Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Do you reall think Finns were as effective against USSR as ww2 propaganda and western media potraits it?

In addition some Finnish bunkers that served as defense against USSR Troops.

[img width=700 height=462]http://s7.postimg.org/bmval395n/mannerheim003_14.jpg” />

http://tridnyadozhdya.livejournal.com/

and some Soviet propaganda posters during Finland wars

Anonymous

Imo only Simo Häyhä is some kind of highlight of Finnish resistance.

rest of Finland was pretty much easy non-focused overrun by USSR.

Anonymous

Western propgaganda, srrsly….. ? Yes i think Finns were effective. Look at statistics, look at how small nation Finns were compared to USSR. Look what indirectly Finns gave to the USSR (KP/-31). Soviet Union got its baptism of fire there. It was either stone age communism or freedom. :) In the end they lost but they managed to save themself from communists and that what it counts the most.

Its not like am gonna praise them becouse of that, i don't really like wars anyways, they tried to do what they had to do. Cost of losing some territories is minimal compared to what it could have happened.

Anonymous

I don't try to justify the warmongers which were the Soviets in this case, but Finnish politicians could easily avoid this war by exchanging some strategic territories just before the WW2, AFAIK.
    I've read that it was incredibly hard to advance in conditions of Finnish winter hence huge Soviet losses. I'm sorry for this war, anyway.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't try to justify the warmongers which were the Soviets in this case, but Finnish politicians could easily avoid this war by exchanging some strategic territories just before the WW2, AFAIK.
    I've read that it was incredibly hard to advance in conditions of Finnish winter hence huge Soviet losses. I'm sorry for this war, anyway.

What territory exchange? i haven't read about that as i always thought Finns were just German puppet-country at the time thus obviously opposed USSR.

Anonymous

Finns were in poor position. On the East they had Soviet Union – communist, who wanted to control next country – Finland. On the other side they had 3rd Reich. Nazis who also wanted to control everything. But Soviets were ones who attacked them so it is really clear and normal to me, that they had chosen Reich as their allies.

They fought with Soviets effectively – it is not a propaganda. This sniper who is presented in the topic is only one soldier – one man cannot defeat whole army. There were others, there were techniques and determination. To be honest, Finns generally had won this war, due to keeping their independence and resisting communist invasion to the Nordic countries. They lost officially, lost some territories, but they had peace and country – in contrast to Poland.

We need to remember, that Finns eventually broke their alliance with the Reich. I am almost sure that if not Soviet agression, Finns will not be so friendly to Germans. USSR attacked them, it is not fully reasonable to have an alliance with a country which attacked you.

BTW, awesome song about the Winter War:

Sabaton – Talvisota – napisy PL

Anonymous

Значение участия Финляндии во Второй мировой войне

Финляндия в годы войны проявила удивительную гибкость: несмотря на то, что это было единственное де-юре демократическое государство, которое вело войну одновременно и с демократическими странами Запада, и с коммунистическим блоком Востока, финнам удалось выйти из войны всё же с относительно небольшими потерями. Эта страна-участница всё-таки не состояла в каких-либо военных блоках в годы войны, что является уникальным случаем. Ещё более удивительными выглядят те обстоятельства, что советские войска не вступали на территорию Финляндии (это была единственная страна, граничившая с СССР, которую не занимала Красная Армия), а Хельсинки наряду с Москвой, Стокгольмом, Берном и Лондоном вошли в число европейских столиц, которые не были оккупированы в годы войны. Наконец, в Финляндии почти не велось преследование евреев.

Финляндия в послевоенные годы сумела занять стойкую позицию нейтралитета, сохранив демократический строй и рыночную экономику, но при этом став одним из важнейших стратегических партнёров СССР. Основой для дальнейшей внешней политики стал заключённый в 1948 году Договор о дружбе, сотрудничестве и взаимной помощи между СССР и Финляндией.

Советско-финская война (1939—1940)
    Переговоры 1938—1939 гг

Anonymous

Well, Finns suffered 70,000 casualties and Soviets around 320,000, and given that Finns only lost part of their land and not whole country, I would say that they defended themselves in super effective fashion from USSR!

It was more decisive victory than Polish one in Polish-Soviet War of 1920. Very, very impressive.

Anonymous

some numbers. (maybe incorrect, maybe correct)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.