• This topic has 7 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am starting my unit about Russia and Eastern Europe.  Every year, a kid insists that the word Slav comes from slave.  I know there is also the concept that it comes from the Byzantines calling us, Slovo, of the language.  Can anyone give me their opinions or evidence from research?

Anonymous

the word slave comes from slav  :) thats the most widely accepted and most possible way.
    origin of word slav is unknown, there are lots of hypotheses, origin in slavic "slovo" (not greek) is afaik most accepted.

Anonymous

It could also came from *slava, glory (it's a cognate of *slovo, btw), but it's less probable.

The original word in Greek is Σλαβῆνοι, which could came from Slavic *slavěninъ (from *slava, word) or *slāvěninъ (from *slāvā, glory). I think the word etymology is more probable (as we have an opposite, *němecь, meaning mute – and foreigner).

The word slave probably comes from Slav. In early Slavic times, the tribes were often warring with each other for plunder, including slaves (which were later sold to the merchants and ended in the Mediterranean). I had once seen an article on the web which discussed this, but I forgot its hypotheses and location.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The word slave probably comes from Slav. In early Slavic times, the tribes were often warring with each other for plunder, including slaves (which were later sold to the merchants and ended in the Mediterranean). I had once seen an article on the web which discussed this, but I forgot its hypotheses and location.

Yep this is true sadly. In early middle ages Christians weren't allowed to be Slavs but having non-Christian Slave wasn't banned. Since Slavic ppl were most numerous and many Slavic people were among last to embrace Christianity…. goe figure. In any case Slaves sold by Slavic lords oweren't neccesarly Slavic since some were probaby foreginers conquerd by Slavs.

Anonymous

somewhere i read that prague rised to power and wealth as a slave-trading hub  :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    somewhere i read that prague rised to power and wealth as a slave-trading hub  :)

Yes me too. I was about to say that but dunno how true is this.

Anonymous

wiki (Prague):

Prague was an important seat for trading where merchants from all of Europe settled, including many Jews, as recalled in 965 by the Hispano-Jewish merchant and traveller Ibrahim ibn Ya'qub. The Old New Synagogue of 1270 still stands. Prague contained an important slave market.[14

source:
    The Cambridge Economic History of Europe: Trade and industry in the Middle Ages". Michael Moïssey Postan, Edward Miller,Cynthia Postan (1987)

however this looks like a secondary source. what was their primary source, idk.

Anonymous
    Quote:

That's why Ibrahim ibn Ya'qub (from your latter post) visited Prague – he was a merchant after all :)

BTW, he produced a first account about Poland.

Anonymous

According to Hromník the meaning of word sloveni is "those who praise hairy god" in Dravidian languages.
    He divided "sloveni" to "slo" which in past had from of "sol" which means "to praise" and "veni" which means "hairy"
    In his book u can find explanations why hairy god and who is it etc.. but I am lazy to write more.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    According to Hromník the meaning of word sloveni is "those who praise hairy god" in Dravidian languages.
    He divided "sloveni" to "slo" which in past had from of "sol" which means "to praise" and "veni" which means "hairy"
    In his book u can find explanations why hairy god and who is it etc.. but I am lazy to write more.

This theory sounds hillarious. I highly doubt this. :)

Anonymous

I was thinking that if it is from slaves,  why would Slavs keep using the word Slav?  I'm still not buying the slave origin.  What about Slavs that were independent and not victims of the slave trade?

Anonymous

hromník is one of those conspirationists  ;D ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    This theory sounds hillarious. I highly doubt this. :)

Explain, what is hilarious?

hromník is one of those conspirationists  ;D ;D

I am not in position to decide who is conspirationist ,but I think that more u know better for you so I prefer to know each theory there is than know one and think it is no doubt the only right one.

Anonymous

hromník first sets some final thesis, then gathers unrelated data, facts and speculations to fit his thesis. of course logic isnt needed. hromník and his dravidians  ;D

Anonymous

Seems like u have been workin along him for few months at least

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.