl was a half Slovene chemist and physician who won the Nobel Prize in 1923 for his work in quantitative organic microanalysis.
– Jožef Stefan was a Carinthian Slovene physicist and mathematician. He is most known for originating a physical power law in 1879.
– Rudolf Maister was a Slovene military officer. He is famous for defending Lower Styria after ww1. Thanks to him it stayed part of Slovenia. He also fought in ww1 and in Carinthia. He became a poet after the war.
– Jacobus Gallus Carniolus a Slovene Renaissance composer. He composed over 374 motets, 20 masses and over 100 other pieces.
– France Prešeren is our greatest poet. He wrote our anthem (Zdravljica). His masterpiece is the Wreath of Sonnets (Sonetni venec) which is a crown of 15 sonnets. He is the only real Slovene Romantic poet.
– Janez Drnovšek was a Slovene politician. He was the 12th President of Yugoslavia and later the 2nd President of Slovenia but also its 2nd and 4th Prime minister.
This shall be the first taste of our people. There is more to come but I can't post everything in one post.September 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm #394979
Good thread Štajerc, rep +!. It seems Janez Vajkard Valvasor slipped through your mind He was a very important figure in Slovene history.
Since you mentioned Jacobus Carniolus I'll post his most famous composition – Jesu dulcis memoriaSeptember 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm #394980
Yes, but not only he. There are a lot of others I haven't put on here. I just had no time and I was abroad the whole week. I'll post some more soon, anyway, you can help me, if you want.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.