• This topic has 3 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

How did the Slovenians call themselves at the time of the creation of Freising manuscripts’ text? As I understand from wikipedia the original text was written in the 9th century and copied in the late 10th or early 11th. How did the Slovenes call themselves then, in the 9th century? What about the end of 10th century/beginning of the 11th? Did they call themselves Carinthians, Slovenes or Slavs?

Anonymous

Slovenes and Slavs are equivalent terms. Slavs is english for Sloveni.

Anonymous

Didn’t you ask similar questions before m8?

For the lack of data we don’t know much about does times. Indeed its not sure if Carniola was tribal entity, under Carinthian supremacy or just some kind of “frontier” region. For what we know is, sources tell us for example old Carniola is described as patria Sclavorum or Carinthia (Carantania) as marca Vinedorum. Both meaning Slavs. As aaaa says origin of Slovenec stems from original term for Slav. Altho its not certain if all Slavic speakers possessed this term.

I know archaic Carinthian Slovene term for Carinthia aka Koroška (modern) is Korotane.

Anonymous

I read on a Kajkavian “language” promoting website that Slovenes
    initially called themselves Carinthians/Carniolans (sorry but I mix them
    up, kranjci was the word if I remember exactly) before starting to call
    themselves Slovenes. If that initial period includes the year when the
    Freising manuscript was first written I don’t know. I don’t find that very plausible but that’s what it is says there.
    Why should that old Slavic dialect be called Old Slovene then, if the people who were speaking it didn’t call themselves Slovenes??? It’s like calling Old Church Slavonic Bulgarian even though OCS name for itself was Slavic, not Bulgarian and the people speaking it, the Slavs around Thessaloniki hadn’t started to call themseles Bulgarians yet, they called themselves Slavs.
    Is the old
    Slovene dialect of that manuscript very similar with Old Church
    Slavonic, given that both the Freising manuscript and the oldest
    surviving OCS text date from approximately the same time, or is Old
    Church Slavonic more archaic whereas Old Slovene is more similar to
    modern Slovene or somewhere in between the 2?
    (What is a Kajkavian
    “language” promoting website? It is a website fighting for the
    recognition of the “Kajkavian language”, that supposedly is neither
    Slovene, nor Croat.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • привет
  • kony97
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • Jan Pat II