• This topic has 9 voices and 54 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Konstanty Ksawerowicz Rokossowski. He was a leading commander of Soviet Army defeating the Germans on Belarusian front. His Dad was a Pole from Warsaw. His Mum was Belarusian from Pinsk. He’s renowned for his planning and executing of Operation Bagration, one of the most decisive Red Army successes of the Second World War in Belarus.
    Henryk Sienkiewicz publishing Ogniem i mieczem.
    Adam Mickiewicz  was poet, dramatist, essayist, publicist, translator, professor of Slavic literature, and political activist. He was born in Navahrudak , Belarus.
    Andrzej Tadeusz Bonawentura Kościuszko  was  military engineer and a military leader who became a national hero in Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, and the United States. He was born in Brest, Belarus.
    Ignacy Domeyko is the famous scholar of Chile. UNESCO organized a series of commemorations of the 200th anniversary of his birth, he was referred to as “a citizen of the world”. He was born near Nesvizh , Belarus.
    I wonder why many famous Poles having ancestry in Belarus and Lithuania (Pilsudski, for example)

Anonymous

Rokossowski and Domeyko certainly aren’t the most famous Poles, but I understand you simply cherrypicked those who were born in present-day Belarus except Sienkiewicz and Rokossowski. I am surprised you haven’t mentioned Feliks Dzierżyński then ;) 

I wonder if you are trying to prove something.

BTW Kościuszko wasn’t born in Brest.

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

I don’t like  Dzierżyński. But he is a known personality born into a noble Polish family in Belarus. Domeyko is a famous person. Ask any Chilean. 

Anonymous

I don’t know any Chilean. And I bet most of Poles haven’t heard ab

Dzierżyński is difficult to be liked :) By the way, I heard that he had problems in school with one particular subject – Russian language. Oh, irony.

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

>BTW Kościuszko wasn’t born in Brest.

He was born near Brest on territory of present day Belarus. We have a museum of Kościuszko thereabouts.

Anonymous

For those who don’t know Feliks Dzierżyński is the founder of ‘ChK’  – the predecessor of  KGB. Soviet authorities had portraits and monuments of their leaders. KGB personnel always had  Feliks Dzierżyński portraits. He was the founder of Soviet and Russian secret police.

Anonymous

“Near” yes, not “in”. ;) But yeah, he was a cool guy. One of my favourite Polish historical figures.

There was also Stanisław Moniuszko born on Belarusian territory.

Anonymous

I looked at the district of Kościuszko birthplace. He was Belarusian – Poleshuk to be exact. There’s nothing Polish about him except education. 
    Famous Poles were born in Belarus and south-eastern Lithuania. @GaiusCoriolanus prove me wrong.

Anonymous

Tadeusz Kosciuszko is very famous in Serbia too. One of the main streets in old part of Belgrade holds his name.

Anonymous

@Kosciuszko is a national hero of Poland, Belarus, Lithuania, USA. But he was born and raised in south-western Belarus. In this district https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ivatsevichy+District,+Belarus/@52.6952536,21.0466159,6z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x472757c65e2bed1b:0x45c5f3ed8552d167!8m2!3d52.7818199!4d25.5574821

Anonymous

@Sviatogor it is you who mentioned Kościuszko in a thread which you titled “Famous POLISH personalities” but you expect me to prove you he was Polish? What do you smoke man? I have no idea why do you seek confrontation with Poles and what do you want to prove, but I am not going to argue. 

@Shaokang it’s interesting, haven’t heard about him being known in Serbia.

Anonymous

John Paul II aka Karol Józef Wojtyła, definitely one of the most influential Polish personalities in the 20th century. RIP

Anonymous

@GaiusCoriolanus

I don’t smoke anything man. The topic is about famous Poles having ancestry in Kresy. Kościuszko is a Pole of south-western Belarus.

I don’t seek confrontaion with Poles. Why I would confront Poles?  My daughter is half Pole. :)

Anonymous

@Sviatogor togor are those famous people from Belarus highly respected in Belarus?  Maybe you should’ve named the topic something along the lines of Poles from Belarus. You and @GaiusCoriolanus sound like Serbs and Croats arguing over the legacy of Nikola Tesla hahaha. 

Anonymous

@Sviatogor 

I looked at the district of Kościuszko birthplace. He was Belarusian – Poleshuk to be exact. There’s nothing Polish about him except education. 

Kościuszko is a Pole of south-western Belarus.

Make up your mind please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.