• This topic has 8 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Freising Manuscripts or Freising Monuments and in slovene Brižinski spomeniki are oldest known Slavic texts wrriten in latin script.

The Freising Manuscripts were created between 972 and 1039, most likely before 1000. The main support for this dating is the writing style, which was used centuries after Charlemagne. This writing style is named Carolingian minuscule. They are copies of much older texts which are now lost.

This texts are from period when Slavic languages were still very similar so Slavs could still understand each other. Slavic dialect of this manuscripts comes from Mölltal region where Freising abbey had possessions. Mölltal is valley in modern Carinthia. Back then entire area of Carinthia, east-Tyrol and Styria was majority Slavic speaking. After years of Germanisation in Mölltal they didnt need texts anymore so originals are now lost.

In 1803 manuscripts came to the Bavarian State Library in Munich and the Freising Manuscripts were re-discovered there in 1807. The Slovene name Brižinski spomeniki was coined by the Carinthian Slovene philologist Anton Janežič, who Slovenized the German name Freising to Brižinj in 1854. Becouse Anton Janežič was Carinthian Slovene that enabled him to translate these texts much more easily. Slavic dialect of these texts has many similarties to Carinthian Slovene dialects

So how did Mölltal Slavic dialect sound around 8-10th century? Well there is sound reconstruction of these texts. Just click this link; http://www.nuk.uni-lj.si/bs.html

On the left of this link you will see three squares, each square is sound video of three freising texts. This is just reconstruction of the texts so the narrator speaks slowly.

Here on this links there are some big resolution pictures of Freising Manuscripts;

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Freising_Manuscripts

Anonymous

Another great thread from Povhec!  :)
    Thanks!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Another great thread from Povhec!  :)
    Thanks!

Thanks Prelja!

I hope all of you checked out that sound video. And of course post your opinion about this ancient Slavic dialect. To me it sounds like some kind of mixture between Slovene, Serbo-croatian, Polish, Czech and Slovak.

Of course thats just my opinion. I personaly can understand much of that sound video and also text. Only problem i have is reading that wierd Carolingian minuscule.  ;D

Anonymous

Very interesting topic. So much of European history is Western-centered. We never hear of things like the old Slavic Populist states and manuscripts like these.

Anonymous

It's great to hear how it sounds. I read it some time ago, but now I can hear it!  :)  This is the way the Slavs should follow – to show our heritage to the people, to the world.

I agree, all of languages mentioned by Povhec are partially close to this old language.

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about the Slovanská epopej? It is also Slavic history that is not even that well known among contemporary Slavs, let alone the rest of the world.

Anonymous

Thanks for positive responses Husarz and Prelja. Its true but sad fact that Austrians are tryin to suppres their slavic past. Also Austrian dialects of language called Boarisch (true language of Austria) contain many slavic words and other linguistic elements.

Does anyone know anything about the Slovanská epopej? It is also Slavic history that is not even that well known among contemporary Slavs, let alone the rest of the world.

No Husarz i dont. I heard of it but i forgot. Please make thread about it.

Anonymous

Excellent thread! Thanks very much, Pohvec!
    I hope we have more such threads other than stupid infighting we have been seeing here lately.

Anonymous

To me personally Freising manuscript sounds more as mixture of Slovak and Slovenian language. More western Slavic than southern Slavic  :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    To me personally Freising manuscript sounds more as mixture of Slovak and Slovenian language. More western Slavic than southern Slavic  :)

Second that, sounded western sounding. I'd bet serbian sounded like this too. Us being western slavs or polabian from the beginning.

Anonymous

Freising Manuscripts – read

We could merge all these old Slavic threads into one, since this is the third one I am jumping into :) .. would be good to have it on one spot for comparisons.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Freising Manuscripts – read

We could merge all these old Slavic threads into one, since this is the third one I am jumping into :) .. would be good to have it on one spot for comparisons.

In my opinon this one should be seperate since it is not Old Chruch Slavonic but local Slavic dialect from Mölltal valley + it is around 100-200 years younger than Old Church Slavonic. But i know what you mean. Maybe we should make new thread called Comparison of old Slavic texts where we would post old texts in various scripts and compare them.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In my opinon this one should be seperate since it is not Old Chruch Slavonic but local Slavic dialect from Mölltal valley + it is around 100-200 years younger than Old Church Slavonic. But i know what you mean. Maybe we should make new thread called Comparison of old Slavic texts where we would post old texts in various scripts and compare them.

Didn't knew that.

Well, old Slavic and its dialects thread is ok, there we could post any material on old Slavic we come across, like Proglas etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

10 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Nefario
  • Tujev
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • GOGA
  • kony97
  • slovborg